Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LG OLED BX real world brightness?

• 18-10-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for a new 55" and am between the BX and CX. I've read a bunch of reviews and the BX seems perfectly adequate for my needs, but brightness levels seem to be an issue in most reviews. Apparently the BX is down on the previous B9, and much lower than the CX.

I've seen both the BX and CX in store (although not side by side) and the BX looked fine, but it was on the demo clip so I'm sure that is designed to flatter the capabilities of the set.

What I don't know if this lower brightness makes a difference in the real world versus the test lab?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

walshy123 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for a new 55" and am between the BX and CX. I've read a bunch of reviews and the BX seems perfectly adequate for my needs, but brightness levels seem to be an issue in most reviews. Apparently the BX is down on the previous B9, and much lower than the CX.

I've seen both the BX and CX in store (although not side by side) and the BX looked fine, but it was on the demo clip so I'm sure that is designed to flatter the capabilities of the set.

What I don't know if this lower brightness makes a difference in the real world versus the test lab?

I've seen both together playing regular content in sync and while it's noticeable together it's not a vast real world difference that it's night and day. It'll only be an issue if you like blindingly bright TVs which I personally don't. The benefit of it is that the TV will have a 25% longer lifespans as higher brightness shortens the life of the TV and increases the risk of premature burn in. Ask the guy in the store to play regular content for you and put a HDR video onto a USB stick and ask him to play it for you and you'll quickly see what it'll be like with the very bright room lights of the showroom. They'll be happy to let you control the TV if they think you're interested. Tell them you're concerned about the brightness and want to see it for yourself. Brightness is very subjective. A lot of reviewers love the idea of blush blindingly bright 2000 nit brightness you get from Qleds, others like me don't need TV to be extremely bright. Brightness is a very subjective thing so it's hard to go by reviews as numbers don't mean a whole lot until you see it with your eyes. Everyone has different needs and expectations. The CX is also not as bright as the B9 or C9 last year either. My guess is that it's due to the aggressive brightness control that LG are now implementing as they are aware that brightness causes burn in and are hoping that this will reduce the complaints that their customers are experiencing both in issue from the very bright of panels. Personally anything that will allow the TV a longer lifespan and limit the risk of premature burn in is a good thing for me

Advertisement