Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enquiry.

• 12-01-2019 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

I posted this in the parenting section but only got one reply so I will also post it here to see if I get more responses.

I am wondering if there are any Girl Guides groups available for kids aged 5 because my parents want my twin sisters to give it a go if at all possible.

Plus, what sort of activities do they do and what skills will they be taught.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What location? There are two guide organisations - CGI and IGG. Scouts also take both boys and girls. Starts at 6 not 5 in scouts but you would need to get on the waiting list in a lot of areas.

Skillswise I can only talk for scouts - first aid, bushcraft, building structures, fire safety, backwoods cooking, water skills, hillwalking skills - compass and mapwork, hiking, etc, camping, tent pitching, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭seandalaiocht

Orion wrote: »
    What location? There are two guide organisations - CGI and IGG. Scouts also take both boys and girls. Starts at 6 not 5 in scouts but you would need to get on the waiting list in a lot of areas.

Skillswise I can only talk for scouts - first aid, bushcraft, building structures, fire safety, backwoods cooking, water skills, hillwalking skills - compass and mapwork, hiking, etc, camping, tent pitching, among others.

I am a Beaver Leader in Dublin so don't know much about guides but would highly recommend beavers for your girls. My daughter is a Beaver and loves it. We do all the traditional Scouting activities as listed by the previous poster, but also lots of crafts, cooking, games and visits to police stations, airports, jumpzone, bowling etc. We are led by the kids so if your girls are interested in something the leaders should be able to work it into the program.

Advertisement