Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

o halloran

• 02-04-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Hi not sure if in correct forum for my query..move if nec..ive just come across the story and pic of the o halloran sisters from bodyke co clare..can anybody put the names in order?and are their storys available..id like to know did they move? Marry? Have famalies etc..im heading down to ennis soon and would like to maybe visit the farmhouse if it still exists..resting places if known etc..tia..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Any chance you could tell us more about this story or post a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

yes - would like to help, but how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

KildareFan wrote: »
    yes - would like to help, but how?

Hi kildare fan..none of the articles available give names and are fairly scant with details for the girls..id like to know their names..what happened after as in did they marry? Have famalies?i like the 'after' stories..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi Maudi,

I don't think any of us know who the o'Halloran sisters from Bodyke, Co. Clare are.
    You will need to give us more details before we can offer assistance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I think Maudi is referring to this amazing picture that popped up on Twitter a while ago:

http://www.thejournal.ie/ohalloran-sisters-clare-bodyke-evictions-1525871-Jun2014/

• Advertisement

Wonderful photo - lot of information in the journal article:
    The sisters were named Annie, Sarah and Honoria and – as their brother Frank tells it – they were to the fore of the defence of the family home.

Frank tells how the sisters threw cans of scalding water to ward off bailiffs who tried to attack the corner of the house with picks and axes. Frank and his brother also fought off the would-be evictors. His sister Honoria emerges as a particularly courageous figure.

She managed to grab the “sword-bayonet” of one of the policemen who was trying to come through a window. Frank helped her to fight off that policeman, and says:

My sister was then in full possession of a rifle, bayonet and all, and sure she did use it. She rushed to the window and scattered the police outside right and left, and cleared the ladder outside, which was crowded.

Read what happened next to the family on ClareLibrary.ie. Thanks to the National Library of Ireland for sharing this brilliant photograph. Makes you wonder which one was Honoria, doesn’t it?
    ========================================================
    see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/looking-at-places/clare/aspects-of-clare/the-bodyke-evictions/the-evictions/ - the photo is there again, this time reversed. The house became known as O'Halloran's fort

Some research you can do:

Check the civil registration indexes on Familysearch.org for any likely marriages in that part of Clare.

Look at the 1901 census in case some of the sisters did not marry.

The Clare Library article mentions that one of them came back from America. There is a good chance that some of them possibly went to America afterwards. Try passenger lists on Familysearch, Ellis Island, Ancestry, etc.

Clare Library is a fantastic resource for Clare genealogy, check their online records.

Local newspapers might also have information from later in their lives, especially obituaries, etc.

Some research you can do:

Check the civil registration indexes on Familysearch.org for any likely marriages in that part of Clare.

Look at the 1901 census in case some of the sisters did not marry.

The Clare Library article mentions that one of them came back from America. There is a good chance that some of them possibly went to America afterwards. Try passenger lists on Familysearch, Ellis Island, Ancestry, etc.

Clare Library is a fantastic resource for Clare genealogy, check their online records.

Local newspapers might also have information from later in their lives, especially obituaries, etc.

Some further information on the O'Hallorans - they were finally evicted in 1893 for non payment of two years rent. The land had been leased to the O'Hallorans since 1822, the father had built a two storey house on the land costing £120.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Hi there, these people are my ancestors. Great Grand Aunts. What is it you would like to know about them? Feel free to private message me for more info.

The girls did time in Limerick prison following this incident. I have the prison records somewhere. There is a book available on Google books with a lot more info about Fort O'Halloran. I'll try to find the link to it.

• Advertisement

This is the book with a lot more info on Fort O'Halloran. It has been free on Google books for years, but I think it may be gone now? I have it in pdf form so I can email you a copy in a few days if you wish.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=JQAOAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=bodyke&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gJijU7m7MYzKsQSJwoGgCA&redir_esc=y

After the eviction, they were tried and sentenced on the 18th June, 1887.
    Their mother was freed.
    Ann Halloran daughter (1 month hard labour in limerick gaol)
    Sarah Halloran daughter (Freed)
    Honoria Halloran daughter (1 month hard labour in limerick gaol)
    Pat Halloran (3 months hard labour)
    Frank Halloran (3 months hard labour)

One of the sons stayed the rest of his life in the house with his mother. The girls went to America.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for that ROC.
    The book is available on the Internet Archive if anyone is interested.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JPK886

Frank O’Halloran was my maternal grandfather. I knew Honoria (Nora). She and her sisters are buried in NY. I can give you more info. I last visited the “Fort” in 2004 with Fr. Tom OH. I live in USA. - Jim Kennedy

Advertisement