Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can heat pump dryers work in the shed in Ireland?

• 04-04-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

hi!
    We are moving into a new house and are looking to buy a tumble dryer. It seems that heat pump dryer is the most energy efficient vs vent or condensor, but it does not run efficiently when it is cold outside.
    the house we are moving into has an open-ish shed in the back garden where the current owner kept their washer and dryer, so we are planning to do the same.
    it seems that HP dryers don't work well near freezing. another article said it is inefficient below 10*C.
    but HP dryers are still sold a lot in Ireland and although I know some buyers would use them inside the house, I couldn't figure out if there were buyers who've used it outside the house and how was their experience - did it take longer? did it not dry? did it not run? did it go bad?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

I was looking into buying dryers lately and decided heat pump was definitely not for me based on the info from the sales assistant, they draw in the heat from the surrounding air to dry the clothes rather than heat their own so as I was going to have it in a fairly cold utility room it would take ages to dry stuff. They said they would work best in a warmish or at least normal temp room rather than a cold room.

If you were putting it outside then I imagine for the bulk of the year the problem would be the same if it was a cold shed, when the weather is like today and warm enough to drive up the temp of the shed you don't need a dryer as you could hang them out.

I can't imagine they are a good choice for an outside location.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

phormium wrote: »
    I was looking into buying dryers lately and decided heat pump was definitely not for me based on the info from the sales assistant, they draw in the heat from the surrounding air to dry the clothes rather than heat their own so as I was going to have it in a fairly cold utility room it would take ages to dry stuff. They said they would work best in a warmish or at least normal temp room rather than a cold room.

If you were putting it outside then I imagine for the bulk of the year the problem would be the same if it was a cold shed, when the weather is like today and warm enough to drive up the temp of the shed you don't need a dryer as you could hang them out.

I can't imagine they are a good choice for an outside location.

thanks! glad to hear about your experience and your convo with the salesperson

Advertisement