Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DK build thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

(gotta stop buying stuff I dont really need)

Yea like bucky! Keep the faith can't wait to see it! You go girl!

Just spent 30e (inc delivery from usa) on a poxy bracket for the bezel.
    Only one guy in the world has repos.
    I was going to skip it but I've come this far.:rolleyes:

might as well go 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I need a bezel bracket for my defender, who is it who makes them?

http://www.chompingquarters.com/store.php/categories/reproduction-parts

If its the same we could spit postage,
    atho postage wasnt too bad considering $16.50

You'd think plans for a DK would be easy to come across on the web.
    The jackobud ones are fairly crappy,
    - they are .JPG with think blurry lines
    - in imperial
    - leave out loads of stuff.
    - half the measurements are wrong (even the height,depth and width! )
    :(
    Its taking me more than 8 hours to get detailed cad drawings done.
    The angle of the monitor angle is the only thing im questioning myself about.

Anybody wants a look heres one of them with almost every thing on it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4fpbp9owk9z3ap/All%20sides%20no%20dimension.dxf

• Advertisement

Few more bits for the puzzle!
    4 original button holders and micro switches.All the way from the USA!
    Nintendo buttons are smaller than the normal ones and dont have a thing for mounting a microswitch so you need these.
    Also a bag of coach bolts for the coin door and CPO,and 3 tiny tiny switches for the test and service buttons.
    2014-02-26+17.29.51.jpg

Still waiting on the lower bezel retainer from the states and a replacement CRT socket for the monitor neckboard.4 weeks now waiting on that.Should of got it off amazon uk :(

All thats left then is the coin mechs.I could go ahead without them but if I dont get them before I never will:o

Also Japland might slow this down but the expensive bits are bought.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 satkid01

How you getting on mate i see your busy this is one of my all time favourite cabs.Love all the retro bits you gathered.as regards the board your putting in it i have had a few of these and different versions to .I always find the sound a bit tinny to its not just 100 % if you know what i mean hows yours,tried both outputs on audio different speakers and amps and came to the conclusion i was stuck with it.not that it matters to you cos your probably going to hide all other games on the board and just have dk on it.gyruss used to irritate me a bit with these as well high score and some colours just not correct,I messed about with the monitors a lot trying to brighten the high score and make it as good as a could but was never just happy with it .have that mega drive put away for you with golden axe 2 its free to you whenever ur accross this way.Must have cost you a small fortune all these bits.How much have you spent so far?.

You could have gone to mitch and templated his mario cab think there the same.correct me if i am wrong.he wouldnt have minded one bit

2pissed2twist is that you?
    Long time no see ;-)
    I'm trying not to keep count for the cost but I reckon it'll be 450 + the Wood.
    I lucked out on the coin door, bezel, marquee and cpo with a crazy deal.
    When we gonna see your collection?
    Cheers for the mega drive. Totally forgot!
    Will be down your way at some stage hopefully.

Yeh sure is.That monitor u had looked fit for the dump .just look at it now.Amazing what a bit of time and effort does.would love those bits to do one myself.it took a good bit of sourcing i would say.Is there any original nintendo dk cabs left in this country?.Seem to be quite rare everywere except the states now,never see any for sale.

• Advertisement

I dont think they ever made it to Ireland or the UK.
    I know they had crazy kong a licensed version of DK in a generic cab AFAIK
    I'll consider picking that up at some stage for it but Im back on a budget now so will have to wait.

I'd say you could get on from the US via france but they seem to all need a ton of work/money to get them right.
    It least this way I'll get it right once (hopefully)

you going to share your cab collection with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

urbanledge wrote: »
    I dont think they ever made it to Ireland or the UK.

Only time I ever saw one was in a little travelling fun fair thing that came to town one summer for the august bank holiday. Lost a few 10p coins to it! It was sandwiched in a prefab style container, that was mounted on the back of a truck, with a bunch of other old games, mostly with fairly loose/half broken controls!

urbanledge.your more than welcome anytime to drop in and have a look.have quite a few projects going on at the moment.My downfall is i always seem to be working on 2 or 3 at the same time.I should really completely finish one and then start on another but i still do it this way crazy.

The good old days out the back of a van.I can smell the candyfloss and popcorn now.Would you believe it there used to be quite a few of these in my seaside town in the 80,s.original nintendos .i remember one in the bus depot in town.we used to go after school and play for a couple of hours most evenings.I dont understand the maths in this now but we used to lift each other up to the plug switch and flick it on and off like mad to get free credits on it.We always found ways in the good old days to find a few loopholes in coin mech stuff.Seems strange all these years later working on cabs.Never thought when i was younger that i would ever have some of my own.

used to play the alca bootleg back in the day also in the arcade i know it was this version cos you put ur hand up above top of the ladder to stop the barrel coming down on it.when u got to around 315.000 though you wouldnt have any control of mario at all he would run from left to right and get killed .thus killing all my lifes i had left.was good value for 10p though falcon booty doesnt seem to allow you to do this .

Got the bezel retainer today!
    All that's left is the coin mechs!

I dont know why but I ordered the last few bits from arcade shop.de
    I'm hoping those MVS carts sell to fund it.
    stuck them on J+ and A0
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I dont know why but I ordered the last few bits from arcade shop.de
    I'm hoping those MVS carts sell to fund it.
    stuck them on J+ and A0
    fingers crossed

Shipping pricey from arcadeshop?

24e
    Not the worst but it had to be done.

Project took a major step back :(
    I changed out the neck board socket and powered it up.
    didnt notice the remote board was sitting on top of my car keys on the table.

there was a pop/crackle and a spark at the keys and a smokey smell.
    all I could get was an all red screen :'(
    I cried a little,then I wanted to stab someone.
    then I put it away in a rage.

I think its going to have to go to grantspin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

ah sh1teballs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I know the feeling of something like that going wrong. Its heartbreaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah balls upon balls. Is it a generic enough monitor or did Nintendo use something odd and expensive ?

Ah balls upon balls. Is it a generic enough monitor or did Nintendo use something odd and expensive ?

I dont have an original monitor.Its a polo so i might have some hope.
    what a **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ahhhhh noooo!!!!

That's terrible :( Things breaking by themselves is one thing, but things breaking because of your feckin' keys is just too annoying for words really.

I hope you flung the keys out the window.

got some sexy bits in the post today.
    2014-03-11+17.23.38.jpg

In this pic you can see where the dent was in the coin door.
    I had to fill the dent with car filler.Theres a rib down the back of the door so I couldnt beat it out.
    You can hardly see IRL

2014-03-11+17.23.46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looking good me oul mucker!!
    Have ye sourced a replacement Monitor yet?

Not sure about the monitor,
    I have a hanty mtc 9000 here but needs a bit of tlc and a remote board.
    It could well be perfect(after I replace all the caps and rusted resisters )
    but its 110v. might send the polo chassis to the UK and be done with it :(
    Also a very sound man (Satkid01 here)grabbed me 3 hantys from that "OP raid" in Galway.No idea whats there and wont get them till I'm down Mayo way next.
    So Ive loads of options.
    Deffo wont be moving much more till I get one sorted.
    I might get the timber together. Originals were 15mm ply so I think I'll stick to that with some solid batons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Not sure about the monitor,
    I have a hanty mtc 9000 here but needs a bit of tlc and a remote board.
    It could well be perfect(after I replace all the caps and rusted resisters )
    but its 110v. might send the polo chassis to the UK and be done with it :(
    Also a very sound man (Satkid01 here)grabbed me 3 hantys from that "OP raid" in Galway.No idea whats there and wont get them till I'm down Mayo way next.
    So Ive loads of options.
    Deffo wont be moving much more till I get one sorted.
    I might get the timber together. Originals were 15mm ply so I think I'll stick to that with some solid batons etc.

What was this if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement

yea a vague ad came up for 30 arcade cabs came up on adverts.
    A fella here went to get them but it turned out to be a bit of a let down as most were wrote off.
    op raid is nerd slang for operator raid.where collectors get the change to "raid" a warehouse/arcade.

very rare in these parts!
    but some day...........

Advertisement