Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Hi all,

I have a query and was wondering if someone could help me. We got approval in principle last week and currently bidding on a house. If we manage to go sale agreed do we need to provide the same information again for full approval (i.e. payslips, bank account statements, credit card statements etc) or can someone tell me what full approval entails.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I have a query and was wondering if someone could help me. We got approval in principle last week and currently bidding on a house. If we manage to go sale agreed do we need to provide the same information again for full approval (i.e. payslips, bank account statements, credit card statements etc) or can someone tell me what full approval entails
    I'm 90% you don't need to, bank told us we didn't even need to give p60's

leelee77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a query and was wondering if someone could help me. We got approval in principle last week and currently bidding on a house. If we manage to go sale agreed do we need to provide the same information again for full approval (i.e. payslips, bank account statements, credit card statements etc) or can someone tell me what full approval entails.

Thanks in advance
    Add your reply here, thanks leelee77

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I have a query and was wondering if someone could help me. We got approval in principle last week and currently bidding on a house. If we manage to go sale agreed do we need to provide the same information again for full approval (i.e. payslips, bank account statements, credit card statements etc) or can someone tell me what full approval entails
    I'm 90% you don't need to, bank told us we didn't even need to give p60's

So what do they look for with full approval then? If we go sale agreed do we just give them the house details then and that is that? Or will they look for other things?

So what do they look for with full approval then? If we go sale agreed do we just give them the house details then and that is that? Or will they look for other things?[/quote]
    You'll need to get a surveyors report done and they'll do a valuation of the house first before any funds are released, I know that you'll need to give w booking deposit to the EA. I think as long as you've approval in principle you've already given all your statements and such so I don't see why they'd need anything else. They'd probably want to see if you can pay the stamp duty and solicitor fees too

• Advertisement

So what do they look for with full approval then? If we go sale agreed do we just give them the house details then and that is that? Or will they look for other things?
    You'll need to get a surveyors report done and they'll do a valuation of the house first before any funds are released, I know that you'll need to give w booking deposit to the EA. I think as long as you've approval in principle you've already given all your statements and such so I don't see why they'd need anything else. They'd probably want to see if you can pay the stamp duty and solicitor fees too[/QUOTE]

Thanks Santy. That's great to know

It's a good feeling, excited but bricking it at the same time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Valuation (within 2 months of closing), surveyor's report, house & contents insurance and life assurance needed before funds released to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

not all banks look for surveyors report. We just had to have a valuation done for the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

leelee77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance

If you're bid is successful, you will first need to pay a booking deposit to the EA, usually a certain % of the sale price. You must have these funds yourself and not be part of bank borrowings.

The EA will then issue correspondence to you, the seller, the solicitors on both sides and the bank confirming sale agreed price etc.

You will also need to provide details of the property to the bank to make sure all is correct, often over the phone (sale agreed price, address of property, EA details, Solicitor details etc etc etc).

The bank will then often review the property online and a valuation will be performed by a third party valuer and sent directly to the bank.

You should then arrange for a Engineer to review the property in detail and issue you with a report. Most banks don't request this but it's VITAL that you get this done for your own piece of mind. Its 200-500 Euro and is the best money you'll every spend. My report was 20 pages and had huge amounts of detail even though there wasn't one issue with the house/land.

If the banks checks on the property and valuation report are satisfactory, you will be requested to call into the bank or third party (depending on bank policy) to arrange various Life Assurance, House Insurance, Illness cover etc etc etc. Once this is all completed, a formal letter of offer will be issued to you detailing all the specific financial and legal aspects of the mortgage. Copies also go to your solicitor.

This document will usually cover a period of 3, 6 or 9 months from the date of issue and the sale must be closed in this time, otherwise it will be necessary to re-submit all documents (payslips, bank statements etc)

Separate documents are issued from the life assurance and insurance companies.

It is then up to the solicitors to do their work. Be prepared for this to take anywhere from 4 weeks and UPWARDS depending on how organised everyone else is! There is alot of work in this stage and be prepared for alot of hold-up's and unanswered phone calls/emails. It's the system and there is nothing you can do about it.

You will need to pay 10% of sale price (less deposit already paid to your solicitor in this period).

Once the solicitor is happy to sign off, they will set a closing date with all parties and then send an application to the bank for the loan cheque to be issued. (usually received a day or two before keys are handed over).

You will then be asked by the solicitor to sign contracts and other documents. These will then be given to the sellers solicitor who will arrange for the seller to sign. ONLY WHEN THIS HAPPENS IS THE SALE COMPLETE. Full balance due on the sale is then paid.

Keys are then handed over.

Solicitor then sends you a bill which usually includes Stamp Duty due. Solicitor pays SD to Revenue on your behalf and documents are filed with the relevant authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I would say it's rare to wait so long, I haven't seen people I know furnishing houses wait more than a few weeks for stuff they bought.

we waited 5 months for two sofas to come from Next

we ordered 3 months before moving in which lessened the wait time

our bed took 10 weeks from DFS

It's a good feeling, excited but bricking it at the same time haha

we bought our first place in May

It's a great time

Best of luck to you both

Jen44 wrote: »
    not all banks look for surveyors report. We just had to have a valuation done for the bank.

was it a new build?

no its an old house built in the 60's but the lender didn't ask for surveyors report they just sent a valuer which we paid for. Our solicitor did advise us to get an additional surveyors report but we decided not to.

no its an old house built in the 60's but the lender didn't ask for surveyors report they just sent a valuer which we paid for. Our solicitor did advise us to get an additional surveyors report but we decided not to.

yikes

that surveyor's report is more for your piece of mind than the bank's really

hope everything is ok

Yea we did uncover one or two small issues- an asbestos roof on a shed and water leaking into the garage so we've had to have that roof re felted. But nothing major that would have caused us to pull out of the sale. It would have took something pretty serious and obviously wrong with the house for us to pull out the location was too perfect for us, my parents live on the same road so I grew up on. But it was a risk to take no denying it!

Yea we did uncover one or two small issues- an asbestos roof on a shed and water leaking into the garage so we've had to have that roof re felted. But nothing major that would have caused us to pull out of the sale. It would have took something pretty serious and obviously wrong with the house for us to pull out the location was too perfect for us, my parents live on the same road so I grew up on. But it was a risk to take no denying it!

good to hear :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    we bought our first place in May

It's a great time

Best of luck to you both
    Thanks, it won't be long coming around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

A question about savings/deposit. We've been saving hard (first time buyers) and by payday the end of January we should have enough saved to cover the deposit and the stamp duty. At that point are we ready to go to the banks?
    I'm working off the theory that applying, looking, buying etc will take multiple months from that point, which will give us time to save the rest of the money we'll need for solicitors fees, surveys, basic initial furnishing etc.
    Does that sound reasonable, or should we continue to save for a few more months before officially starting the process?

sounds reasonable!

• Advertisement

Logicost31 wrote: »
    A question about savings/deposit. We've been saving hard (first time buyers) and by payday the end of January we should have enough saved to cover the deposit and the stamp duty. At that point are we ready to go to the banks?
    I'm working off the theory that applying, looking, buying etc will take multiple months from that point, which will give us time to save the rest of the money we'll need for solicitors fees, surveys, basic initial furnishing etc.
    Does that sound reasonable, or should we continue to save for a few more months before officially starting the process?

Thats exactly what we are doing, we are not going to get a house straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Logicost31 wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with starting off the initial process, pre approval will last for long enough and the banks are more than happy if you come back a few months later with more money and look to adjust.

We did that about 4 months after our pre approval and it was a lot quicker than starting from scratch.

Pre approval with BOI is called house hunters and then once you see a place and have the appropriate funds you can get full approval, well that's my understanding after a recent meeting with my local branch

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

Thanks guys, good to know!

I hope someone can answer me this, me and my OH just got our Salary Certs stamped and filled out, mine is fine as I'm permanent full time but herselfs is permanent part time and wage fluctuates but recently over the past 4 months her hours increased to 35 a week on minimum wage and again in the last few weeks she's got an increase in her hourly rate by nearly a euro over Mininum wage, the owner of the company she works for has basically finished this years pay to week 53 and put that down on the salary cert. Would we be better off getting her a new cert for the new year or with this and her 6 recent payslips?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Payslips with explanation should be fine - my 2014 salary cert doesn't align to 2015 payslips for a couple of reasons, and I explained these on the form - neither bank queried it.

lainey316 wrote: »
    Payslips with explanation should be fine - my 2014 salary cert doesn't align to 2015 payslips for a couple of reasons, and I explained these on the form - neither bank queried it.
    Add your reply here.
    Thanks, I was thinking that, she was a bit worried, sure we were told p60s aren't needed now just recent payslips. Now the bank mortgage advisor said this. I suppose I'll believe him.

So handing in mortgage application on Tuesday, I've seen that the BOI say they'll approve within 24 hours, has anybody any dealings lately with BOI when applying for a mortgage and the time for approval especially if a first time buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

So handing in mortgage application on Tuesday, I've seen that the BOI say they'll approve within 24 hours, has anybody any dealings lately with BOI when applying for a mortgage and the time for approval especially if a first time buyer

They approved mine in 3 days. I am a BoI customer.

• Advertisement

They approved mine in 3 days. I am a BoI customer.[/quote]
    Add your reply here.
    Thanks, we are both BOI customers as well. With your application did you name a solicitor or did you actually wait till you bid for a house that was accepted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement