Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supernatural - Season 9 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Wow, like ye said was not expecting that to happen at the end at all! A big loss really, I'm not sure I quite appreciated him as much as I realise I did now as a character.

Guess Cas and Dean will buddycop things up for a while now when it comes back.

Curse these mid-season breaks, I want the next episode now!

Naa my money is on a crowley and dean team up :D

It made it pretty clear that Cas was ducking out for a bit near the end of this episode, crowley is the nearest big gun and it was hinted when dean said crowley never tells the truth that the two of them might get bunked up for a few episodes.

Can I just add that kevin tran might be the most screwed over character in supernatural. I mean if I remember right getting angel burned includes burning your soul up completely, you dont die, you dont go to heaven or hell you just cease.

So after all the sh*t he went through in the last 3 seasons kevin doesnt even get to go to heaven like bobby.

poor ****ing kid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Naa my money is on a crowley and dean team up :D

It made it pretty clear that Cas was ducking out for a bit near the end of this episode, crowley is the nearest big gun and it was hinted when dean said crowley never tells the truth that the two of them might get bunked up for a few episodes.

Can I just add that kevin tran might be the most screwed over character in supernatural. I mean if I remember right getting angel burned includes burning your soul up completely, you dont die, you dont go to heaven or hell you just cease.

So after all the sh*t he went through in the last 3 seasons kevin doesnt even get to go to heaven like bobby.

poor ****ing kid

I forgot about Crowley actually and now that I think about it wouldn't Gadriel and Metatron not be interested in "talking" to Crowley?

My thinking was that Cas doesn't not have to be around Sam now considering what happened.

Not sure I'm happy about Cas getting his mojo back this quickly either, could have done even more with it. Anyway can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

think the writing was on the wall for Kevin anyway. There's only so many times he can be in a back room somewhere working or in a hotel room. There were so many episodes where they explained why he wasn't appearing in the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

how not to do a headline for an article:
    'Supernatural' Season 8 Spoilers: Osric Chau Thanks Fans Following Kevin Tran's Death in 'Holy Terror' VIDEO
    http://www.enstarz.com/articles/30220/20131204/supernatural-season-8-spoilers-osric-chau-thanks-fans-following-kevin-trans-death-in-holy-terror-video.htm

Not only do they put the spoiler in the headline, but even if you were lucky enough to stop after seeing "spoilers", you read they're for season 8 which you've seen all of and keep reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Just finished it this evening, but was aware of what was going to happen.

The paralells with Season 6 Cas is almost too much at this stage. If only Dean had told him to begin with, we may not have had the episode we had tonight.

Why didn't Dean tell Cas, anyway? There was an entire episode where Sam/Ezekiel was no where near them. Why didn't Dean tell Cas then? They have come so far in their relationship, it seems like it's going backwards now, and for no reason.

Hopefully the season will rectify all of this before it ends.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Best-Supernatural-Characters-1073819.aspx

Do you agree with that list?

Bobbby and/or Cas should be numero uno imo

Here's my list. I've decided not to use Cas as he is more main cast than supporting character...

10. Balthazar
    9. Lucifer
    8. Ruby
    7. John Winchester
    6. Bela Talbot
    5. Gabriel
    4. Jo Harvelle
    3. Benny Lafitte
    2. Crowley
    1. Bobby Singer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For X's sake that was dark but very good too. We will definitely see a Dean Crowley team up next year. Poor Kevin..it was never going to end well but that particularly nasty.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Castiel minus a trenchcoat? That's it, I quit!

:)

Seriously though, Good opener though one thing I was wondering while watching this is how come all these angels have just landed on earth yet seem to act more like humans than Cas after all this time?

And is Crowley still in the trunk?

I always figured that Cas was just plain old odd. The other angels who appeared in the show were far more normal and able to adapt quicker to their surroundings. Cas has always been a bit nuts so perhaps that's why he is so literal and tbh I always got a hint of autism or aspergers off of him.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Both of us here very much enjoyed the opener, which set up as strong a potential premise for a season as any since the fifth season. We're getting the angels unleashed as hinted at for a good few years now.

Also think Sam's angle here is a little different than before. Now as usual the brothers are keeping secrets from each other (it wouldn't be 'Supernatural' otherwise) but it does seem like Sam's ready to die. Not angrily, not bitterly but just that he's done his bit and he's ready to rest. How he'll react when he finds out that Dean's undermined his decisions will be interesting.

And of course full time Cas is a great idea. I had feared that they'd give him amnesia but that's not the case. I can imagine that he'll start getting his own faction in a little bit (even if he doesn't want it) and we can really build up to something interesting.

The fact though that the show is still this enjoyable despite being in its ninth season is quite remarkable. Shows what happens when you can re-charge your show a little by bringing back a head writer to freshen it up.

I've always said that I want to see Cas work in a supermarket and I get the impression that he may end up doing something like that this series.

I loved how in the first episode they poked fun at how ofter Sam and Dean died and came back. It's become something of a running joke and must be a Gods send for the writers who can do as they please and always have a character just reappear. I think though that Sam this series may be a little different. It seemed that he had accepted death as he now realises that he's never going to have a normal life. In the the latter half of series 8 he just seemed weary and tired of it all so I can see how enticing the offer to finally be able to say no more is.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    also calling kevin katniss when he misses with the crossbow as a hunger games reference.

One wonders where dean gets the time to see all these shows and movies when he's hunting demons all the time.

Remember that Dean loves day time soap operas and TV so I'm sure he's seen all the talk shows and as such is up to date with his pop culture references.

Episodes 3 and 4 was Supernatural at it's strongest. Hard to believe that it's been on the air for 9 years considering just how fresh this series has felt.

Human Cas was just a treat. His sense of wonder at the simplest things was a joy to watch and the way he told Sam and Dean about doing the nasty was comedy gold. It's nice when the show can slow things down while still advancing the overall plot. The final scene was heart breaking, how anyone could turn Cas away I don't know. It's like finding a sad puppy with a broken leg and kicking it. The whole angels using preachers was an nice twist and one that could possibly grow into something huge. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the show needs to go apocalyptic and follow through on the promise. An army of humans lead by angels could be really interesting and I would like to see Lucifer and Michael freed at some stage. Episode 3 was an all round winner and fresher than any episode of any new show this year.

Episode 4 was equally as good. The whole Dorothy and Oz setup sounded absolutely ridiculous but it really worked and has opened u a whole slew of possibilities. That Sam and Dean never ventured to Oz was disappointing but there's a good chance that they may be get an opportunity to do so in a future episode. Personally speaking, Dean and Cas fighting flying monkeys just sounds like the greatest thing ever. It's nice to see Crowley developing as a character. He was always one of the shows strongest assets and his vulnerability was interesting. He's one of the few characters who can commit horrific acts and you still like and warm to him every time he's on screen. I can see Dean and him teaming up at some point, especially if his crown is stole by Abaddon.

I'm really liking how the series is unfolding. There's a sense of weight to Sam and Dean this year that's been missing for awhile. There's a finality about death that means that time may actually be running out and there may be no come back.

Glad to see you've been catching up on this Darko. 5 more episodes and you'll be up to date. They're 5 pretty damn good episodes too.
    Completely agree with you that it's amazing a show in its 9th series feels so fresh.

• Advertisement

Glad to see you've been catching up on this Darko. 5 more episodes and you'll be up to date. They're 5 pretty damn good episodes too.
    Completely agree with you that it's amazing a show in its 9th series feels so fresh.

It's one of those shows that I started watching when it first aired and liked it so much that I decided to wait for the DVDs so I could binge. Then when the whole 5 year story was repeatedly mentioned I decided to wait. Decided awhile back that it was time to get caught up and worked through the series in record time. There's been a few ups and downs but the ups outweighs the lows considerably and as I type Sam is conversing with a dog and barking at a postman which is possibly the greatest thing ever.

The awesomeness continues. Episode 5 was a work of genius. Dean conversing with the dog and getting in a fight with the pigeon was comedy genius. I haven't laughed as long and as for in years. The scene where Dean and the dog were hanging out of the car is my all time favourite Supernatural image, it summed up everything I love about the show and how willing it is to poke fun at itself.

Episode 6 kept the standard high and an episode dedicated to Cas is always great. Finally got my wish to see him working in a menial job and it was just great. It was the small moments that really made it work. Cas throwing the stick in the bin and then turning for a high five and being left hanging, the moment where like a shy schoolgirl he nervously waved good bye to Dean who was looking on with such pride and happiness. It just felt like the show saying, we've done this for 9 years so let's have a lil fun. Cas with the baby was really nice and allowed the writers to display Cas's innocence. Much like the baby, Cas was recently dropped into the world and hasn't a clue what to do.

Episode 7 was every bit as good as the show has ever been. It was a nice change of pace and I loved that we got to see a little more of Dean's backstory. I'm assuming that Jeffrey Dean Morgan has offended Kripke or others as they've really gone out of their way to paint him as a dick. Sonny who looks just like Josh Brolin was a nice addition to the cast and with the death of Bobby we've been lacking a father figure for the boys, though I'm getting the impression that Crowley is being developed into that position. Really can't wait to see where the show goes and I'm dreading 90 minutes from now as ill have to wait 6 whole weeks for another fix.

The awesomeness continues. Episode 5 was a work of genius. Dean conversing with the dog and getting in a fight with the pigeon was comedy genius. I haven't laughed as long and as for in years. The scene where Dean and the dog were hanging out of the car is my all time favourite Supernatural image, it summed up everything I love about the show and how willing it is to poke fun at itself.

Episode 6 kept the standard high and an episode dedicated to Cas is always great. Finally got my wish to see him working in a menial job and it was just great. It was the small moments that really made it work. Cas throwing the stick in the bin and then turning for a high five and being left hanging, the moment where like a shy schoolgirl he nervously waved good bye to Dean who was looking on with such pride and happiness. It just felt like the show saying, we've done this for 9 years so let's have a lil fun. Cas with the baby was really nice and allowed the writers to display Cas's innocence. Much like the baby, Cas was recently dropped into the world and hasn't a clue what to do.

Episode 7 was every bit as good as the show has ever been. It was a nice change of pace and I loved that we got to see a little more of Dean's backstory. I'm assuming that Jeffrey Dean Morgan has offended Kripke or others as they've really gone out of their way to paint him as a dick. Sonny who looks just like Josh Brolin was a nice addition to the cast and with the death of Bobby we've been lacking a father figure for the boys, though I'm getting the impression that Crowley is being developed into that position. Really can't wait to see where the show goes and I'm dreading 90 minutes from now as ill have to wait 6 whole weeks for another fix.

You are going to hate that 6 week wait...

So all caught up and really loving the series and how it's unfolding bepisode 8 was a nice change of pace and the playful nature of it really worked. Dean's look of unparalled joy when he saw the DVD and then the girl was heartwarming. The old ancient God felt like something from the earlier series and was a nice change of pace and nod to the early days.

Episode 9 was the show at its strongest. We finally got to discover just what the angels and Metatron were up to and it's set up quite an interesting second half to the series. Cas was fantastic this episode and his using the badge Dean gave him was Cas at his best. Getting his powers back was a little odd and unexpected but I'm glad that they did it as I want to see Cas back kicking ass bathe death of Kevin was really unexpected though once Metatron handed over the paper it was clear what was about to transpire. Dean's attempt to clear the air with Sam was heartbreaking and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we don't see old Sam any time again. The Trickster did tell Sam that his love of Dean would be the death of him so I'm thinking that we may see the brothers at odds and the last bit of Sam may throw himself on the sword to save his brother.

I'm loving the series and how after 9 years its just going from strength to strength. There's no other show airing that's managed to be so consistantly entertaining. Criminal Minds began around the same time and the standard has done nothing but drop over the past 4 years till it just became unwatchable. I'm genuinely excited about the spinoff and hoping that they may set it in New York and follow the army of hunters who appeared in the comic books. The beauty of the spinoff is that we can have all the old favourites pop up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed your recent thoughts on the other seasons.

Very good episode. Stuff started to fall into place - Cas, Sam, etc. Cas was badass and funny. The show is pretty much incapable of sustaining female characters, at all. A shame about Kevin, not a huge fan, but felt for him at the end.

I thought it was a cracking return after 6+ weeks in the wilderness. The cold opening was fantastic and it was great to have Crowley back doing stuff.

However the whole "oh the brothers are pissed at each other lets have them split up for an episode and realise they need each other" that always happens wasn't needed. I get Sam may not be hunky dory and I assume himself and Cas will just go back to the bunker and help him heal while Dean goes tracking down Gadreel. I suppose it's as much a part of the show as having "Carry on my Wayward Son" play at the start of the Road so far on the finales, which is the greatest part of every season :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it was a great episode. Glad they let Crowley off the leash too - he is more fun when mobile (the basement mentor role was getting a bit stale).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very strong episode - content, dynamics and execution. Hit the reset button. Cas was great - his pimp mobile, punch and I'm guessing the lines about his hotness were a nod to online stuff. Seeing Crowley let loose was fun - pins in the head are handy, right? Good scene at the end. Yeah, Sam's semi-retired, or whatever, but hey!

'Welcome to the party, pal'. Nice Die Hard shout out. ;)

What a fantastic piece of television and it's a real shame that come awards season that the show never gets the attention or acclaim it deserves as I'd go so far as to say that Supernatural is every bit as good if not better than Mad Men, The Walking Dead, etc.

The standard after 9 series is unmatched in modern TV and there's shows which began last September which are staler and less interesting.

Dean's reaction to Kevin's death was one of the shows most compelling moments. It allowed Dean to deal with all the guilt he's had pent up without having to rely on a generic bleeding heart conversation. The built that the brothers fell, Dean in particular is the cornerstone of the show and as such it's important but it can also get a little tiresome. Dean's constant inner battle is understandable but a lot of the time can rob the show of some of it's fun. What I always find shocking about the show is that at times the stars are often the least interesting thing in it. This week was a perfect example with Crowley and Cas stealing the show.

Cas's car was just a smile inducing moment and Crowley's attempt to call shotgun had me laughing out loud. Crowley setting in motion an election in hell was inspired and his speech was a highpoint. Unshackling him was the smartest thing the writers have done in awhile and his line about how he's the "goodest guy" the boys have perfectly sums him up. Hard to see any other show taking the God damned Devil and making him into the most moral and honest character in the show.

Gadreel has been a great villain and his back-story is interesting and ensures that he's so much more than just another villain. There's a complexity to him and his actions that has me interested in getting to know more about him. His scene with Abner, who I took to be his boyfriend was great. It's interesting that the show would hint at such a relationship between the angels as it opens up a number of avenues for the show to explore. I always took the angels to be sex less entities but if they were able to engage in relationships then the angel war could be far more interesting than just angel vs angel.

The shows biggest misstep was killing off Crowley's NSA demon. It's an interesting and topical little nod and she had quite a lit of potential. Still her death was rather well handled and quite ironic given that we now have a demon who doesn't like disloyalty, something which is at the very heart of all demons.

Really cannot wait to see how the rest of the series and beyond plays out. There's nothing else on atm that comes close to matching Supernatural for sheer entertainment and hopefully people will begin to recognise the show for the intelligent, well made adult drama that it is. So many people still write it off as two hot guys looking good while killing demons when in fact it's one of the most layered and intelligent shows on TV. Even better is the fact that it's the rare show that loves nothing more than to poke fun at itself.

Am I the only one desperate to know why it is dogs were put here on earth? I'm hoping that they work it into the overall story somehow and that only Dean will be privy to the truth

• Advertisement

What a fantastic piece of television and it's a real shame that come awards season that the show never gets the attention or acclaim it deserves as I'd go so far as to say that Supernatural is every bit as good if not better than Mad Men, The Walking Dead, etc.

The standard after 9 series is unmatched in modern TV and there's shows which began last September which are staler and less interesting.

Dean's reaction to Kevin's death was one of the shows most compelling moments. It allowed Dean to deal with all the guilt he's had pent up without having to rely on a generic bleeding heart conversation. The built that the brothers fell, Dean in particular is the cornerstone of the show and as such it's important but it can also get a little tiresome. Dean's constant inner battle is understandable but a lot of the time can rob the show of some of it's fun. What I always find shocking about the show is that at times the stars are often the least interesting thing in it. This week was a perfect example with Crowley and Cas stealing the show.

Cas's car was just a smile inducing moment and Crowley's attempt to call shotgun had me laughing out loud. Crowley setting in motion an election in hell was inspired and his speech was a highpoint. Unshackling him was the smartest thing the writers have done in awhile and his line about how he's the "goodest guy" the boys have perfectly sums him up. Hard to see any other show taking the God damned Devil and making him into the most moral and honest character in the show.

Gadreel has been a great villain and his back-story is interesting and ensures that he's so much more than just another villain. There's a complexity to him and his actions that has me interested in getting to know more about him. His scene with Abner, who I took to be his boyfriend was great. It's interesting that the show would hint at such a relationship between the angels as it opens up a number of avenues for the show to explore. I always took the angels to be sex less entities but if they were able to engage in relationships then the angel war could be far more interesting than just angel vs angel.

The shows biggest misstep was killing off Crowley's NSA demon. It's an interesting and topical little nod and she had quite a lit of potential. Still her death was rather well handled and quite ironic given that we now have a demon who doesn't like disloyalty, something which is at the very heart of all demons.

Really cannot wait to see how the rest of the series and beyond plays out. There's nothing else on atm that comes close to matching Supernatural for sheer entertainment and hopefully people will begin to recognise the show for the intelligent, well made adult drama that it is. So many people still write it off as two hot guys looking good while killing demons when in fact it's one of the most layered and intelligent shows on TV. Even better is the fact that it's the rare show that loves nothing more than to poke fun at itself.

Yes. All of this. Couldn't have said it better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,983 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »
    Supernatural spin-off in development by the CW (plus some info about Season 9).

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-things-get-supernatural-in-hall-h

Episode 20 of this season will be the backdoor pilot for the spin off

So very happy they backtracked from making Crowley the big bad as they did in season 8. He fits his chaotic neutral role so much more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm not sure if I was thrilled with that episode or not...Jared Padalecki has, again, convinced me that the man should just be handed an emmy. He's consistently been brilliant, but the last two episodes have been phenomenal performances. The growth of Sam and Cas' relationship was really well handled here, and seeing Dean and Crowley team up was...interesting.

It almost seems to be setting it up for the opposite of the 2014 universe we saw in season five, in that Sam is on the side of the angels, and Dean is on the side of the demons. Or am I reading WAY too far into this?

Not if you believe what was revealed about Cain and Abel at the end of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought the latest episode was fantastic, and one of my favourites this season. Dean is a bit thick when he failed to see the possible burden that the Mark of Cain carries with it (duh!), but it will play well into the rest of the season.

The one thing about this episode that stood out for me (more than the Sam/Cas stuff, how badass Cain was as a character, the cleverness of Cain's backstory, etc.) was just how bloody FUNNY the script was. There were 3 or 4 big belly laughs that most full comedy shows would have trouble achieving.

I particularly loved the bee (when Crowley met Cain) - a genius comedic touch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be honest I'm surpised it's taken this long to get the Cain and Abel link in for the Winchester's.

This really was a fun episode Dean and Crowley roadtrip is so good that I'm not missing the Sam and Dean together.

Another cracking episode this season. I absolutely loved Cain and this season is getting very interesting, I just wonder how exactly the mark will affect Dean.

It's about time Sam and Cas had some quality time together too although Dean and Crowley teaming up is great to watch. It really is feeling as fresh as ever again since Jeremy Carver took over in Season 8.

Cain was charismatic. Hope we see more of him.

Guinea pig. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

To be honest I'm surpised it's taken this long to get the Cain and Abel link in for the Winchester's.

This really was a fun episode Dean and Crowley roadtrip is so good that I'm not missing the Sam and Dean together.

I think it was Season four or five, one of the angels said that their bloodline came from Cain and Abel. Just a throwaway remark, but I'm counting it as foreshadowing.

Advertisement