Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I was in town today to use up a gift voucher for a floatation session and massage I was given for my birthday. Such a lovely relaxing way to spend the afternoon, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    My reason for posting about it though is to say, bloody hell to those using public transport! Be a little nicer and more considerate of obviously pregnant women. It goes for anyone really who needs a little extra understanding or tolerance and patience shown to them.
    I got the bus in which was grand and got the bus home again around 5:30pm. The stampede to get on the bus was nuts and I was shoved and pushed about quite a bit. In the end the lovely bus driver let a roar of "take it easy" out of him and the melee lessened a bit and I got a seat thankfully.
    I am just so glad that I don't have to deal with that kind of carry on every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Going for my 20 week scan in a few hours :D Does anyone know if you need a full bladder for this one?

@Penny I'm so glad to have a parking space at work, such a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No you don't need a full bladder for this one. Good luck :D

Having very little experience with babies, I fear I'm only thinking about the obvious things that will be needed. Like buggy, car-seat, cot, clothes. I'm sure there are a wealth of other items that will be necessary!

If you are unsure if you are breastfeeding or not, should you buy a steriliser and bottles just in case? How do you choose the bottles?

At what age would you usually begin to use a playpen? (are these still used?)

So far, I have a moses basket, crib and pram. I will not have to buy too many clothes at the start, but what is absolutely necessary?

What did you realise you needed and were surprised you hadn''t previously thought of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Whispered wrote: »
    No you don't need a full bladder for this one. Good luck :D

Having very little experience with babies, I fear I'm only thinking about the obvious things that will be needed. Like buggy, car-seat, cot, clothes. I'm sure there are a wealth of other items that will be necessary!

If you are unsure if you are breastfeeding or not, should you buy a steriliser and bottles just in case? How do you choose the bottles?

At what age would you usually begin to use a playpen? (are these still used?)

So far, I have a moses basket, crib and pram. I will not have to buy too many clothes at the start, but what is absolutely necessary?

What did you realise you needed and were surprised you hadn''t previously thought of?

Hi whispered,
    I would buy the steriliser and bottles just in case. We use tommee tippee as we were breastfeeding/expressing, after 4 weeks my milk stopped so he had to go fully on formula. I would recommend a playpen/travel cot as you have a dog/dogs but I didn't need it till 6 months when he grew out of pram. I would also buy baby/dog gates if you haven't already. I wouldn't go too mad on clothes as you get sooooooooo many presents. Most people give you outfits not vests, bibs, socks and babygrows so I would buy them :) I got 5 up to 1 month baby grows 5 up to 1 month vests then the rest were 0-3 months. Up to 1 month only lasted him 10 days!!!

That's great thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Whispered, I breast fed for only the first week but i didn't buy any bottles or a steriliser until I had decided to stop breast feeding. They can be easily picked up in a chemist/supermarket. My husband just popped out and picked them up when we realised we needed them.
    With regards to clothes, I would buy some babygros and vests (at least 10 of each if you have none), some scratch mitts, a couple of hats and some kind of jacket/cardigan.
    You will most likely get soooo many presents for the baby that you won't need to buy clothes for the first while, other than babygros and vests.
    A couple of cellular blankets will be needed, a changing mat of some description (any wipeable one should be fine), sheets for moses basket. I found a support for the baby in the bath good. We didn't bother with a baby bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Plek Trum posted this yesterday and I thought it was great value, bought the newborn starter kit and steriliser with some burp cloths to take it over the €30 for free delivery :)
    Plek Trum wrote: »
    Great sake in Guineys on Avent products - got microwave steriliser and newborn bottle starter pack for 26euros. Exact same items in Boots come to over 70euros.

http://guineys.ie/baby-nursery/feeding-time.html

Brilliant, thanks! I was looking through the list on the link and will admit to being very confused by the nipple brush. Until I realised it was referring to bottle teats. :o:o:o

What is the purpose of a soother. Does the baby learn to be soothed by it or are the naturally soothed by it? Can they be skipped altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Every scan I had with my first he was sucking thumb and fist and thought I'll get a soother for him just as well too he loves it.. (16 months) with my second I've tried her again and again and she hates them prefers her fingers (3 and half months old) some like them others don't I'd have 1 just to be safe..

That's great thanks a million!

I just ordered 6 tommee tippee from amazon £10 to have just in case and then I bought the tommee tippee steriliser it was around €30ish and you get a free small tommee tippee bottle. I didn't know anything about bottle feeding and in hindsight if I was going to bottle feed I would buy the dr browns as if baby has colic etc you will end up buying them anyway! I am so glad I had them as I was very sore after the birth and found it painful to walk for a good month :eek:

• Advertisement

So you'd recommend Dr Browns then over others? How many bottles do you need to buy?

Maybe we need a "first timer silly questions" thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I need that too!

Sure I'll start one up so. :)

Although maybe the q's are ok here. If people can put up with my very rudimentary knowledge of babies!

So you'd recommend Dr Browns then over others? How many bottles do you need to buy?

The reason I say dr browns is that if your baby gets colic or reflux you will more than like likely end up buying dr browns. I had intended to exclusively breastfed and only bought the tommee tippee bottles because they were soooo cheap! I bought their breast pump too and you can pump directly Into the bottles :) my baby didn't get colic/reflux thank god! We used madela as I had to rent a hospital pump and used avent as I borrowed a avent double pump. He was not one bit fussy and took all the teets! I had a crazy amount of bottles as I was pumping but 6 would be grand plus you will get a small bottle free with your steriliser :) my baby fed every 2 hours :eek: as the breast milk isn't as filling as formula hence the need for all the bottles!

One of my midwives raved about these http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAM-Anti-Colic-Self-Sterilising-Bottle-Starter/dp/B004BATV96 this is a good deal, no need for a steriliser as you just put each bottle in microwave with a little water in each bottle and unless I'm reading it wrong you get 8 bottles which includes 4 big ones. They have 6 tommee tippee for £7.20 that is the cheapest I have seen them :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Feeding-Bottles/dp/B004GCJFA4/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1406648645&sr=1-6&keywords=Bottle+set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'm on the couch with my three day old strapped to my chest feeding for her third consecutive hour, breastfeeding is wonderful, but it's hard work. If you think you'd like to bf I personally think it's not good to get any bottle supplies "just in case" because it's soooo tempting to give up and use them :o We didn't get anything and this way I have to really make sure I put the effort into figuring out how the bf works (there's a lot to learn!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Fair play to you Jerrica I have made the decision not to be, but I'm sure the nurses will make me feel like the world's worst for not!

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Jerrica I have made the decision not to be, but I'm sure the nurses will make me feel like the world's worst for not!

Lashes28 don't mind them. :)

I've made a decision that I'm not going to put myself under pressure over it to be honest. I will try but if it's too much I'm not gonna beat myself up over it. I'm actually leaning towards bottles at the moment.

Lashes, do you mind me asking if there is a reason for you? For me, I'm leaning that way for purely selfish reasons. I am finding it difficult sharing my body, I don't feel like myself. I'm looking forward to getting myself back. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Tell me to myob if you like!

Lashes28 wrote: »

It's your decision and yours alone, and you don't need to justify that to anyone :) Breastfeeding is the right way for me, but I'm the only one who knows what my own circumstances are and you know yours. There's a huge amount of judgement of pregnant women and new mums from all angles, but your only concern is keeping baby happy and healthy and if you know you're doing that then fcuk the begruders :)

• Advertisement

Sometimes breastfeeding doesn't work out with the best will in the world and for me it really was a grieving process. I ended up with exhaustion and my milk stopped it was very bizarre. I always think things happen for a reason and looking back on it now I must have been an absolute nightmare to live with due to lack of sleep/rest. I was one of these people who wanted to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months and keep feeding till the baby was 2!!! Yes 2 I look back now and laugh :) I didn't know myself when we went on formula it was soooo much easier. I am glad he got 4 weeks of it and the next baby I will try to breastfed again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Jerrica it sounds like your little baby is cluster feeding. Lilly did that for the first 6 weeks. It's exhausting to say the least! I literally had to sit on the couch or lie in bed watching tv (which Wasnt so bad! ;)) from 7-10pm every night! But the positive is that if they cluster feed at night before bed they are filling themselves up for a good nights sleep. I know Lilly would usually only wake once during the night (sometimes twice) in those early days... Unless its a growth spurt of course.

I always had a "we'll see how it goes approach" to breastfeeding. Would never have been adverse to giving a bottle... And would have if I felt so stressed and needed rest or whatever... But I never ended up needing to. Mums need to mind themselves aswell as their babies. But I love bfing. The bonus is its just so handy! You can leave the house with a nappy abd that's all u need :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Jerrica it sounds like your little baby is cluster feeding. Lilly did that for the first 6 weeks. It's exhausting to say the least! I literally had to sit on the couch or lie in bed watching tv (which Wasnt so bad! ;)) from 7-10pm every night! But the positive is that if they cluster feed at night before bed they are filling themselves up for a good nights sleep. I know Lilly would usually only wake once during the night (sometimes twice) in those early days... Unless its a growth spurt of course.

I always had a "we'll see how it goes approach" to breastfeeding. Would never have been adverse to giving a bottle... And would have if I felt so stressed and needed rest or whatever... But I never ended up needing to. Mums need to mind themselves aswell as their babies. But I love bfing. The bonus is its just so handy! You can leave the house with a nappy abd that's all u need :)

And let's not forget no stress in making up formula!!! Which I found very stressful indeed so much so that I bought that tommee tippee machine.

Did ye find it hard having to continue to restrict your diets?

I think you're right Sligo, and fingers crossed we get a good sleep afterwards!!

This is new??? What should I be restricting? Hahaha... I'm eating as I always have. I don't drink coffee anyway and wouldn't be one for spicey food. I eat chocolate every night and I'm a fiend for dairy and cream. Have cream on my scones everyday. If Lilly was having problems due to what I was eating well I'd cut back then...

I just found not being allowed to take nurofen very very annoying!!!! I wished for it so much when I got migraines during pregnancy! I found it hard having to drink sooooo much water as I am not a great water drinker.

I could be wrong but I thought you had to eat in the same way as you do when pregnant, so no alcohol, caffeine, runny/raw eggs, soft cheeses etc.

Millem I've been so lucky so far, I had about a week of extreme sinus pain, to the point I was in tears because I couldn't take anything for it, but otherwise, nothing. I can't imagine how hard it must be to suffer migraine during pregnancy and not be able to take anything.

Millem wrote: »
    I just found not being allowed to take nurofen very very annoying!!!! I wished for it so much when I got migraines during pregnancy! I found it hard having to drink sooooo much water as I am not a great water drinker.

Millem are we not meant to take nurofen??

• Advertisement

Just checked... You can take nurofen when breastfeeding :)... Phew!

Advertisement