Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cliched Phrases on Boards

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

maybe its mentioned already but the term 'simples' at the end of an explanation is still used. drives me nuts.

also sticking on 'you're welcome' at the end. like when you ask a question and someone comes back with a glaringly obvious bit of advice that clearly you had not considered. and usually its crap advice. for example...

me: does anyone know where i can get a few pairs of jeans fixed in town...got some holes in them

internet person: go to Dunnes and buy a sewing kit for a 2 euros. do it yourself. you're welcome.

Simples is number 1

It's like a moron who thinks he's talking to morons but doesn't realise he's one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,489 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Moron, idiot, imbecile, cretin, mouth breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

filler episode, especially on less the 12 ep shows

"No ones forcing you to watch it" or "if you don't like it change the channel" on thread discussions about TV shows, films etc.
    "Um... so what TV scripts have you written yourself?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This is my last post on the subject......

blah

blah

OK, that's me out

I know I said I was finished but can I just say that my last tantrum didnt have the desired effect, I was still lurking and finally got pissed off enough that nobody listened to me the first time to post again Poster 1, 2 and 3 you are still wrong about everything you are posting about. Ok now Im off to enjoy the sunshine because I actually have a life, and I suggest you all do the same
    I don't have a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Lurleen wrote: »
    Have I gone back to 2008? Where are Terry and Karoma? And the good Doctor Testicle?

Don’t know what you’re talking about. I just found this account underneath a sofa cushion and started using it.

On topic: assuming people must’ve died or had some catastrophic falling out and re-regged if they stop posting on Boards.

also sticking on 'you're welcome' at the end. like when you ask a question and someone comes back with a glaringly obvious bit of advice that clearly you had not considered. and usually its crap advice. for example...

Yeh, it's generally not a helpful answer. Its clearly some kind of snark, hence the sneering "You're welcome".

I also hate

"I'll wait"

It is used by someone who thinks he has an unanswerable question. Generally the question is wrong as in

"So you think the Moon isn't made of cheese then? Do you have sources for that..

I'll wait"

The implication is that he will be waiting a long time. I tend to answer by saying "Of course you re going to wait. Why would somebody get back to you immediately"

Anybody using that phrase is generally a twat.

"No ones forcing you to watch it" or "if you don't like it change the channel" on thread discussions about TV shows, films etc.

Thats reasonable if someone continues to watch something they hate, to contribute to a thread about that program.

That said the radio forums would close down if people didn't post about what they hate. And the LLS thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CarProblem

so many, most already mentioned, and I'm probably forgetting loads

- quotes a post with one word reply "This"
    - "there I said it". Usually after posting something in now way controversial
    - Post a link with "I'm just gonna leave this here"
    - "wow....just.....wow"
    - post a reply with a sarcastic "you're welcome", often with "you're" misspelled
    - That's how we ended up with Trump
    - random one but really, really annoys me (probably says more about me tbh!). People posting Amazon bargains where the price is lower in Ireland as UK VAT is removed with Irish VAT only added if the amount is > €22. "Oh look, this is reduced. £12 on the website but £10 for us".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

RCC = Catholic church - usually said by some embittered auld dhrip whose arse is still sore after all those years

AGS - De Guards, said by some smarmy git trying to sound official

DRLs - Strip of LED lights on posh cars. Oft said by the kind of eejit who gets involved in a heated debate about fog lights and fast lanes

ICE - Ordinary car engine. Said by some dope who doesn't realise the battery in a car is really just for turning the starter

"Per corner" - when talking about buying tyres they're known as "corners" instead of "tyres" :confused:

WRC - Train line going through tuam and some other places - Said by a member of the Irish Bus & Greenway appreciation society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People saying "don't bother replying to this". It's like please please please let me have the last word. :D

Or "I'm out" or even worse "aaaaand......I'm out".
    It's not poker you know.

And "I'll bite".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Might have been mentioned already in this thread but 'failed to read the room' is popping up a lot in the covid threads and for some reason its like nails on a chalkboard for my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CarProblem

'failed to read the room'

How could I forget this one - similarly some posters are told to "read the room" before posting something

Then there's a small number of (male) posters who blame men for everything "a lot of angry men on here (it's always men)......."

I find it amazing how quickly bullsh!t phrases proliferate after being used in a few instances

I remember years and year ago there was (briefly thankfully) a trend of people posting "most" instead of "almost". Then a few years after that using the French word "le" in front of emotions. Ending a post not with "sigh" or "groan" but "le sigh" or "le groan" :(

Though of course we still have people use "sans" instead of without - always strikes me as someone trying to be funny/intellectual/high brow but failing miserably

"living rent free in your head" - off to dignitas with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Maybe this is just me but I have noticed that a lot of people in professional broadcasting (chiefly sports pundits) use big words that they don't understand and out of context.

For example pedantic instead of pedestrian.

This is is happening on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour

(or variations on that theme...)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ok boomer.

Advertisement