Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

moodrater wrote:
    Do tell ..

560 pounds for 100 bags give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Anyone ordered coal from these guys lately? Hoping to order a pallet to Mayo this week, just wondering if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plonker

corsav6 wrote: »
    Anyone ordered coal from these guys lately? Hoping to order a pallet to Mayo this week, just wondering if anything has changed.

let me know how it goes,I'm in Mayo 2 and would prob order soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

plonker wrote: »
    let me know how it goes,I'm in Mayo 2 and would prob order soon?

Will do. I might ring tomorrow and see what the story is. Was hoping a boardsie placed an order recently so I had an idea what the arrangements are and if anything changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Given the hideousness of the euro -v - sterling, I fear this may not be the bargain it was last year. Please let us know.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

Something to be aware of with the "premium polish" from these guys.

Since I got my stove a few years back I always clean the chimney only once a year - sometime during the summer months. I usually get about a bucket of soot.

I purchased a ton of premium polish earlier in the year from this supplier and just cleaned the chimney this morning. I got about 3 to 4 times the usual amount of soot from my chimney :eek:

Not really a problem as such but I would definitely recommend cleaning the chimney a lot more often. Has I known the coal was so sooty/dirty I would have cleaned it at least twice if not 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

podge3 wrote: »
    Something to be aware of with the "premium polish" from these guys.

Since I got my stove a few years back I always clean the chimney only once a year - sometime during the summer months. I usually get about a bucket of soot.

I purchased a ton of premium polish earlier in the year from this supplier and just cleaned the chimney this morning. I got about 3 to 4 times the usual amount of soot from my chimney :eek:

Not really a problem as such but I would definitely recommend cleaning the chimney a lot more often. Has I known the coal was so sooty/dirty I would have cleaned it at least twice if not 3 times.

What were you burning before?

I've never know polish coal premium best or otherwise to be anything other than filthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

my3cents wrote: »
    What were you burning before?

I've never know polish coal premium best or otherwise to be anything other than filthy stuff.
    I was burning BnM premium polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mrtom wrote: »
    Does this amount of cinders the next morning seem usual with the yellow bag Polish coal? Seems a lot to me !
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    I've had more on some Expensive' coal. I just put them on the fire to reburn the following evening

I bought 25 bags of the premium coal last winter from the NI supplier and I found it burned quite well but.....

There was a lot of dust and very small coal pieces in the bottoms of the bags

Some of the coal lumps were huge

Sometimes when the coal went on I had lots of spitting out onto the floor, not all bags were like this and the coal was dry do don't know why it happened, you might not even hear it spitting, I'd just turn around and lo behold bits of coal all over the floor, found this to occur only after putting coal onto a hot fire and wouldn't last long but would have to use a fire guard when this happened, anyone else experience any of the above things with this premium coal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

anyone place an order recently ? how much did it cost ? i got 2 loads last year and found it smokey but very good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

They are advertising a price drop on their FB page today:
    PRICE DROP
    PRICE LIST FOR MONTH OF AUGUST!!!
    ALL PRICES ARE BASED ON 40KG BAG!!

POLISH COAL - €8 PER BAG
    BLACK DIAMOND - €10 PER BAG
    DOUBLES - €8 PER BAG
    SINGLES - €7 PER BAG
    SLACK - €6 PER BAG
    OVOIDS - €12 PER BAG
    COUNTRYBLEND - €12 PER BAG
    CLEARFLAME - €12 PER BAG
    MASTERFLAME - €11.50 PER BAG

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

chasm wrote: »
    PRICE DROP

POLISH COAL - €8 PER BAG
    DOUBLES - €8 PER BAG
    SINGLES - €7 PER BAG
    SLACK - €6 PER BAG
    OVOIDS - €12 PER BAG
    CLEARFLAME - €12 PER BAG

Who's 'they'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

askU wrote: »
    Who's 'they'?

Answer is in the first three posts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TinyTot165

I ordered some last week, €200 for 25 bags of polish coal plus €60.89 delivery, haven't used any of it yet but was very happy with the last batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Best for stove (insert)?

Or any to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Best for stove (insert)?

Or any to avoid?

I would recommend the ovoids, that's what I burn in mine. I also ordered a few of the 'stove coal' to try out with my order last year and I'd never get it again. It seemed to be made up of some below standard coal and broken or reject ovoids. Despite it being very easy to light it but after a couple of hours it would have heavily coated the inside of my stove with soot and cover the glass with an oily substance that was a pain to clean.
    I wanted to get anthracite from them too but they had sent their supply back, something about people saying it was bad quality. They might have gotten new supply since.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

TinyTot165 wrote: »
    I ordered some last week, €200 for 25 bags of polish coal plus €60.89 delivery, haven't used any of it yet but was very happy with the last batch.

Hi - whereabouts are you? I'm on cavan/meath border and just trying to get a general idea of delivery costs. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TinyTot165

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Hi - whereabouts are you? I'm on cavan/meath border and just trying to get a general idea of delivery costs. Thanks

I'm in Sligo, i think delivery is around €60 for most counties, the price list for delivery is on the coal warehouse facebook page but you might need to search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Is the delivery price per pallet or has anyone ordered 2 or more gotten a better price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

For people looking for delivery prices.

These were the prices quoted in December.

"*** 1ton delivery pallet***

Donegal is €72.19

Dublin is €46.13

All of Northern Ireland is €58.43

Meath
    Kildare
    Wicklow
    Offal
    Kilkenny
    Monaghan
    Louth
    Carlow
    Wexford are €58.43

West Meath
    Langford
    Cavan
    Roscommon
    Limerick
    Sligo
    Leitrim are €60.89

Cork
    Kerry
    Galway
    Mayo
    Clare
    Carlow
    Tipperary are €64.89

This is for 1pallet/1ton or less, for delivery charges."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What's the general consensus on the quality?

I'm thinking of 2ton of either polish or doubles
    (Or a ton of each)

Im currently awaiting to finish of the hayes doubles I bought locally last year, which burns with very few cinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

marvsins wrote: »
    Is the delivery price per pallet or has anyone ordered 2 or more gotten a better price ?

No. With Ace, two pallets delivered is twice the price of one pallet delivered.

I would be tempted to order 2 tonnes if there was a price break but there isn't one which is IMO unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

deandean wrote:
    I would be tempted to order 2 tonnes if there was a price break but there isn't one which is IMO unfair.

deandean wrote:
    No. With Ace, two pallets delivered is twice the price of one pallet delivered.

Delivery price is by the pallet and not by the tonne. There are 25 40kg bags to the tonne but when I ordered last year they were able to put 40 bags on the pallet. This might be what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Delivery price is by the pallet and not by the tonne. There are 25 40kg bags to the tonne but when I ordered last year they were able to put 40 bags on the pallet. This might be what you need to do

I think coal comes originally with 40 bags per pallet, so that might be an option.

What's the consensus on the quality?

My local coal merchant, from whom I buy from by the pallet (40x40kg) will always give me a free bag/damaged bag to try before I buy.
    And has even offered to take the coal back if in not happy with it.

mikeecho wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on the quality?

I'm thinking of 2ton of either polish or doubles
    (Or a ton of each)

Im currently awaiting to finish of the hayes doubles I bought locally last year, which burns with very few cinders.
    mikeecho wrote: »
    I think coal comes originally with 40 bags per pallet, so that might be an option.

What's the consensus on the quality?

My local coal merchant, from whom I buy from by the pallet (40x40kg) will always give me a free bag/damaged bag to try before I buy.
    And has even offered to take the coal back if in not happy with it.

for my twopence worth....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96410207&postcount=310

chasm wrote: »
    PRICE DROP

POLISH COAL - €8 PER BAG
    DOUBLES - €8 PER BAG
    SINGLES - €7 PER BAG
    SLACK - €6 PER BAG
    OVOIDS - €12 PER BAG
    CLEARFLAME - €12 PER BAG

Anyone remember which coal the yellow bag was? Think it was the polish @ €8 but...?

I'm nearly sure you're right Vic

My last delivery of it was in a white bag though as they ran out of yellow apparently.

Still have half a dozen bags left over from last winter but will be going for more once the stove is lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ford4610

Can anyone recommend the best coal for a stove to heat 12 rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone remember which coal the yellow bag was? Think it was the polish @ €8 but...?

The yellow bag was the polish coal. Still have 3½ bags left from last year. Will probably put in another order around November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

vicwatson wrote: »

I think there was a price increase in January, as Polish coal was €8.80 for a 40kg bag according to their fb page. I bought polish coal previously and it was in a white bag but as someone else has stated, they changed bags.

Advertisement