Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

misslemon wrote: »
    Just checking, this is slightly different to the AO competition, right? We're just doing the assessment next week rather than getting links to the assessment and aptitude tests at the one time?

I know it's pretty self-explanatory I just don't want to rule myself out on a misunderstanding!

Just a questionnaire to be filled out online is all. If successful, tests will folllow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭baba_bear

Hi Tommy_Kerry, here is the information booklet:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

baba_bear wrote: »
    Hi Tommy_Kerry, here is the information booklet:

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I wonder if they will use the same tab based format for part b that was used in the HEO comp last year. I kinda hope so.

Anyway, out of interest. How did people answer the example below?

You overhear a colleague, Terry, complaining that his manager never listens to him. You know his manager and are aware that she is an excellent manager who cares about the views of all of her staff.

Please rate each action independently by selecting from the drop down menu in each case.

a. Ask Terry if he would like you to talk to his manager about it.

Excellent response, Good response, Adequate response, Weak response, Bad response

b. Tell Terry that his manager probably does listen but that he may not always appreciate that that is the case.

Excellent response, Good response, Adequate response, Weak response, Bad response

c. Tell the manager what you heard but do not inform Terry.

d. Do nothing.

I went with

A: Excellent
    B: Weak
    C: Adequate
    D: Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭starf1sh

Pronto63 wrote: »
    I got placed low teens after interview for the NTA. Anyone else?

Anyone out there work in the NTA?

Any idea how many they might take from panel?

Panel has a lifespan of 2 years.

I was placed in the high teens after interview. Not hopeful at all of being offered a position off that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

carnie wrote: »
    I wonder if they will use the same tab based format for part b that was used in the HEO comp last year. I kinda hope so.

Anyway, out of interest. How did people answer the example below?

I went with

A: Excellent
    B: Weak
    C: Adequate
    D: Bad

I had A, Good, B, Adequate, C, Adequate and D Weak. It was a difficult scenario to consider be honest. Should you be intervening in another employee/manager relationship just because you overheard something rather than it being brought directly to your attention (eg Terry confiding in you)? Acting to improve a situation without either the employee or the manager's permission has shortcomings too which is why I put adequate.

Sounds like these scenario questions will be quite subjective if this is a typical example......

Just got another text...

Link to questionnaire in your Messages

ongarboy wrote: »
    I had A, Good, B, Adequate, C, Adequate and D Weak. It was a difficult scenario to consider be honest. Should you be intervening in another employee/manager relationship just because you overheard something rather than it being brought directly to your attention (eg Terry confiding in you)? Acting to improve a situation without either the employee or the manager's permission has shortcomings too which is why I put adequate.

Sounds like these scenario questions will be quite subjective if this is a typical example......

I was kinda thinking the same. It's eavesdropping at the end of the day but I was thinking that as a superior you could have a quiet chat, stating that you overheard the conversation and try to sort it out. I don't know, that's what i was thinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

py2006 wrote: »
    Just got another text...

Link to questionnaire in your Messages

Have you clicked into it yet, I'm wondering is it the long word doc where you outline relevant experience, qualifications etc (cv basically) is it timed or can you take your time completing it? does it have to be completed in one sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

80sbaby wrote: »
    Have you clicked into it yet, I'm wondering is it the long word doc where you outline relevant experience, qualifications etc (cv basically) is it timed or can you take your time completing it? does it have to be completed in one sitting?

No, it's scenarios and some 'What kind of person are you? ' questions. That's what I gather from reading the familiarisation material.

• Advertisement

is it timed or can you take your time completing it? does it have to be completed in one sitting?

"This Assessment Questionnaire has no set time limit but typically this Questionnaire should take you no longer than 45 minutes to complete, however you must complete and submit it within the set test window."

"If you unexpectedly end your testing session mid-assessment, you can log back in and complete the questionnaire"

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

carnie wrote: »
    ongarboy wrote: »
    I had A, Good,  B, Adequate, C, Adequate and D Weak.  It was a difficult scenario to consider be honest.  Should you be intervening in another employee/manager relationship just because you overheard something rather than it being brought directly to your attention (eg Terry confiding in you)? Acting to improve a situation without either the employee or the manager's permission has shortcomings too which is why I put adequate.

I was kinda thinking the same. It's eavesdropping at the end of the day but I was thinking that as a superior you could have a quiet chat, stating that you overheard the conversation and try to sort it out. I don't know, that's what i was thinking anyway.
    Nowhere does it say that you are a superior.     I would think the only good answer is D.    All others are Bad.    The key is "you overhear a colleague".     This conversation was not meant for you,  is about somebody else's (just a colleague) perception of their own relationship with their manager.    You don't know the full context and it is none of your business.    That would be my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That part where they ask for detailed CV type information is much later in the process from what I heard in earlier advice given. You'll only be requested to provide that information if you reach the required benchmark level based on the success of the initial assessment and aptitude test. I think because there is such a high level of interest in these positions, they have to streamline suitable candidates this way as it would not be possible to review all candidates based on CVs alone.

PS - I just completed the assessment. I expect there is no time restriction although they suggest that it can be completed in 45 minutes. I think I did mine in just under 40. I found it was very much that you never knew for sure if you were giving the "right" answer either in the personality questions or situation assessments.......we'll see....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

looking for some help, just got laid off, looking at public jobs as a possible way to get back into the work force, looked at the public jobs website, but need to know how to sign up to complete the exams. I know it probably is on one of the topics here any help would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

There's a brilliant typo in that questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

mafitz wrote: »
    looking for some help, just got laid off, looking at public jobs as a possible way to get back into the work force, looked at the public jobs website, but need to know how to sign up to complete the exams. I know it probably is on one of the topics here any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you have an account on publicjobs.ie? If not, click register in the top right of the screen at the log in section.

You won't be able to apply for this EO competition as the closing date has passed but there are plenty of similar positions being advertised these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Paudee wrote: »
    There's a brilliant typo in that questionnaire.

The fact that I missed it probably means I didn't read half the thing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Questionnaire done, wasn't too bad but so hard to tell really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

for anyone that's completed the questionnaire, did it take long time wise, just wondering will i do it now and get it out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Funny how far less apply for EO positions then CO yet the standard is far higher in EO then even AO which is better paid again.

• Advertisement

greenb wrote: »
    Nowhere does it say that you are a superior.     I would think the only good answer is D.    All others are Bad.    The key is "you overhear a colleague".     This conversation was not meant for you,  is about somebody else's (just a colleague) perception of their own relationship with their manager.    You don't know the full context and it is none of your business.    That would be my take.

True. I never thought about it like that. I just assumed that in the scenario Gerry was a co or something

I guess I need to start getting my head into the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

An employee loudly complaining about management were the most appropriate action is to do nothing?

As a manager would you not like to know how staff felt or let another employee share their positive perspective. Doing nothing solves nothing. IRL you might say nothing but in a test like this I doubt it's the best answer.

doc11 wrote: »
    An employee loudly complaining about management were the most appropriate action is to do nothing?

As a manager would you not like to know how staff felt or let another employee share their positive perspective. Doing nothing solves nothing. IRL you might say nothing but in a test like this I doubt it's the best answer.

Going direct to manager could result in tension with that colleague you eavesdropped on? Plus tension between that colleague and manager. If they have an issue it is up to them to address it with manager. They weren't talking to you in first place. Another way of looking at it I guess.

These kind of questions are difficult as in real life it all depends on the individuals and your position. Are we to answer them from an EO's perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

py2006 wrote: »
    Going direct to manager could result in tension with that colleague you eavesdropped on? Plus tension between that colleague and manager. If they have an issue it is up to them to address it with manager. They weren't talking to you in first place. Another way of looking at it I guess.

These kind of questions are difficult as in real life it all depends on the individuals and your position. Are we to answer them from an EO's perspective?

I don't think it matters whether you are an EO or not. Your colleague, Terry could be an AP and his manager who he says doesn't listen to him a PO. Are you really going to take action on every overheard conversation. If so, You'll have little time left to do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Did the assessment questionnaire- was grand I thought but who know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Is there any start date as such for these jobs? Or what is the general timeframe for this competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is there any start date as such for these jobs? Or what is the general timeframe for this competition?

I'm guessing the earliest placements will be April/May this year to April 2019.

That's just guessing from the last EO competition that started this time two years ago and is supposed to stop recruiting people from that panel in April.

It will mostly depend on how well you do in the unsupervised tests, those results determine the order of who is called to the supervised tests which then determines the order called to interview. And even if you are ranked in the top few your preferred location will also affect when you'll be offered a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mrsec

Did anyone get a message from pas about having difficulty logging onto the assessment? I have it done but just received a message from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Mrsec wrote: »
    Did anyone get a message from pas about having difficulty logging onto the assessment? I have it done but just received a message from them.

I got the mail but haven't done the questions yet. Prob goes to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I got the mail too but did the questionnaire yesterday.

Advertisement