Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ate in Bistro 53 on Friday night.

We asked for plain tap water, but they refused, only offered bottled.

Just curious, was this always the case and do any other restaurants in Maynooth have a similar policy?

Yup have had the same from Bistro 53, haven't been back since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Just curious, was this always the case and do any other restaurants in Maynooth have a similar policy?

Actually thought that was illegal. Could well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Actually thought that was illegal. Could well be wrong.

I don't think it's illegal.

But it's rare enough behaviour in Ireland I'd say.

Don't know if this is just post COVID or always. Certainly seems their menu price has increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

New cafe open on Pound lane called Lily's. Its has a hatch open on the side of the taxy place. Does coffee, ice-creams and snacks. Bought a bubble waffle from there and it was nice.

Bubble waffle was lovely in the heat of Saturday, very happy daughter afterwards!

One of the best coffee places IMO is Meridian 16, in beside Beetroot behind the Roost. Croattian food - BBQ but v salty- - they do great fresh pastries and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

I don't think it's illegal.

But it's rare enough behaviour in Ireland I'd say.

Don't know if this is just post COVID or always. Certainly seems their menu price has increased.

Real pre bust sign .Killing goose that laid golden egg :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

L1011 wrote: »
    The gym is the last public plan for it. That chain has built out other gyms so could be back.
    Sorry, do you mean that they are now not proceeding with a gym there?

There's no ads for that unit for rent in the Commercial section of Daft.ie, so it's unclear if it's actually for rent now, or if the gym chain are still intending to take it and complete the fit-out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, as far as I know they are intending to go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

That really gets on my wick and is enough to not make me go there. I don't think any of the other restaurants in Maynooth have that policy.

From what I have seen elsewhere

Bistro 53 still only accepting cash (when I ate there over a month ago I thought there credit card terminal was out of order, but seems it's a thing)

Not offering tap water

Adding a 26 euro service charge to tables of 5+ (26 euro seems arbitrary, maybe it was a %)

There could be any number of reasons for accepting cash only.

Won't be going near the place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Dodgy as fcuk that place usually taking cash only and charging for tap water are surefire signs a place is about to go belly up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Was there last week for lunch and paid by card. Maybe their card machine was broken previously

They don’t charge for tap water they just won’t provide it so I did have to pay for bottled water but that could be potentially linked to Covid precautions. Not sure how long they’ve been doing it

food was good in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Gone off Bistro 53. Shady place. The chap selling cocktails was making different prices up for cocktails and burgers. I heard him being pulled up on it. Havent been back as drinks were v poor the last two times. Also cash only...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bistro 53 or their landlord put in an application a while back to convert upstairs to 7 apartments. It was refused for "lack of adequate floor space, lack of kitchen, dining and living room facilities, lack of storage space, inadequate internal dimensions, lack of adequate bin storage and lack of cycle parking". Doesn't sound like someone who cares much for quality...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've since reapplied to turn it in to a B&B upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭FrankN1

There is a definite need for some sort of shop on the Moyglare Road. There's a new school there too and huge demand for it near there, like a Centra or Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What's the first house/unit in Moyglare Village now that used to be a shop? Is it still unused, or has it been taken over/converted?

Still unused.

There was a proposal for a shop with a hot food counter but this was rejected iirc, because of concerns around the smell (grease?) from the food in a residential area.

Can imagine residents would object now as likely to be lots of school going kids milling around at lunchtime.

Could reopen as just a shop with its existing planning but I suspect the deli counter would be the making of it with the schools there.

Are there unused retail units in Moyglare Hall? They were common on boomtime planning but the ones in Griffin Rath became offices. There's meant to be units in Mariavilla also

Maynooth's never had much luck with out-of-village shops except Greenfield - there's always been empty units at Newtown, the original Newtown shops closed decades ago (where Highfield vets are now) and I don't think there were any others.

Newtown's had anything and everything in it - the Gaelscoil, a butchers, a cafe, a bookies - and other than the hairdressers and the shop itself they didn't last. The bike shop seems solid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There's an unused shop unit in MH. It's not very big, don't think it's any bigger than the one in MV. I can't imagine a single unit in either estate lasting, they're too small to have enough range.

Leixlip seems to make it work, but there's always more than one unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RachelNic

Had the same this evening in the same place. Party of 5 - all had starters and main courses (at these new prices!!!) and 9 drinks. Asked for water and were told they only service bottled water. Really poor form. Would not go back for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I wouldn't trust tap water anywhere at the moment, after tasting what's coming out of the tap in my kitchen. If you had gotten ill from it, would you blame the food first or the water?

Planning application in to merge the Eir store in to McCartans.

Hadn't noticed the Eir store had closed but its gone off their site now. It did reopen after Lockdown 1 and phone stores didn't have to close again anyway; it was still on the website in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

If that's the real reason you tell the customer that.

Planning gone in to convert the reception building at the fisheries (which isn't public anymore - saw something about it being a coop of sorts now) in to a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Whereabouts is that in Maynooth & do you know which gym company applied?

Out the dunboyne road. The application is by the fisheries owner not a gym chain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The Royal City has reopened as a Korean street food place. Same owner but new manager, Korean chef and new menu.

Doing sit in and takeaway by collection with a reduced menu at the moment.

We tried a corn dog (the one with ramen, not potato), which was surprisingly delicious, a sweet potato noodle and beef dish called Japchae, and some Korean sushi (ebi tempura roll) all which were lovely.

The food doesn't travel amazingly well, I walked home with it and needed to reheat because the packaging is quite airy (20 min walk to be fair). Sitting in I'd say would bring it up a notch. Someone ordered something on a sizzling plate that looked good.

I asked about the Royal City Chinese menu online and they said they're still going to offer the Chinese food for online orders but it will be delivered by the Orient guys.

They're working on a Korean menu website for themselves.

Anyway I will definitely eat from there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NetworkOrange

Tried the new Korean place. Have to say its pretty good. Got the Bulgogi and half&half KFC chicken and I'll be getting them again. Corn dogs I did not like, not for me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Agreed, the korean fried chicken was brilliant and they do a very good Bibimbap as well, might make it a regular WFH lunch spot.

• Advertisement

Kin Khao gone.

A big loss.

Post edited by Redsoxfan on

Advertisement