Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultralight Backpack

Options
  • 31-01-2021 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just looking for some recommendations on ultralight backpacks. Are they worth it? Looking at getting some new gear for when we're allowed out again. TIA...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is this for fishing, hiking, backpacking, or what will you be using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

hmmm wrote: »
    Is this for fishing, hiking, backpacking, or what will you be using it for?

Mainly for hiking and camping over a number of days. I have a Vango Contour 60 the last few years and it's on the bulkier side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

what size? OMM for lightweight speed. Some great options from raidlight too. But we're talking proper speedy lightweight

Enduro wrote: »
    what size? OMM for lightweight speed. Some great options from raidlight too. But we're talking proper speedy lightweight

Thanks I'll have a look there. Not too sure on the size but I'd imagine I'd need something around the 40l minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've a few Osprey packs which are very lightweight, but you pay for the lightness with certain features - for example the hip belts on the Ospreys I have are narrower and less supportive than my Deuters, and the pack in general is less stiff so things tend to flop around. For a dayhike I'd grab the lighter bag, but for anything more intensive (e.g. a multi-day trip) I'm more likely to go with the slightly heavier Deuter. I've had no problems with durability on either, so it's just a comfort factor. In general the lighter anything is the more I'm inclined to use it.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I've a few Osprey packs which are very lightweight, but you pay for the lightness with certain features - for example the hip belts on the Ospreys I have are narrower and less supportive than my Deuters, and the pack in general is less stiff so things tend to flop around. For a dayhike I'd grab the lighter bag, but for anything more intensive (e.g. a multi-day trip) I'm more likely to go with the slightly heavier Deuter. I've had no problems with durability on either, so it's just a comfort factor. In general the lighter anything is the more I'm inclined to use it.

I've had a look at a few ospreys and they look good. I've seen a few of the ultralight packs from certain american companies and I just don't think you can justify the price of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

I've had a look at a few ospreys and they look good. I've seen a few of the ultralight packs from certain american companies and I just don't think you can justify the price of them.

Raidlight 18lt running/backpack available on Sportspursuit at approx 75 euro.Seems great value..

I have only one Osprey backpack for travelling, great build and quality but I find the empty weight heavy..Just my personal opinion..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Try and possibly wear a good quality rucksack. I have both Osprey Talon 33 and Granite Gear Crown 2 (65 litre), both are really comfortable when wearing and loaded.

The weight of the rucksack would not be an issue really if it sits correctly on your hips and/or back, straps utilised correctly. The design and correct sizing would be more important to me, assuming it's a decent brand.

A good one and you'll not realise what weight you're carrying.

Advertisement