Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nothing I wrote "blames" women. It's a simple fact. Feminism is not about equality, which is what the OP referred to. A world of total equality. Feminism is about women's rights, not equality... hence why I mentioned Egalitarianism, which is about equality.

But then I know someone would be along to misrepresent what was posted to make women into victims. :rolleyes:

Your interpretation of feminism isn't, necessarily, the correct one.
    Feminism, as I understand it, is about gaining equal rights and opportunities for women.

I struggle with the word feminist and would prefer the word egalitarian too but the rise of feminism must be viewed in the context of the appalling lack of rights and opportunities available to women at the time.

I don't think you get to decide what feminism means.

I don't think you get to decide what feminism means.

Hilarious. I don't get to define feminism, but you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

i'd take out my phone and start a thread about how i still havent got muh amazon package after a whole 2 days.

Hilarious. I don't get to define feminism, but you do?

I should have said, you don't get to redefine feminism.

I offered an opinion as to what I believe feminism means.
    I believe it is pretty much the accepted meaning.

You, on the other hand, have redefined it to suit an apparent antifeminist position.

"the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

I should have said, you don't get to redefine feminism.

I offered an opinion as to what I believe feminism means.
    I believe it is pretty much the accepted meaning.

You, on the other hand, have redefined it to suit an apparent antifeminist position.

"the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

You defined feminism based on your own opinion. Telling me that I couldn't do the same, with my own opinion.

Oh... and nothing I said about feminism, in either of my posts, was negative. Not anti-feminist. Simply that feminism was about women's rights. Which it is.

• Advertisement

Hardly. Feminists see women as being more valuable than men. .

This bit is the problematic statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Always someone has to come along and suck the fun out of every AH Titanic thread we have.. smh

Klaz and the beer revolu, don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Drink a **** ton of whiskey (to keep warm throughout the night and take the edge of what is to come) be dressed in my finest and hedge my bets on collapsible boat D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Drink a **** ton of whiskey (to keep warm throughout the night and take the edge of what is to come) be dressed in my finest and hedge my bets on collapsible boat D.

This. I think some dude actually survived this way. I'd drink every drop of top shelf whiskey I could find.

1. Drink as much whiskey as possible.
    2.????????????
    3. Wake up on rescue boat.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would have used jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Sky King wrote: »
    Make a raft out of lifeboats.

Surely a lifeboat would contain enough high quality lumber to make a raft ?

I'd say I laughed for a full minute at this. Bravo!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Violet Jessop was an Irish nurse (well here parents were Irish), she survived the sinking, and the sinking of the Titanic's sister ship as well. In fact I think if you saw her on board it was probably best to nab a life jacket early.

Maybe it wasn't an iceberg that did the job? Maybe this Jessop character was a serial sinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This. I think some dude actually survived this way. I'd drink every drop of top shelf whiskey I could find.

2.????????????

Yeah, that actually happened. He had the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would have picked up a child and pleaded with the crew that I was it's only hope.

ASSUMING I'M NOT LOCKED IN like most of the 3rd class souls....

Story

Mr xiann, 49, was a single 3rd class male Passenger that boarded at Queenstown after disembarking the train from Dublin Kingsbridge which he got the previous day. Out on deck when the collision occurred. He was a curious type and artfully hung around to see how the story would unfold.

After being denied any lifeboat point blank because of his 3rd class ticket, and his Dublin accent, xiann stepped into the water after 60 minutes. xiann had learned to swim a little bit by swimming twice before, once age 35 and then age 36 with his cousin mic who was a farm labourer in lough corrib, for his 5am morning proverbial.
    Now the water was much cder.
    xiann swam for the nearest iceberg he could camber onto........ He was feeling VERY COLD AND Tired at this point.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its a scary thing. Ships going down and the water is freezing cold. All you can do i guess is to grab something you think would float and jump over. The alternative is going down with the ship and there's no hope in surviving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

If you were on the Titanic with miraculous foresight of how history pans out it would be fairly easy to survive. Be ready at the first lifeboat to launch with a packed lunch and lots of blankets.

In reality without knowing how things would go, you'd take the crews advice and go back to bed, probably a little annoyed at the panicking fools disturbing your sleep. When you inevitably woke up later with the ship listing worryingly and everyone screaming, you'd try to get up on deck in your slippers and nightgown and more than likely go down with the ship like everyone else who believed the crew when they said it was nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

You wouldn't need to ....

Just go to the starboard side ....they let men on that side. And the boats left half empty that side too. Like LITERALLY at half capacity. It was only portside that they refused the men.

All you had to do ...was LISTEN to the crew and go promptly. Which many did not do. Reports say they continued dancing and laughing up until the boat was listing.

Well damn, I've already changed into drag anyway. The night was just going that way, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah, that actually happened. He had the right idea.

This guy.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/charles-joughin-titanic-anniversary-april-15-drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Also, I think there was something about it being a myth about being sucked down - I read something somewhere that said if were on the stern as it went under you could literally hop off into the water and not get pulled down.

Mythbusters tested it with a tug boat that they could sink on command. They weren't sucked down if my memory is correct.

• Advertisement

What would your strategy for survival be? Every time I see the movie at Christmas, that's what I'm imagining myself on board. One thing you could do would be to jump into the water early and swim after one of the half filled life boats. There's no way they could refuse you.

Would it be possible to make a raft with all the materials around you? that is if you could find a hammer and nails. I honestly reckon I could do this with no bother at all, if I had 2 hours. Although when people would see you putting your raft in the water some people would probably try and hop on too. You would need something like rope and something as an oar, and you'd be absolutely fine if you got into the water soon enough to avoid the suction from the stern going down.

They could and probable would absolutely refuse you. They left you behind in the first place!

Jumping in early has been shown time and time again to be a deadly error in such scenarios, a ship of that size going under is absolutely dragging your ass with it if you are beside it at the start. Humans can only take about 30 metres at best. Your average person far less.

Your hammer and nails. Are these objects commonly found on cruise liner passenger sections? Assuming they are then I guess you could probable put something together. Would it survive the plunge though?

At a stab, a vest and a floating object is probable all you couold achieve. In those conditions its unlikely that anyone going into the water would survive even if they got back out though unless one of the rafts provided a blanket or dry clothing.

Perhaps a closed object? Trunk or similar?
    Mythbusters tested it with a tug boat that they could sink on command. They weren't sucked down if my memory is correct.

The size of the object is possible the most important aspect. A tug compared to the Titanic. Did the tug pull down a mouse that was beside it at the start?

Mind you, I would have told that fecking slapper to move the **** over as well. Jack died because she refused to sit in the lifeboat!

ASSUMING I'M NOT LOCKED IN like most of the 3rd class souls....

Story

Mr xiann, 49, was a single 3rd class male Passenger that boarded at Queenstown after disembarking the train from Dublin Kingsbridge which he got the previous day. Out on deck when the collision occurred. He was a curious type and artfully hung around to see how the story would unfold.

After being denied any lifeboat point blank because of his 3rd class ticket, and his Dublin accent, xiann stepped into the water after 60 minutes. xiann had learned to swim a little bit by swimming twice before, once age 35 and then age 36 with his cousin mic who was a farm labourer in lough corrib, for his 5am morning proverbial.
    Now the water was much cder.
    xiann swam for the nearest iceberg he could camber onto........ He was feeling VERY COLD AND Tired at this point.........

The locked away story has been firmly debunked.

He was an adult male, considering the shortage of lifeboats, he probable should have been refused

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pummice

Get your hands on some engine grease, vaseline, stuff like that. Cover your body in it and that will give you extra time if you are in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2.????????????

It was the head chef I think who necked a bottle of top shelf and yeah it helped him survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pummice wrote: »
    Get your hands on some engine grease, vaseline, stuff like that. Cover your body in it and that will give you extra time if you are in the water

Meanwhile you drown while searching a huge ship for industrial size quantities of these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I just say "fcuk this" and go head first into the propeller as the ship sank.

BduHFF.gif

Can't believe no one climbed onto the iceberg and built an igloo. Live on penguins and water until rescued

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I'd first of all fill my belly with brandy to keep my insides warm then as I enter the water swim to the nearest lifeboat all the time hiding my irish accent as I call out as the boat may be full of posh types who might not want a mick onboard.."Help my name is Samuel Smithers from kent please save me" would be my cry

That'd be the way I'd play it,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was the head chef I think who necked a bottle of top shelf and yeah it helped him survive.

Yes and set a big fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Didnt know there was so many Titanic anoraks. Fairplay

Advertisement