Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ebay. Selecting EU sellers

• 21-02-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to buy some products on Ebay.ie and selected EU for the item location. However I am mainly getting UK sites.

There seems no way to contact Ebay about this. Is there any regulator I could contact instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There would be no regulator with any power or interest. From eBay's perspective they are still in the EU for customs purposes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

L1011 wrote: »
    There would be no regulator with any power or interest. From eBay's perspective they are still in the EU for customs purposes anyway.

Thanks for replying.
    I appreciate that the UK will remain aligned for customs purposes but I am more concerned about consumer protection as the items would be expensive, to me anyway, and I want to have some comeback if I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Ebay regulator? To filter your search results for you? Are you having a laugh?

If you want to buy from the continent try ebay.fr and eBay.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I understand the .ie version of ebay is for sellers willing to post to ROI. You are not going to get anywhere with only irish sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rock22 wrote: »
    I have been trying to buy some products on Ebay.ie and selected EU for the item location. However I am mainly getting UK sites.

There seems no way to contact Ebay about this. Is there any regulator I could contact instead?

Until January 1st 2021 the UK are part of the EU so eBay's filter is correct. You just have to manually filter out the UK seller's yourself. The fact that consumer protection will change is not a reason to kick the UK off the EU filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

It's now March 2021 and the UK has left the EU so I don't feel too bad about resurrecting this thread.

Why on earth does ebay persist in including UK sellers if one selects the EU sellers filter?

I don't want to see goods from UK sellers. They left the EU so fook them. I'm happy to buy from Irish sellers, or failing that, from mainland Europe even if it means slightly higher freight charges. At least I'll get the items relatively promptly and won't have to wait a fortnight for them to clear through customs.

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

exaisle wrote: »
    It's now March 2021 and the UK has left the EU so I don't feel too bad about resurrecting this thread.

Why on earth does ebay persist in including UK sellers if one selects the EU sellers filter?

I don't want to see goods from UK sellers. They left the EU so fook them. I'm happy to buy from Irish sellers, or failing that, from mainland Europe even if it means slightly higher freight charges. At least I'll get the items relatively promptly and won't have to wait a fortnight for them to clear through customs.

FFS!

In the past mostly bought from the UK prior to 1/1 but now eBay is useless. As you say most sellers are in the UK and shipping is 15quid which is a lot

I suppose eBay has gotten worse in terms of protecting sellers so I don't blame anyone not willing to use it to sell. It's a joke of a process and eBay is absolutely crap when dealing with dodgy buyers and their claims

I have accepted now that ebay is a no-go option unless there's something i really need, and so far i have no special orders haha (i have been with eBay since 2005-2006)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes I miss eBay for the odd useful thing that it was difficult to get elsewhere.

But it is unacceptable really that their search filters won't (and probably deliberately too) exclude GB sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I am glad that I am not the only one with the problem.
    As you say, Ebay is now useless, at least for the items i buy, because i get pages of UK sellers before I find one German or Fr seller. And I am not fluent enough to understand all the German or French technical terms.

However, i have had success using Aliexpress. same Paypal protection, and deliveries from EU on many goods ( it always specifies where goods come from )
    A pity because EBay was such a useful site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

rock22 wrote: »
    I am glad that I am not the only one with the problem.
    As you say, Ebay is now useless, at least for the items i buy, because i get pages of UK sellers before I find one German or Fr seller. And I am not fluent enough to understand all the German or French technical terms.

However, i have had success using Aliexpress. same Paypal protection, and deliveries from EU on many goods ( it always specifies where goods come from )
    A pity because EBay was such a useful site.

On Google chrome you can translate

• Advertisement
Advertisement