Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post missing parcel

Options
  • 12-02-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I returned an item to retailer in the UK the package has gone missing. I usually always insure items but on this occasion I sent it standard mail as I wasn't thinking at the time.

Is the norm now sending a package standard by standard mail the same as gifting the item to a perfect stranger. Should they suggest insuring all items as standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

riddles wrote: »
    I returned an item to retailer in the UK the package has gone missing. I usually always insure items but on this occasion I sent it standard mail as I wasn't thinking at the time.

Is the norm now sending a package standard by standard mail the same as gifting the item to a perfect stranger. Should they suggest insuring all items as standard?

Did you get a tracking number and receipt? Eg for Asos if you use returnmyshopping via an post it's free tracked returns. Then you send a copy of the receipt to retailer and they'll refund you if parcel missing. I've done it many times. You just need proof of return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

I have a receipt alright - manmdirect is the company. I did contact them and they confirmed they hadn't received it and they could not do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Unfortunately nothing you can do about it. I have had 3 parcels go missing with An Post over the years, all sent standard post and there’s zero recourse with An Post. They clearly have dodgey staff that see packages which are not bring tracked and they know there’s no way of tracing where it went missing. Thieving bastards.

However if you item is going to the UK then give it another few days as Royal Mail are notoriously slow, 2nd class post can take two weeks to arrive so give it another few days and check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

how do you know it went missing with an post?

The Royal mail in the UK has a notorious reputation for items going missing. Last year complaints on missing parcels at Royal Mail exceeded 1,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

silver2020 wrote: »
    how do you know it went missing with an post?

The Royal mail in the UK has a notorious reputation for items going missing. Last year complaints on missing parcels at Royal Mail exceeded 1,000,000.

I can confirm this. Having worked for an online retailer based in the UK market place, RM often lost parcels or delivered them to a different house/business a couple of minutes away. When I was working in the Irish market place I cannot recall An Post loosing any parcels (I am sure they did).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

I have to correct my original post my package was received today. Posted on the 29.1.2020 received on the 24.02.2020. Apologies to An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You posted it a week after you posted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

those dates dont add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I take it the poster meant 29/01/20.

Advertisement