Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

A the moment we've got a cabinet in Blennerville & a proposed one in Camp Co. Kerry, seperated by about 13k approx. Assuming some sort of fibre connection needs to be made between the two, can it be fair to surmise that anything between those two locations could be linked to fibre broadband? or is a separate cab needed for every offshoot from the main cable heading westwards? https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy0tw0irfgoy4yx/fibre%202.JPG
    fibre 2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A the moment we've got a cabinet in Blennerville & a proposed one in Camp Co. Kerry, seperated by about 13k approx. Assuming some sort of fibre connection needs to be made between the two, can it be fair to surmise that anything between those two locations could be linked to fibre broadband? or is a separate cab needed for every offshoot from the main cable heading westwards? https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy0tw0irfgoy4yx/fibre%202.JPG
    fibre 2.JPG

Nope. The cabs are put in where existing copper runs. Even if they fitted a fibre tap mid way and put a cab in, the copper cables probably wouldn't merge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

Hi Guys, I'm new to Boards, so not allowed to post images or links yet, so I'll have to try and explain first.

I'm in Allenwood South in Kildare, about 2.9km from the vDSL cabinet in the village. It's not enabled yet, but the Eircom site states September, while the Eircom Wholesale site say Winter 2014. But, it doesn't end there. The excellent Ireland Offline map says that Allenwood "cabinet rehomed to Robertstown". I don't know what this means. I have read so many entries here are on other sites and I still don't know what it means.

Also, as I said, I'm 2.9km away from the cabinet, will Eircom let me into the "eFibre Magical Club", or am I doomed to languish in Slow Speed Land?
    I have Eircom Broadband at an amazing 0.8Megs, it's very slow, but never gets worse, so is handy as a backup and it's unlimited. My main BB is supplied by Ripplecom, but is too unreliable and far too depressing to even think about. I think my aDSL is coming directly from Robertstown, the Allenwood box was never enabled, even though there are supposed to be 3,500 people in the catchment area. I am one of the view people that actually have aDSL in Allenwood, most people don't seem to be able to get it. I live on the far side of the village from Robertstown, with the phone lines going straight through Allenwood village itself, but most people can't get even get aDSL in the centre, strange that it skips them all and then comes and extra 3Km to me. I know I do have a dedicated phone line, whereas most people are line sharing.

So please help,

What does "Cabinet Rehomed" mean?
    Is 2.9Km too far away from the cabinet? (I would be happy with even 8 or 10 megs, but some charts say yeah and some say "Nay"). Some sites say 1.2Km is the maximum range for vDSL, due to bandwidth and reflection on the copper pair.
    Should I build up my hopes for eFibre in 2014?

Hi Guys, I'm new to Boards, so not allowed to post images or links yet, so I'll have to try and explain first.

I'm in Allenwood South in Kildare, about 2.9km from the vDSL cabinet in the village. It's not enabled yet, but the Eircom site states September, while the Eircom Wholesale site say Winter 2014. But, it doesn't end there. The excellent Ireland Offline map says that the Allenwood "cabinet rehomed to Robertstown". I don't know what this means. I have read so many entries here and on other sites and I still don't know what it means.

Also, as I said, I'm 2.9km away from the cabinet, will Eircom let me into the "eFibre Magical Club", or am I doomed to languish in Slow Speed Land?
    I have Eircom Broadband at an amazing 0.8Megs, it's very slow, but never gets worse, so is handy as a backup and it's unlimited. My main BB is supplied by Ripplecom, but is too unreliable and far too depressing to even think about. I think my aDSL is coming directly from Robertstown, the Allenwood box was never enabled, even though there are supposed to be 3,500 people in the catchment area. I am one of the view people that actually have aDSL in Allenwood, most people don't seem to be able to get it. I live on the far side of the village from Robertstown, with the phone lines going straight through Allenwood village itself, but most people can't get even get aDSL in the centre, strange that it skips them all and then comes and extra 3Km to me. I know I do have a dedicated phone line, whereas most people are line sharing.

So please help,

Is 2.9Km too far away from the cabinet? (I would be happy with even 8 or 10 megs, but some charts say yeah and some say "Nay"). Some sites say 1.2Km is the maximum range for vDSL, due to bandwidth and reflection on the copper pair.
    Should I build up my hopes for eFibre in 2014?

Apologies for duplicate post, couldn't edit or delete it, just a white screen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Techspert wrote: »

It means that the fibre will run back to a different exchange than the copper lines.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Thanks for that!

Which cabinet would you be closer to they are building 1 exactly on the cross isn't it? one also in Graydon manor in rtown, see major works going on in those 2, all round kilmeague too

Hi MightyReds,

I would be much closer to the one in Allenwood, (I'm in Allenwood South). I'm 2.9km from the Allenwood Cross Cabinet and probably about 8 km from Robertstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Is anyone able to tell me where the Cabinets are located in Lusk and if there will be anymore installed in the area? Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Hi MightyReds,

I would be much closer to the one in Allenwood, (I'm in Allenwood South). I'm 2.9km from the Allenwood Cross Cabinet and probably about 8 km from Robertstown.

I thought you might be near brockaghs cross all the work is going on that end, the cabinets going in robertstown coill dubh and at allenwood cross, looks like there is no work planned at all in allenwood south and i think 2.9km is too far seems around 1.3km is the cut off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

The fibre cabinet in Enniskerry village (BRI1_046) is now live (website map says go-live for the area of August 2014).

Just got installed this evening. I'm about 800m from the cabinet so I've been set on what is (hopefully) low speeds initially (12 down, 1 up) but I'll be in touch with Eircom once I've given it a few days to try and up the speeds. From what the engineer said, I should be able to get considerably more than that given the signal strength, etc.

Still - the latency is a million times better from where we were this morning - the contention on the previous ADSL connection meant 56k speeds from about 5pm the evenings - was virtually unusable for anything more than basic browsing. Little to no contention is worth it alone for me!

What are your SNRs like?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I've said it here before and I'll say it again now......

Never order anything from door to door utility reps.
    It will almost always end up with a f*ck up.

Just to update on my "journey" with Fibre Broadband. After a lot of time wasting on the phone I found out that Eircom actually had received the order but due to the fact that I was a "Winback" customer (previous Eircom customer coming back) my details were stored somewhere entirely different and thus no Eircom CS rep could find any reference to my order.

Deep Breath.

Despite this silliness I went through with the order and as of today have Fibre running. It's nowhere near the max speed of 70mb but it is close to the salesman's quoted 43 mb.

And that is a massive leap forward from my previous 8mb connection.

3618644630.png

I'm not one bit jealous, not even one teeny bit!

I'm so happy and content with my magnificent 0.8Meg from Eircom.

You must be chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

Eircom actually had received the order but due to the fact that I was a "Winback" customer (previous Eircom customer coming back) my details were stored somewhere entirely different and thus no Eircom CS rep could find any reference to my order.

Typical eircom lie. Same happened to me (2 years ago) and I was first time ever costumer. You will truly enjoy quitting their service...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

ED E wrote: »
    What are your SNRs like?

30.1dB upstream and 31.6dB down. The attenutation on the line is higher on the downstream than you'd expect for the distance (22dB for 800-900m)but it may be due to some conditions on the road (there's a section that is permanently wet regardless of the weather) that could be causing that.

The "Attainable Net Data Rate" is giving me 11Mb up and 35-45 down so I'm guessing I've got a bit of scope if that value means anything.

csaddict wrote: »
    30.1dB upstream and 31.6dB down. The attenutation on the line is higher on the downstream than you'd expect for the distance (22dB for 800-900m)but it may be due to some conditions on the road (there's a section that is permanently wet regardless of the weather) that could be causing that.

The "Attainable Net Data Rate" is giving me 11Mb up and 35-45 down so I'm guessing I've got a bit of scope if that value means anything.

Yeah, that's a little low on the attains maybe, snrs are good. Have them test it to see if the line is earthing in that wet patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Eircom are laughable,said on their website that efibre was coming to my area 14th July i check again today and its not available until August with no date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Hi,

I know this is off topic but I need an answer pretty fast & I know from experience that there are many helpful people in this thread.

I am a current Vodafone Fibre Broadband only customer. We don't have a home phone but when we ordered the broadband we were given a landline number.

I could be starting a job next week which is work from home and requires me to have a dedicated home phone line for the company use only.

Is this possible through Vodafone/Eircom? Or what is the best way to do this?

• Advertisement

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is off topic but I need an answer pretty fast & I know from experience that there are many helpful people in this thread.

I am a current Vodafone Fibre Broadband only customer. We don't have a home phone but when we ordered the broadband we were given a landline number.

I could be starting a job next week which is work from home and requires me to have a dedicated home phone line for the company use only.

Is this possible through Vodafone/Eircom? Or what is the best way to do this?

You should have made a new thread, but anyways.

Were you given a number beginning with 88 or a real number? If its a real number call vodafone and have them modify your package. Should only take 24hrs then youll be able to make calls. If its the 88 number it could take a week depending on whether you have a dial tone or not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Eircom are laughable,said on their website that efibre was coming to my area 14th July i check again today and its not available until August with no date now.

Not Quite, Would bet my life it said July 14 as in july this year, Still not good enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

pajero12 wrote: »
    Not Quite, Would bet my life it said July 14 as in july this year, Still not good enough though

No it definitely said today's date,in other nearby towns they were activated today

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Down where I am in the South West it was supposed to be May, then June, then July.
    When I checked this evening its now August :rolleyes:
    Being honest I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    Its embarrassing now being truthful about it.
    Couldn't organize the proverbial in a brewery :o

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Nearly sure I saw Merrion Square in Dublin down as being ready to go for June/July this year. Now I'm looking at the map and there's no rollout date at all for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Down where I am in the South West it was supposed to be May, then June, then July.
    When I checked this evening its now August :rolleyes:
    Being honest I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    Its embarrassing now being truthful about it.
    Couldn't organize the proverbial in a brewery :o

you think thats bad

Mine was November 2013
    then went to October, December, Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June and finally July ha
    LONG WAIT

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭amdaley28

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you think thats bad

Mine was November 2013
    then went to October, December, Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June and finally July ha
    LONG WAIT

Its not the wait, its just embarrassing that a plan can't be laid out & followed up in an orderly fashion. There's no point in announcing that an area will be completed by such & such date when its not going to happen because the original plan was far too optimistic.
    Its like a tradesman telling a customer he will be with them on Monday morning when he knows full well that he won't be finished his previous job until the following Wed or Thurs.
    As I said earlier I'm not really pushed as there are some who are much worse off than I am. I have only 3Mb but at least its consistent in that it never goes up or down day or night.Some folk have nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Dont know if anyone spotted this or not but Eircom have their own version (Like it is to be believed) it does however name the exchange units and they seem to be up to date as far as i can tell :-

eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Click the link for NGB broadband /Fibre ( OR image rather ) you can use distance calculators the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Even though i live in the main village of Macroom Co Cork, they tell me and get this Yes its available in Macroom live 2 + days but that i cannot have it, NGB is the best i will ever get quoting young Ian from Eircom . Ball bags. Cannot wait until the ESB rollout the 1000MB mop up the loose ends UPC didnt get to nail. Lesson learned privatizing a telephony firm to let investors suck the life out of and then try to play catch up later - FAIL EIRCOM yet again.

In my situation my line follows the main road and rather than have me hang from an exchange that is near me I have been routed to the main exchange in the village roughly 900 meters away following the road - the main exchange is upgraded but none of the towns cabinets are yet live - they really should not advertise this as efiber available its false advertising .

12 calls in today to eircom and to be honest a drum of pertrol awaits the arrival of the *****ty* adsl modem for NGB which in fairness is 20 years old tech, how is that Next Generation broadband .

• Advertisement

dbit wrote: »
    Even though i live in the main village of Macroom Co Cork, they tell me and get this Yes its available in Macroom live 2 + days but that i cannot have it, NGB is the best i will ever get quoting young Ian from Eircom . Ball bags. Cannot wait until the ESB rollout the 1000MB mop up the loose ends UPC didnt get to nail. Lesson learned privatizing a telephony firm to let investors suck the life out of and then try to play catch up later - FAIL EIRCOM yet again.

In my situation my line follows the main road and rather than have me hang from an exchange that is near me I have been routed to the main exchange in the village roughly 900 meters away following the road - the main exchange is upgraded but none of the towns cabinets are yet live - they really should not advertise this as efiber available its false advertising .

12 calls in today to eircom and to be honest a drum of pertrol awaits the arrival of the *****ty* adsl modem for NGB which in fairness is 20 years old tech, how is that Next Generation broadband .

Its next gen as its on decent backhaul so it doesnt congest too much, compared to legacy DSL thats totally overloaded.

MRM isnt live at all yet it would appear:
    MRM1_002 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_003 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_009 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_010 due 06/08/14
    MRM1_005 due 06/08/14

By your description though you're on a direct fed line. Thos arent getting VDSL yet except trialists until comreg and the line ops come to a deal on how it will be sold. Give it a few months and theres a good chance youll get it.

Advertisement