Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Anyone use the Polish Coal from Kosy King in a stove ?

Got a couple of bags today and I am just wondering what it is like.

So the coal itself burns fairly well and gives up a decent heat. Just finding it very smokey .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So the coal itself burns fairly well and gives up a decent heat. Just finding it very smokey .

I have found mixing it with ovoids cuts down on the smoke.

zerks wrote: »
    I have found mixing it with ovoids cuts down on the smoke.

There was a young lad in Wexford doing a deal and I got it off him. €50 for 100kg of coal , 2 bags of blocks and 2 bags of sticks. So went with it. I know he's getting it from the north .

He has only started doing the coal and he Delievers too. Asked him about the ovoids and he said he will probably get them next year .

There was a young lad in Wexford doing a deal and I got it off him. €50 for 100kg of coal , 2 bags of blocks and 2 bags of sticks. So went with it. I know he's getting it from the north .

He has only started doing the coal and he Delievers too. Asked him about the ovoids and he said he will probably get them next year .

That's not a bad deal.I get the ovoids in Enniscorthy, €15 per 40kg bag.I've lately started getting coal off him to mix with them.

That's not a bad deal.I get the ovoids in Enniscorthy, €15 per 40kg bag.I've lately started getting coal off him to mix with them.

That's good value for them as I paid €20 for a bag of ovoids a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Quick update, the smokeless ovoids were a bit of a mystery to me as they don't burn like normal coal. They just smoulder away an kick out a nice heat over a long, long time.

I threw about 5 or 6 on the fire last night at about 10:30 and they were still glowing red at 15:30 today. A good 17 hours after they were first put on the fire.
    I'd imagine their best use would be in a stove where they'd keep the room warm til the next morning and beyond.

All in all happy with both the ovoids and the Black Diamond, despite it being on the dirty side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok just wondering, I have about 10 bags left from my order from Kosy King. Will probably do me till next year if I need

I was going to order from coal warehouse but I am wondering do they reduce price in summer months or do any offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok just wondering, I have about 10 bags left from my order from Kosy King. Will probably do me till next year if I need

I was going to order from coal warehouse but I am wondering do they reduce price in summer months or do any offers?

I dug back through their Facebook history for their pricelists when I was buying. The price fluctuates from time to time regardless of the season. Never by that much though.

They are currently on special until the end of Feb. That's according to their Facebook post at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

I Just bought another ton for next winter from kosyking as the tide is starting to turn with a strong pound by next September save now for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

homingbird wrote: »
    I Just bought another ton for next winter from kosyking as the tide is starting to turn with a strong pound by next September save now for later.

Crystal ball stuff.....

• Advertisement

pm. wrote: »
    Crystal ball stuff.....

Can you use this in a stove? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

TheTorment wrote: »
    Can you use this in a stove? ;)

You can but only ounce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

homingbird wrote: »

I'll be buying a ton of black diamond in the coming weeks. In preparation for the next winter.
    I'm more concerned about border checks, which may put a stop to what is fuel smuggling.

Going OT.. Are there any suppliers of firewood up north that ship down South ?

Looking for bargains... always looking.

My local supplier told me the ovoids he stocks are going up in price by €1 per 40kg bag from next week so he has sourced others that are costing €15.50 per 40kg compared to the €17 the others will cost.
    Is this another hangover from The Green's carbon tax policy or suppliers upping prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My local supplier told me the ovoids he stocks are going up in price by €1 per 40kg bag from next week so he has sourced others that are costing €15.50 per 40kg compared to the €17 the others will cost.
    Is this another hangover from The Green's carbon tax policy or suppliers upping prices?

Dont think so Zerks, I thought that was for 2 years but sure, who knows what Noonan has slipped into subsequent budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭septicsac

Tesco selling their 10kg bags of Bord Na Mona ovoids at 3.49 at the minute, works out at 14Euro per 40kg bag, cheap by Republic prices,not sure if available at every store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My wifes just asked me what are we going to do about ordering coal for the winter :eek: so what do the crystal ball gazers think the prices are going to do in the next few months over the summer?

I'm hoping for a summer discount so will wait until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Was thinking about ordering myself. Got half a tonne last year with the hope of it seeing me through the winter, it didn't. Will go for a tonne this year .

deisedav wrote: »
    Was thinking about ordering myself. Got half a tonne last year with the hope of it seeing me through the winter, it didn't. Will go for a tonne this year .

A tonne is a bit tight for us but we just about stretched it. The problem is that the small 20kg bags are so convenient and easy to bring into the house we used more than in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

my3cents wrote: »
    A tonne is a bit tight for us but we just about stretched it. The problem is that the small 20kg bags are so convenient and easy to bring into the house we used more than in previous years.

Yeah if you have a big pile in the shed you definitely use more. Then when you are down to the last 5 bags and start panicking you tend to use substantially less. Still had to do a few coal runs and fill up the boot. Won't be doing that next year hopefully.

• Advertisement

I think there was an offer in July last year. Ill wait for that. Will be splitting a pallet between Black Diamond and ovoids as I found the Polish rubbish last time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I actually had this thread in my mind the last week or so and ordered from CW this morning, ton of smokeless ovoids €280, then delivery was £52 I think with Connolly's. Could leave it a while but just got them when it was on my mind. The ton should do us the cold season not bother, Erin stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

slave1 wrote: »
    I actually had this thread in my mind the last week or so and ordered from CW this morning, ton of smokeless ovoids €280, then delivery was £52 I think with Connolly's. Could leave it a while but just got them when it was on my mind. The ton should do us the cold season not bother, Erin stove.
    Should keep you going until winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Do they usually do any summer deals? I have last bag of kosyking but want to go with Coal Warehouse this year, was going to order but should i wait/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do they usually do any summer deals? I have last bag of kosyking but want to go with Coal Warehouse this year, was going to order but should i wait/

i think they once did 20 squids off a tonne one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

i think they once did 20 squids off a tonne one year.

Was that not in response to the falling value of sterling.
    I think they still haven't increased their pricing after offering the 20pound reduction.

Personally, I'm gonna hang on till the 3rd week of July, and then order 1T of black diamond, in 20kg bags (easier to move around)

Tight, as in costing too much ?

See if you can split a tonne with a neighbour.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Tight, as in costing too much ?

See if you can split a tonne with a neighbour.

Tight as in nearly ran out.

Tight as in nearly ran out.

Simple.. order 2T this year, and 1T next year, and 1T the following year.

I got 1T last yr, more than enough for me, I'll get another 1T this year, and none next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just saw this on Coal warehouse page on FB

*Current Price list as follows:*

Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne

Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month.
    Thank you

Advertisement