Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Is this written in a code of some sort?

Aaah Bondvillain ...is it yourself thats there.

Newcomer to the backwater of radio are we.?

My apologies that I didn't pm you with every post on this subject over the past two years.

You would have no trouble understanding the context had I done so.

Again apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Flutter tells it like it is! :)

Frontier gibberish.... I like it:D

I'm good at it:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

tbh wrote: »
    Heard that myself - thought Joe's contribution not too bad - seeing as it seemed to only consist of him saying "you are listening to.... with.... " at five-minute intervals - is that what you meant?

That's it TBH.
    Long intro by Joe, brief hello by mary then the rather eloquent O'Neill speaking...all grand. But each time the floor was opened to questions by the public Joe told us what we were listening to, where from, who organized and at whose request...it took 2 and a half minutes. It happened each time between the 5 different questioners. 8 times in total he read the same thing. Unbearable.
    What was worse about it was his tone and diction. It ran completely against O'Neill's smooth voice, lucidity of thought and clarity of reflection (if a bit more bland than I had been expecting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Aaah Bondvillain ...is it yourself thats there.

My apologies that I didn't pm you with every post on this subject over the past two years.

Dali suggested that every man's hell would be personalised.

Reading that, I now have a fair Idea what mine would be like.

• Advertisement

Majored on irony did we.??

;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Gaza situation caught them out with the truncated news coverage.........

Did the booze finally get the better of him? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pats back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

He must work to the school holidays so?

In that case, he'll be off for a mid term break around the 16th of Feb.

Indeed. How old are his kids now? They must be in thier teens.

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote: »
    He must work to the school holidays so?

In that case, he'll be off for a mid term break around the 16th of Feb.

This geezer must have me on ignore:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

This geezer must have me on ignore:rolleyes:

???

mick_irl wrote: »
    ???

I've only been highlighting that very fact to the point of nausea for the last four years.

Good man, keep in touch now, glad I'm not on ignore;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How's Kat Penny for Holy Days of Obligation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

humberklog wrote: »
    How's Kat Penny for Holy Days of Obligation?

Terrible. He was seen eating a McRib on Good Friday once. ( although the argument stands that there's actually a negligible amount of meat in it, the intention was still there)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

DMC wrote: »
    Can some one tell me again what is retirement age in Montrose?

Jimmy Magee?
    Larry Gogan?
    Gay Byrne?
    Sean (not so) Óg O'Ceallachain?
    Michael O'Muircheartaigh?

In saying that, great broadcasters, and good to see them still doing what they love, but if you think Maxi is for the old folks home, think again!

Great broadcasters ???? Get a grip my friend......all the above seniors are well past their sell by...going badly off some of them..."blown" as it were.

I won't deny they were competent in their prime...but that was long ago...long long ago.

The chief fault of RTE is not havin the balls to say to these boys ..."yore time is up - youve had yore day...time for the pipe an slippers...make way for younger blood"

But fcuk it I'm stupid..this the public service....normal rules do not apply

But fcuk it I'm stupid..this the public service....normal rules do not apply

So the older licence payer doesn't deserve to hear contemporary voices of there age on the air, in something that's not just Fáilte Isteach?

Independent radio and TV in this country is only 20 years old (pirates 30+), so the chance of geriatrics behind the mike are so much lessened. (Special exception for Northern Sound in Cavan/Monaghan, some presenters there sound like they were never teenagers)

Take any public broadcaster in the world, or even commercial broadcasters who have been around for decades, and they have their share of token old duffers who've been there since Marconi got a brainwave.

BBC Radio have had a few 90+ year old broadcasters too.

DMC wrote: »
    So the older licence payer doesn't deserve to hear contemporary voices of there age on the air, in something that's not just Fáilte Isteach?

Independent radio and TV in this country is only 20 years old (pirates 30+), so the chance of geriatrics behind the mike are so much lessened. (Special exception for Northern Sound in Cavan/Monaghan, some presenters there sound like they were never teenagers)

Take any public broadcaster in the world, or even commercial broadcasters who have been around for decades, and they have their share of token old duffers who've been there since Marconi got a brainwave.

BBC Radio have had a few 90+ year old broadcasters too.

Not sure I quite get yore point here friend...I'm sure it's my fault !

No problem with old duffers on air...but in their (it's spelled this way)appropriate place - dont have 70+ guys as DJ'S or sports commentators...just dosn't work.

My problem is not so much with age as with blandness and lazy preparation + those husky voiced bints who so seem to infest the studios of our National Broadcaster.

Not sure I quite get yore point here friend...I'm sure it's my fault !

No problem with old duffers on air...but in their (it's spelled this way)appropriate place - dont have 70+ guys as DJ'S or sports commentators...just dosn't work.

My problem is not so much with age as with blandness and lazy preparation + those husky voiced bints who so seem to infest the studios of our National Broadcaster.

What do you consider their appropriate place? If they are good enough, surely their age doesn't matter?

I agree that blandness and lazy preparation are woes in the industry, and that is a crime perpetrated by younger members, who, unlike their predecessors, do not have the time to learn their trade in the same way. It's mostly "in at the deep end" stuff.

Gravitas isn't something bestowed due to age. It's something that has to be earned.

P.S. Thanks for the tip. Other than the odd lapse in punctuation, your post was fine. It's a step above txt speak. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Great broadcasters ???? Get a grip my friend......all the above seniors are well past their sell by...going badly off some of them..."blown" as it were.

I can't agree with this. Michael Ó Muircheartiagh isn't passed his sell-by date, nobody can match up to his commentary skills, and anyone who tries only wishes they had his talent and flare.

Gay Byrne retired from Late Late and now look at it....jaysus we need him back.

Jimmy Magee still has it.

The reason why we need people like these, no matter what age they are is because they are all probably the most knowledgable in their game. Audiences have learned to trust them. You ask any GAA fan who the best commentator is and they'll all say Michael. You ask any TV talk show fan who they reckon is the best ever presenter and they'll probably say Gay Byrne. Nobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

mcscrub wrote: »
    INobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

hehe, unles you count Pat Kenny!!

mcscrub wrote: »
    I can't agree with this. Michael Ó Muircheartiagh isn't passed his sell-by date, nobody can match up to his commentary skills, and anyone who tries only wishes they had his talent and flare.

Gay Byrne retired from Late Late and now look at it....jaysus we need him back.

Jimmy Magee still has it.

The reason why we need people like these, no matter what age they are is because they are all probably the most knowledgable in their game. Audiences have learned to trust them. You ask any GAA fan who the best commentator is and they'll all say Michael. You ask any TV talk show fan who they reckon is the best ever presenter and they'll probably say Gay Byrne. Nobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

MMM....Agreed O'Muirceartaig has a unique talent and style..but the guy is a throwback to the tilley lamp and the rural electrification scheme !!

His style does nothing to attract a wider urban following to GAA games and believe me the GAA need that - attendances at all the semi finals in 2008 show that when the Dubs are not playing Croke par is less than half full...warning signs - believe me !

Byrne was an excellent broadcaster but Tubridy would do a pretty good job on the Late Late...my point being that younger broadcasters would do a very good job...given the chance.

Can't agree on Magee...come on !! What's this guy doing still on Radio - we have Darragh Molony a knowlegible and excellent commentator who is seriously underused ;;great comment team too in Dowling and Jim Rock.

I have a senior position in FMCG and the golden rule is ..."never go past your sell by date"

Something our public service broadcaster should note.

FMCG??

FMCG??

Huh ??:confused:

Fast Moving Consumer Goods Flutt....bit like your sh1tes !!

MWMWAMWWWAAAAAA :D:D

:eek:

Steady up there Fulton,less of the personal please.

This forum is properly moderated.

Youl'l have the jam down on top of you:rolleyes:

:eek:

Steady up there Fulton,less of the personal please.

This forum is properly moderated.

Youl'l have the jam down on top of you:rolleyes:

Lost the run o mesell....SORRY

Nothing personal ,hope the Mods don't take an interest.

See Marzie is gone for the mid term!!

Probably down in SA doing "Charity" work.

€450k for that gig is a nice little packet.

She is excellent, but like the Public service, the HSE, and the Oireachtais,costs too much.

How do they get away with it??

Half term you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I think Rachel English is far better than Ms Finucane, "you are very welcome indeed" who reminds me of a female Mike Murphy indeed.

Advertisement