Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guitar Tab

• 04-05-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,anyone with time kill and fancy something to do?:)

I mess around with guitar a little but wouldn't be great to be honest.

I'm trying to figure out how Adam Jones of Tool plays the main riff to the song pneuma.
    It should be easy as it looks straight forward on video.
    I start off grand then get a little muddled.

Here is Adam playing it.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_rTjEyn7gj/?igshid=zxc9nna36vrd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

There are so many subtleties in the guitar work on this one it'd take ages to tab it out properly. None of it is difficult, if you get the main riff down it should be pretty straight forward to figure out where he deviates by listening.

The bass intro is the most fun part to play imo, learn to play that on guitar and you're laughing as it's the same thing played on guitar for the most part.

The Axeofcreation video linked here hits on most of the main points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdmjMQWREQ&t=324s

If you can play what's on that tutorial there it should be straight forward to figure out what Adam plays as it's the same except it's moved to the E (dropped down a step) and A strings. If you're struggling let us know and I'll see what I can do.

While you're on that album learn the main riff for descending too, it's a very satisfying riff to play and dead easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

KeithTS wrote: »
    There are so many subtleties in the guitar work on this one it'd take ages to tab it out properly. None of it is difficult, if you get the main riff down it should be pretty straight forward to figure out where he deviates by listening.

The bass intro is the most fun part to play imo, learn to play that on guitar and you're laughing as it's the same thing played on guitar for the most part.

The Axeofcreation video linked here hits on most of the main points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdmjMQWREQ&t=324s

If you can play what's on that tutorial there it should be straight forward to figure out what Adam plays as it's the same except it's moved to the E (dropped down a step) and A strings. If you're struggling let us know and I'll see what I can do.

While you're on that album learn the main riff for descending too, it's a very satisfying riff to play and dead easy!

Thanks Keith.
    I can play the riff like on that YouTube video.
    Just like the way Adam plays it, gives it a bit more oomph.

Will try descending cheers. :)

blade1 wrote: »
    Thanks Keith.
    I can play the riff like on that YouTube video.
    Just like the way Adam plays it, gives it a bit more oomph.

Will try descending cheers. :)

Cool, the notes in the riff are the same just transposed to the bottom strings. I do what's in the video more or less but I beef it up by using the open low D as a pedal, it's wrong but works as it takes the place the bass occupies when you're playing it alone.

Adam plays with his guitar in drop-D so transpose what is played on the A and D strings to the E (dropped down to D) and A strings.

ie, the first section for instance is (the tab is far from right, I don't have a guitar on me, but if used as a guide it will hopefully help a little):

G
    D--7--7
    8--8--7--7--5--5--7--7----3--3--5--5--2--2--0
    A--5--5
    5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5----5--5--5--5--5--5--5
    D

This would translate to:
    G
    D
    A--12--12
    13--13--12--12--10--10--12--12
    8---8---10--10--7---
    D--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12--12-

Thanks Keith it was that last bit that was confusing me.
    A string 8810107.
    That's great,I'll give it a go later.

Here it is.

Adam only plays it like this for the final chorus of the song.
    Every other time it's on the AD strings.

Screenshot-20200509-190906.png

• Advertisement

Fair play, if you did that yourself you have a lot more patience than I do!

KeithTS wrote: »
    Fair play, if you did that yourself you have a lot more patience than I do!

No chance.
    Ultimate guitar tabs. ;)

Advertisement