Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

She would be well able for 42k. Just checked back cycle last year was 31k over and we did it in 2 and a half hours. She'll have good bit of cycling done again by the time we do it in the summer. The Mayo greenway is slower than the Westmeath greenway though . Surface on Westmeath one is better than most roads.

Children are able for a lot more than you think. I did Spanish point to Cliffs of Moher and back when I was 11 myself. And she has a much better bike than I did! 50k a day would be handy enough split into a morning and afternoon cycle. Met a Spanish couple camping in Tipperary last year who had cycled the Loire valley the previous summer. Their daughter only was 10 and they had done over 400k in a week!

Nice to hear they've taken out the road crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

In donegal, the burtonport to loughanure piece is mix of tar/gravel trail and a local road. More suited for walkers, but definitely cycle-able - http://www.therosses.ie/burtonport-old-railway-walk.html

Plans are afoot to extend it out to creeslough and be mixed-use

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@Ryath,

Just back from the Mayo Greenway having done Achill to Newport / 32 or so Kms. Was just me and OH but met plenty of families doing it.

There are a very few places you'd need to walk with a child as it's steep for about 10 metres. We met a family who did Mulranny to Achill one day and got shuttled back then Mulranny to Westport and got shuttled back 2 days later.

We meet countless sheep, a horse, various birds, a Nanny goat and it's kid, places to stop and just sit on a bench too.

The views are worth it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What is the situation with the West Clare Greenway. According to the map it's just Ennistymon to Lahinch - that would be no more than 4km long.

Is that it for the moment?

Anyone cycle it?? Are there other quiet roads etc that you could exted a cycle around there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

dixiefly wrote: »
    What is the situation with the West Clare Greenway. According to the map it's just Ennistymon to Lahinch - that would be no more than 4km long.

Anyone cycle it?? Are there other quiet roads etc that you could exted a cycle around there?

Theres apparently progress being made on the section Ennis to Ennsitymon, but the current provision in Ennis town for it I'd deemed not adequate for considering 'completed as I believe its lines on the road. The Ennistymon to Lehinch stretch is partly on a decent cycleway on the road but even then I was iffy including it. Main Issue I have is knowing where things are genuinely good. sometimes new stuff receives zero fanfare, sometimes absolutely pointlessly bad provision gets lauded as Greenway, so I really rely on people on the ground to correct me.

To My Mind a Greenway is this:
    walking-great-western-greenway.jpg

and an Urban Cycleway would be this:
    3083368_Cycle-Superhighway2-Stratford-London.jpg

If the provision is at (or close to) that level then I'd consider that section completed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The Ennistymon to Lahinch section is just a raised path running alongside the main road, as far as I've seen.

When I was around there late last year it looked like there was work underway to link Lahinch and Liscannor via a similar roadside cycle path. I don't know if there's been any further progress with that.

Moflojo wrote: »
    The Ennistymon to Lahinch section is just a raised path running alongside the main road, as far as I've seen.

When I was around there late last year it looked like there was work underway to link Lahinch and Liscannor via a similar roadside cycle path. I don't know if there's been any further progress with that.

Yeah if I recall its a fairly wide raised path, which I'd consider decent enough provision, especially if it shows where pedestrians/cyclists should be.

Yeah if I recall its a fairly wide raised path, which I'd consider decent enough provision, especially if it shows where pedestrians/cyclists should be.

It's a decent facility alright, but it shouldn't be considered a Greenway in my opinion. It's too close to motor traffic so it misses out on some of the key Greenway experiences of cleaner air, a quieter environment, and immersion in nature.

Yeah I'd consider it a cycleway as part of a larger greenway, problem is now its there you wont get a proper greenway there for a long time. Definitely falls outside my 'Greenway' criteria but not my 'Cycleway' criteria, unfortunately I think going back through my entire map and splitting it into Cycleway and Greenway demarcations might kill me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

dixiefly wrote: »

They are going to run into a bit of trouble if they try using the old line on the Corofin/Ennistymon road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9247069,-9.243791,385m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9240667,-9.243162,3a,75y,357.19h,98.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2DzkXRN54whbRxpcH32N6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of the cluster**** that is the planning system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

Rulmeq wrote: »
    and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of the cluster**** that is the planning system here.

Probably a bit unfair to pick one individual example, there are hundreds of situations like that on all the old closed railway lines, especially the ones which closed donkeys years ago, the one closest to me here and which I'm most familiar with is the West Wicklow line, it would have been a fantastic resource but development by landowners is allover the old line.

In Athy the new, badly needed, relief road is going to follow the line of the old railway out to Wolfhill around the town, there'll be a cycleway at the edge but it won't be anything like it could have been.

In other news I see that Waterways Ireland have appealed the decision of Kildare, Laois and Carlow county councils to refuse permission on the river section of the Barrow Blueway, it's with ABP now so it's hard to see anything happening even on the bits that have permission (the canal section) this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Kingswood to Clondalkin would be a great one if goes ahead roads as so busy these days.

nilhg wrote: »
    In other news I see that Waterways Ireland have appealed the decision of Kildare, Laois and Carlow county councils to refuse permission on the river section of the Barrow Blueway, it's with ABP now so it's hard to see anything happening even on the bits that have permission (the canal section) this year.

I think the Barrow Blueway has turned into an "Over my dead body" situation, thanks to Olivia O'Leary's high profile campaign against it. It's quite literally a NIMBY scenario.

I think the Barrow Blueway has turned into an "Over my dead body" situation, thanks to Olivia O'Leary's high profile campaign against it. It's quite literally a NIMBY scenario.

Except that for a quite a few of the objectors it's not even in their backyard...

Just for the record I understand some of their worries, just think that with a bit of give and take it's possible to have something great that's accessible to all, walkers, cyclists, families with buggies and people in wheelchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe if she considered how unwelcoming her favourite path is to those who use wheelchairs and the like she might be more accommodating.

Someone should remind her we are all just one 'event' from needing to use a wheelchair for the rest of our days.

Her attitude smacks a lot of 'I'm all right Jack' while she walks in her hiking boots and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

Just back after doing Westport to Achill and got the shuttle back. Pi$$ing rain, strong winds so it wasn't the nicest of cycles. Stunning scenery but tough enough in the conditions. I'd definitely recommend starting in Achill and cycling back to Westport, there's a better chance of having the wind behind you.

Omeath to Newry section of Dundalk to Newry Greenway to open at the start of May (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43789599)

The planned greenway will reach Greenore, and split off to loop down into Dundalk, its a big section still to do but would be an absolutely amazing draw to an under-appreciated part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

jos28 wrote: »
    Just back after doing Westport to Achill and got the shuttle back. Pi$$ing rain, strong winds so it wasn't the nicest of cycles. Stunning scenery but tough enough in the conditions. I'd definitely recommend starting in Achill and cycling back to Westport, there's a better chance of having the wind behind you.

It's always best to get keep the wind to your back there. The Atlantic wind can be quite strong.

I'm down next week for the third year in a row. It's such a lovely cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

It's always best to get keep the wind to your back there. The Atlantic wind can be quite strong.

I'm down next week for the third year in a row. It's such a lovely cycle.

I should have asked here first, would have been a much nicer cycle. Ah well, no pain, no gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

jos28 wrote: »
    I should have asked here first, would have been a much nicer cycle. Ah well, no pain, no gain.

you see plenty of people asking for general advice before doing that greenway and the first response is always the same regarding wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hi , Is it possible to hire suitable bikes and attire to do some of these Greenways?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Omeath to Newry section of Dundalk to Newry Greenway to open at the start of May (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43789599)

The planned greenway will reach Greenore, and split off to loop down into Dundalk, its a big section still to do but would be an absolutely amazing draw to an under-appreciated part of the country.

It's only from Victoria Lock at the end of the canal up to Newry, theres a mile to the border, and its about 5km to the next Greenway section at Omeath

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

youtube! wrote: »
    Hi , Is it possible to hire suitable bikes and attire to do some of these Greenways?

That's a very good question you tube! The OP of this Greenway thread has done a super job in doing the greenway map, next thing needed is a bike-hire add-on but wouldn't be fair to expect him to do that too! It's especially important because even if you have your own bike but you don't own a car it's so difficult to bring a bike on a train to Waterford, Westport, Athlone, Mullingar, Longford. and even if you do have a car if a bunch of friends or a family wants to cycle a greenway most cars can only manage one ro two bikes so it's still a problem.

Answer depends on which Greenway you have in mind, Waterford and Great Western (Mayo) are very well catered for. I don't know about all of the others except that a lot of the info online is out of date and when you call the numbers you find they are no longer doing bike-hire or the number rings out. Tbh a number of the greenways are simply not busy enough or of a high-enough standard to attract enough customers to support bike-hire.

Not sure what you mean by gear, bike-hire places will give you a helmet and a lock, and some would have panniers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there's definitely bike hire in Athlone, pretty sure you can hire a trailer for kids too as you also can in Westport & Waterford.

from what I've seen it's Westport & Waterford that are best catered for - a lot of the companies will even drop you out for you to cycle back or vice-versa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Loads of options to hire in Westport, Mulranny, Achill etc., you can hire bikes right at the beginning of the Waterford one, and also at the WIT arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Weepsie wrote: »
    Loads of options to hire in Westport, Mulranny, Achill etc., you can hire bikes right at the beginning of the Waterford one, and also at the WIT arena.

And also at Kilmacthomas for anyone who doesn't have the time or little legs to do the full Greenway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Cycled from Mullingar out to Furey's Pub (Moyvalley) yesterday. All done. Either tarred existing roads or new Limestone sand paths. Excellent surface, parking bays near most bridges, loads of people out and about. Proof that it does work.

I cycled the canal a few times over the years and this was one of the more difficult stretches. Nice to see it done up. Had a look over the fence at Moyvalley to see if the stretch towards Enfield has been done, but couldn't see anything. Looks like there's 2 Km of tough but easily walkable canal path here.

So, if I've got this right, almost all of >Maynooth-Clondra (Shannon) is done?

Advertisement