Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#timstwitterlisteningparty

• 18-05-2020 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭

Anyone participating in these?

Tim Burgess (from The Charlatans) curates album listening parties on twitter every day where those involved in their creation chime in with interesting tidbits.

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

I've yet to participate in any of them live but there's a easy way of picking an album from the archive and syncing a listen with the curated twitter timeline.

It's a little 90s/2000s britpop/indie centric but there's plenty of variety there too. I've been finding it very rewarding to set aside an hour every day if possible and just listen to/focus on an album in it's entirety.

Listened to a few of my faves like Cocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas, a few 'recent' albums I've not listened to in a while like Midlakes' The Trials of Van Occupanther and classic albums I've actually never actually listened to before like Teenage Fanclubs Bandwagonesque.

The upcoming schedule looks great too.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No real love for him or the aptly named charlatans but I might tune in for the Dexys albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lordgoat wrote: »
    No real love for him or the aptly named charlatans but I might tune in for the Dexys albums.

I've tuned into a few of them but have always found Tim Burgess to be mediocre at best and he seems to be just pulling gimmicks out of his hole these days to keep himelf slightly relevant.

I enjoyed the aforementioned 'Heaven Or Las Vegas', 'Unknown Pleasures', 'Rattlesnakes' and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not a big fan of the guy either and he's a little too enthusiastic at times for my liking eg "is there any album opener better than xyz?". i'm not sure if he's pandering to the artists or to the masses.

I still really like the idea of setting aside some time right now to just listen to an album in full and there is some great insight to be mined from the actual artists.

Today alone there's The Horrors, Let's Eat Grandma, Dexys and The Streets. That's a very impressive lineup.

Find it much better when it's just a single twitter account doing the commentary, means I can follow without needing to pay attention to what Burgess is saying.

The Let's Eat Grandma one last night was great, I adore this album. Can't believe these girls were 16 when they wrote Donnie Darko.

The Streets one was pretty sh!t but got me to listen to an album I really like that I have not listened to in full in +15 years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm listening to a good bit of Dexys again recently so will give this a go on the listen back function.

One album a week was loads imo. I might actually have tuned in more frequently if there were less albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

One of my favourites up at 20:00 this evening, Camera Obscura's 'Let's Get Out Of This Country'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yay!

Birneybau wrote: »
    One of my favourites up at 20:00 this evening, Camera Obscura's 'Let's Get Out Of This Country'
    I don't think I've ever heard a Camera Obscura song but was planning on giving the whole album a listen at some stage with the replay functionality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Mogwai - Hardcore will never die but you will on tonight, will be tuning in for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard a Camera Obscura song but was planning on giving the whole album a listen at some stage with the replay functionality.

They have some good tunes. Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken is on that album and it's great. I couldn't sort out signing up to Twitter for the Trashcan Sinatras " I've Seen Everything" Bloody technology !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Were ye online for Everything Everything Man Alive tonight? It was absolutely class. I met JH at a festival we played a few years ago and he's very sound. He was getting very nostalgic this evening, it was nice.

I remember when my brother came running up to me to play Photoshop Handsome when it was first released. I think I was about 19 and I was stoned out of my face at the time so you can imagine it really resonated. :D

The whole thing has aged spectacularly well and takes me back to such happy times in my life.

The listening party is such a great idea!

trashcan wrote: »
    They have some good tunes. Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken is on that album and it's great. I couldn't sort out signing up to Twitter for the Trashcan Sinatras " I've Seen Everything" Bloody technology !!
    Enjoyed the album, surprised I hadn't listened to it before.

Will probably check out the Idlewild one later if I can.

Advertisement