Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9 seater insurance, private use only

Options
  • 12-04-2021 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Social, Domestic and Private insurance quote for a 2018 long-wheel base 9-seater VW Shuttle but not having much luck and would appreciate any advice on where to look next. I'm hoping to buy the vehicle to use to cart outdoor sports gear around Ireland for a still growing family! It's an original Irish market vehicle without modifications.

I have a full clean Irish licence with >10yrs NCB, no points/convictions. My OH will be a named driver and has own vehicle, full Irish licence, >10yrs NCB, no points/convictions.

I have tried several brokers, who have to manually enter the details, and initially had a quote from both liberty and allianz, but both companies have subsequently come back to brokers and declined to cover. I also tried liberty direct, who won't quote, and allianz said they will ask underwriting to have a look and get back to me (waiting 3days now...). I'm also waiting for return call from AXA underwriting.

I have tried calling taxi insurance brokers to see if they have any other advice regarding insurance companies, but all have come back with liberty/allianz/axa.

If it made quotes easier, I could potentially reduce to an 8-seater by replacing the existing 2-person front passenger seat, but may run into hassle due to modification from the original.

Thank you for any pointers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In driving licence classes, passengers are counted separate from the driver e.g. a regular class 'C' driving licence covers you to drive a vehicle which is 'designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver'.

https://www.ndls.ie/about/licence-categories-and-codes.html#licence-categories

I wonder is it possible that when you say that you're looking for a quote for a '9 seater' that the insurance companies think that you have a vehicle which requires a PSV Licence? And that's why you're getting refused? Maybe you need to emphasise that the vehicle can carry 8 passengers. Plus the driver.

Lots of large families and religious communities drive 1+8 vehicles on an ordinary licence so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

AXA. I’ve been in this situation. I read the heading, not your post.

Advertisement