Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to stop Pre-Boot Execution Environment

Options
  • 07-06-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have recently installed windows Xp on my laptop and have noticed a pre-boot execution when I start it up.
    It says something like:
    "Yukon PXE v5.17.2.3
    Pre-Boot execution environment (PXE) v2.1"

It then does some media cable check which it always seems to fail. And then windows loads up normally.

So whats the problem you ask? It's just annoying me. I have never seen this before on any computer or laptop (including this one) and delays windows start-up by a minute or so, and does nothing as far as I can tell.

I have read through this and still don't understand as to why I have it or need it.

Any clues as to what is going on and how to stop it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

you could try hitting windows key + r , then typing in Msconfig , going to startup and trying to find whats causing the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

papu wrote: »
    you could try hitting windows key + r , then typing in Msconfig , going to startup and trying to find whats causing the problem?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Isn't that the list of programs that are started when windows is loaded?

This problem (I suppose it's not really a problem, more of an annoyance) happens before windows is loaded, hence the program causing the problem wouldn't be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

PXE booting is disabled in the BIOS of your computer.

This next advice is at your own risk! Dont do it if you are not happy playing in the BIOS of your machine.

You need to bring up the BIOS screen which is usually something like F10 when your computer starts. Your PC may have a prompt like press "key" to enter setup which is the one you need to press

Then you will have to find the section that deals with either LAN Boot or PXE boot and turn it off.

Save the settings and restart your PC to affect the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thanks, that solved it :)

Should have thought of that myself though :o

Thanks!

Advertisement