Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

temporary clerical officer 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Louiseb63 wrote: »

Thats unbelievably early for TCO.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

I was just thinking the same, wasn’t expecting to see that advertised until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

when they say temporary do they mean very short contract or is there a possibility to move to a permanent role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

when they say temporary do they mean very short contract or is there a possibility to move to a permanent role?

You can only get a permanent role from the permanent campaign.

These are contracts of short duration although from time to time you will find a person who has had their time extended repeatedly or who is brought in to cover ML or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Generally speaking it's 10 week contracts with possibility of an extension or 2. I think there are longer ones such as working in public services card section in social welfare but even then think the absolute maximum is less than 3 years otherwise legally they would have to make you permanent. Permanent jobs are only through the CO panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

The TCO 2019 application form gives you the option to choose all year round TCO or for Summer of 2019 which is ideal for college students.

cvb03 wrote: »
    The TCO 2019 application form gives you the option to choose all year round TCO or for Summer of 2019 which is ideal for college students.

Is there set time of years for when the contracts are? Or is it just dependent on specific departments requirements depending on staff on leave due to shorter working year, maternity leave, sick leave etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I know of some departments who were told by PAS that they had no more candidates available which has not happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is there set time of years for when the contracts are? Or is it just dependent on specific departments requirements depending on staff on leave due to shorter working year, maternity leave, sick leave etc?

It is down to what each Department requests. You can also be brought in to do a specific project. A certain amount will pass the tests and reach the required grade to be put on a panel, then each dept pulls from that panel until it is empty. Depending on demand etc., they may start another competition.

It is possible but very unlikely to become permanent from a TCO position. However once you are in, you see how the system works and it is VERY beneficial to have previous civil service experience when going for a permanent position. Managers will help you with mock interviews, keep you up to date on competitions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

are there some positions in public service that are only available to people who are currently employed by the public service (internal positions) - if so would you be counted as an internal applicant if working as a TCO?

• Advertisement

are there some positions in public service that are only available to people who are currently employed by the public service (internal positions) - if so would you be counted as an internal applicant if working as a TCO?

You have to have two years service for internal and interdepartmental panels and still be in employment at the time of assignment to be eligible so technically yes it is possible to enter those campaigns as a tco, I think it would be difficult to remain eligible throughout the permanent campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

You have to have two years service for internal and interdepartmental panels and still be in employment at the time of assignment to be eligible so technically yes it is possible to enter those campaigns as a tco, I think it would be difficult to remain eligible throughout the permanent campaigns

Serious?

Huntline wrote: »
    Serious?

As far as I am aware, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Had a friend who did various TCO contracts with passport office. Got a permanent internally advertised position as a well paid clerk in Dail Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roseycheeks

Last year I was working as a TCO initially got six month contract which was extended for 5 months this was for 2017 TCO comp.I applied for 2018 comp while In was in the 2017 contract. I was offered a new contract for 2018 for 10 weeks while I still had 4 months left on my old contract and they took me off the panel because I turned down the 10 week contract.Told them previous to them offering 2018 contract that was not available until later in the year until my 2017 contract extension expired but they still offered me the ten week contract didn't want to know therefore wasted my time and money travelling to Dublin for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Last year I was working as a TCO initially got six month contract which was extended for 5 months this was for 2017 TCO comp.I applied for 2018 comp while In was in the 2017 contract. I was offered a new contract for 2018 for 10 weeks while I still had 4 months left on my old contract and they took me off the panel because I turned down the 10 week contract.Told them previous to them offering 2018 contract that was not available until later in the year until my 2017 contract extension expired but they still offered me the ten week contract didn't want to know therefore wasted my time and money travelling to Dublin for interview.

Thats pure ignorant.. if you didnt already, you should write a letter of complaint to the CEO of the public appointments commission. You didnt inconvenance anyone because the next in line would have been called anyways but at the least they could have put you lower in the order of merit for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roseycheeks

Thats pure ignorant.. if you didnt already, you should write a letter of complaint to the CEO of the public appointments commission. You didnt inconvenance anyone because the next in line would have been called anyways but at the least they could have put you lower in the order of merit for that location.

I appealed twice and still no joy,There system is joke. But the sad reality was that a girl who had the same contracts as me was allowed to defer because the new contract she was offered was a bit of a drive. Even though she had no notion of leaving the contract she was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Demigr

Has anyone any problems opening the PDF application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

Demigr wrote: »
    Has anyone any problems opening the PDF application form?
    Go to downloads on your PC. You will find it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

Anyone know how exactly to include "any periods of unemployment" in the employment records section of the application form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Louiseb63

Anyone know how exactly to include "any periods of unemployment" in the employment records section of the application form?

Last year I just put in the dates and if I was unemployed.. stated that on the form (if you volunteered or did a course put that in too)

Some internal campaigns may say that but others specifically say that the applicant must be an existing Permanent Civil Servant. Usually the position states that the applicant must have completed their probation satisfactorily - probation only exists for newly appointed permanent Civil Servants.

Seconded National Experts must be permanent and approved by their department before they can take up the post even though the positions are advertised on Public Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

Weekly pay is €447.27 - Anyone know if this before or after tax?

Before

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

You can only get a permanent role from the permanent campaign.

These are contracts of short duration although from time to time you will find a person who has had their time extended repeatedly or who is brought in to cover ML or something like that

Actually if you read the information booklet you would see that this is the first year where you can indeed be made permanent from TCO to CO !!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Actually if you read the information booklet you would see that this is the first year where you can indeed be made permanent from TCO to CO !!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Oh really? Definitely open to correction, just thought that you had to be pulled from permanent panel. It will be interesting to see if many are made permanent as there are current permanent panels in place

Ah really? How so?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ah really? How so?

I believe this is the section they are referring to

Tenure
    Assignments will be to a temporary position. The duration and period of a temporary contract will vary
    from post to post. There is no entitlement to a permanent position.
    Notwithstanding the above paragraph on tenure, we retain the right to consider holding a confined Selection
    Process for established appointment to certain positions within the Civil Service in certain limited
    circumstances.
    Any process will be held in compliance with the Commission for Public Service Appointments (CPSA) Code
    of Practice for Atypical Appointments to positions in the Civil Service and certain Public Bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

I believe this is the section they are referring to

Tenure
    Assignments will be to a temporary position. The duration and period of a temporary contract will vary
    from post to post. There is no entitlement to a permanent position.
    Notwithstanding the above paragraph on tenure, we retain the right to consider holding a confined Selection
    Process for established appointment to certain positions within the Civil Service in certain limited
    circumstances.
    Any process will be held in compliance with the Commission for Public Service Appointments (CPSA) Code
    of Practice for Atypical Appointments to positions in the Civil Service and certain Public Bodies.

That's the one yeah

• Advertisement

Before
    And before USC, PRSI, pension deductions etc. etc.

But you can apply for a refund of pension deductions after your contract ends.

Advertisement