Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

So it seems Charlie can do the job as well as Marian Finucane as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

She is aware of the growing opprobrium so she would do well to have a word with her boss and make sure she is at least working more hours for the money. Ha what am I saying?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

So it seems Charlie can do the job as well as Marian Finucane as well...
    He may as well... They're paying him anyway and he's doing sod all else!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The show was shocking this morning .Charlie left what ever he had left in the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Valve

We all seem to accept that life itself, like radio (and charity work), has no 'Status Quo' - something I often forget when I'm brushing my teeth and notice the tap running. What do I do. I stop it! So, who's to blame? The tap, the water, my teeth or me? I'm not the only one in control of the sink!
    In 'any' well-paid presenters situation, who do we blame?
    The Presenter, the agent, greed, the employer, the listener?
    Would we 'like'....not 'admire', a presenter who settles for less?
    Did Marconi want to make progress or money? Was it all simply a hobby or a pasion?
    Humans are the only creatures who can blush - or indeed have to!
    Hhmm...

• Advertisement

We all seem to accept that life itself, like radio (and charity work), has no 'Status Quo' - something I often forget when I'm brushing my teeth and notice the tap running. What do I do. I stop it! So, who's to blame? The tap, the water, my teeth or me? I'm not the only one in control of the sink!
    Did Marconi want to make progress or money? Was it all simply a hobby or a pasion?
    Hhmm...

Valve wrote: »
    Hhmm...
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

I thought he was good enough.. At least as good as Marian anyway.. Asked similar direct types sort of questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement

Ah Plowman, dont set that low a standard.. I used to think Mary Wilson was good as a court reporter.. good looking, good delivery.. but she is just awful when she's off script. I think she may have been too conditioned not to think off the cuff, and to just read off the sheet...

So I am certain that he would do a job better than Mary Wilson, and also I think he might do a good job as well.. ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Would he stick it out though ?
    I reckon he would be itching to get back to the frontline of investigative journalism after a few months of being couped up in a studio reading scripts and looking at the clock.

He was so bad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I can't stand the reports he does for the news, but I thought Charlie was quite good on the radio. I think it would be a good idea to give him a shot at the late night news show that was touted for him. Vincent Browne is getting a bit tedious and boring, the whole programme looks very lazy, the set included. A bit of competition on RTE wouldn't do any harm.

I am shocked that Marian Finucane is still on holidays. Her holidays are so long that two presenters are needed to fill them? That's a disgrace. I really like her show, and Marian herself for that matter, but this is just tarnishing the whole thing.

Agreed! Not only Marians salary, but many others too. The salary level is supposed to cover the fact that she (like most of the top earners) are not allowed to do commercials. Their public persona has to be dealth with. A moral code of conduct is involved also!!!They have appearences to keep up and 'things' to go to! They employ an account etc etc. But, I reckon in the current climate if all were called in and asked about loyalty to the station which gave most of them their first break and regard for totally unrealistic salaries, and told they have to take further salary cuts, all the top earners have to do is point to the duration of their current contract! Most have a 'contra' contract with RTE TV too!
    Nobody likes their business out in the open. These presenters hire agents to negotiate and agents hire office staff. Like Fair City staff , Corrie, Eastenders etc, no commercial v/o's allowed. But public engagements, yes!
    Ah, well, thank God for 'Cleaner Close.'!!!
    Marians salary is sickening and Joe's and Ryans. Gay I believe is still on a retainer for TV. Not an Equity rate in site.

part timer Marian off yet again today, Charlie standing in.. He's just said "if listeners could see the emotion on Eimear's face, it's palpable" quality radio. Maybe take a pic with your mobile phone Charlie and upload it up to the website.

On at least six seperate occasions during todays programme, Charlie Bird has referred to this weeks discussions on Liveline and used the phrase "people are drowning in a sea of debt" with considerabe emphises on the word 'drowning'.

FFS Charlie, lay off on the hyperbole. We get enough of that from Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

part timer Marian off yet again today, Charlie standing in.. He's just said "if listeners could see the emotion on Eimear's face, it's palpable" quality radio. Maybe take a pic with your mobile phone Charlie and upload it up to the website.

JonathonAnon this is getting crazy with rtes Part timer Marian i dont think she should bother coming back she obviously hasnt the time to do her w/end job as long as she keep's getting the 652k for part time "job" because.........shes worth it.....haha

bob50 wrote: »
    obviously hasnt the time to do her w/end job as long as she keep's getting the 652k for part time "job" because.........shes worth it.....haha

Well unless there's a genuine reason, like she's ill or something... (and guess who's gonna feel like a fekn prize tulip if that's the case)..

To promote the show as The Marian Finucane Show at this stage is just false advertising.

Just listened back to Charlie Bird interviewing Tom Murphy. It's a very good interview.. Charlie answered the rights questions, albeit at times it was a bit like he was trying to make the show into "Bart's People". Tom Murphy comes across as a very genuine guy...

When you consider what happened to his family, children, Larry's wife and children, the sisters/mother/father, it's clear that they are victims too.. I hope the media, and the people who harrassing him fupp off and leave him (and his wife and kids) alone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

To promote the show as The Marian Finucane Show at this stage is just false advertising.

Yep, Really annoys me when RTE still refer to the absentee's "show".
    Fcuk em, their not there, call it the Charlie bird, Katherine Thomas, Myles Dungan show etc.

By that reckoning they still should be calling the morning slot the Gay Byrne show with Myles Dungan standing in for Pat Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Poly wrote: »
    Yep, Really annoys me when RTE still refer to the absentee's "show".
    Fcuk em, their not there, call it the Charlie bird, Katherine Thomas, Myles Dungan show etc.

By that reckoning they still should be calling the morning slot the Gay Byrne show with Myles Dungan standing in for Pat Kenny.

brilliant post

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It'd be great if somebody could tot up what her wage per show is when her holidays are factored in. She's missing from the show for at least two months per year when you include Christmas, Summer, Halloween/Easter(?), not to mention the odd weekend here and there that she misses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I read somewhere that she is the highest paid radio broadcaster in europe per hour on air. Higher than Wogan, Moyles or Chris Evans... Good to see our licence fee so well spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I read somewhere that she is the highest paid radio broadcaster in europe per hour on air. Higher than Wogan, Moyles or Chris Evans... Good to see our licence fee so well spent

The Queen of England is envious of Marion

dambarude wrote: »
    It'd be great if somebody could tot up what her wage per show is when her holidays are factored in. She's missing from the show for at least two months per year when you include Christmas, Summer, Halloween/Easter(?), not to mention the odd weekend here and there that she misses.

That was done recently. I can't remember where but I'll try and find out.
    It was calculated that she is paid around €50 per minute for the time she spends on air.

21st/22nd August - Charlie Bird
    14th/15th August - Charlie Bird
    7th/8th August - Rachael English
    31st July / 1st August - Rachael English
    24th/25th July - Rachael English
    17th/18th July - Rachael English
    10th/11th July - Rachael English
    3rd/4th July - Rachael English
    26th/27th June - Marian Finucane
    12th/13th June - Marian Finucane
    5th/6th June - Marian Finucane
    29th/30th May - Rachael English
    22nd/23rd May - Rachael English

Just to update my little chart from the other thread.. Charlie has said he will be there next week as well so that makes it three out of thirteen weeks that Marian has presented "The 'Marian Finucane' Show".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just to update my little chart from the other thread.. Charlie has said he will be there next week as well so that makes it three out of thirteen weeks that Marian has presented "The 'Marian Finucane' Show".
    Have you complained to RTE or have you been too busy making charts?

Aidric wrote: »
    Have you complained to RTE or have you been too busy making charts?

The latter .. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

The latter .. :)

good post!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement