Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://time.com/5930592/everyone-thinks-im-a-terrorist-capitol-riot-fuels-calls-for-domestic-war-on-terror/

I’ve said it here before if Trump was smart he should start a magachurch, he’d take in millions and have a captive audience who adores him, his followers already exhibit signs of cult worship.
    You gotta sin to be saved.

I saw the light, and God forgave me, and he can forgive you too....

My only sin was trying to do too much for you

Lock him up. Throw away the key. And weld the door shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Hockney wrote: »
    Axios are doing a very interesting series of reports called "How It Happened: Trump's Last Stand".

They seem to have gotten sources from inside the White House relaying back actual quotes from the Admin, as the whole thing played out beginning on election night to the final days of the presidency.

If it can be believed, it's a fascinating insight into how the admin operate in private, some belters of quotes from Trump, Rudy etc etc in there.

Episode 1: A premeditated lie lit the fire
    Episode 2: Barbarians at the Oval
    Episode 3: Descent into madness

New episodes will appear on this page as they're released:

https://www.axios.com/off-the-rails-episodes-cf6da824-83ac-45a6-a33c-ed8b00094e39.html

Can't wait for the episode where he's told he's been banned from Twitter!

Mark Meadows is the source would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭amandstu

You gotta sin to be saved.

I saw the light, and God forgave me, and he can forgive you too....

My only sin was trying to do too much for you

Lock him up. Throw away the key. And weld the door shut.
    And take away his Raquel Welsh posters:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

What are you all going to moan about when trump is out of office?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Plenty of other POS human beings in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

One thing really annoys me about all this. It's the lack of blame being steered towards social media companies for their alogithirms filling these idiots brains full of **** and reinforcing their skewed beliefs.

I don't blame social media. I don't think they ever set out to achieve anything the likes of what we've seen. Perhaps they should do more, but they're not the cause

Every solution brings its own problems. In this case, the solution social media provided brought its own problem of this sort of shit

Netflix's Social Dilemma did a great job of explaining this. The algorithms were intended to better enable targeted advertising and more relevant content for users, but the unintended side effect of all of this was providing echo chambers for people who wanted to proliferate their own agenda to the un educated and un informed, and rednecks in particular.

One quote that sticks out for me is:
    If everyone is entitled to their own facts, there really is no need for compromise
    It's scary how true this is currently with the trumpism that exists.

It no longer matters what the truth is. If you don't like someones set of facts, truths or reality, you can claim "fake news" and have an "alternative" set of facts to suit your own agenda.

I think we have all seen where that leads us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,631 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When Reality TV leaves politics, I will still be bemoaning reality TV.

I told everyone it would ruin society one day I just had nooooo idea exactly how much damage it would cause. Didn't call that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

listermint wrote: »
    I think we've reached a peak , Manic.
    .you are comparing Q Anon with Sinn Fein.

Il say no more. Nothing really needs to be said

Most unhinged comparison I have ever seen. At least I got a laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭dogbert27

One thing really annoys me about all this. It's the lack of blame being steered towards social media companies for their alogithirms filling these idiots brains full of **** and reinforcing their skewed beliefs.

Make no mistake, the riotors are people who are unable to make objective balanced assessments from what they are consuming online. They are a very targetable cohort.

Facebook/Twitter et Al seem to have got away scot free. I'm hoping the Biden Admin force Facebook to break up once and for all.

It's interesting that since Trump's suspension there is a 73% drop in trending of voter fraud on twitter. Cut the head off the snake...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9161221/Misinformation-election-fraud-plummeted-73-percent-week-Twitter-banned-Trump.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How many people have those associated with Q-Anon blown up?

If your point is that they are not particularly comparable, I agree with you. If the point is that politicians should be considered in light of their connections to 'threat of terror', then there's an obvious comparison. SF haven't always been the sweet, peaceful party they've been the last two decades, yet they were still running in elections and in some cases, winning.

Still going are you ?qanon are less than a few years old. They've killed one only two weeks ago in the centre of Nashville. Or shall we quickly brush that under the carpet.

The US is fast on a failed course if people like yourself who I'd argue are quite intelligent and middle of the road , start to excuse a movement like Q Anon as being a normal part of political discourse.

Your deflection on to Sinn Fein in Ireland is in short , gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The myriad of little sh1tlers he has emboldened and unleashed upon the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Looking forward to the closure of this thread very very soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the closure of this thread very very soon :D

Well, its title is 'Donald Trump discussion thread'. I could be completely wrong but I'm guessing The Donald will be the subject of much discussion in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

I'm crossing my fingers that you're indeed completely wrong and he fades into obscurity. Having said that, it will still be a while before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have to stay, what a classless pairing Trump and Melania are.

No attempt to even pretend that they are welcoming the Bidens. The stark contrast to how the Obamas, and the Clintons, acted in 2017 for Trumps inauguration and how the Trumps are acting is not a surprise but still should be deeply embarrassing for anyone that supports Trump.

And we had one poster saying yesterday that nothing phases Trump! The man can't even get himself to welcome the new POTUS.

I know there are a lot more serious things that Trump has done, but to me this is so below the line.

And Melania is just as complicit. If there was anyone still thinking that Trump was fit for office, this should be more than enough to show that the man is incapable of leadership.

And the fact that the GOP has not raised one word in complaint about it shows the shallowness of their calls for unity. If they are interested in healing and moving forward, then they should be demanding that Trump fulfil is responsibilities and helps with the smooth transfer of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Leroy42 wrote: »

No attempt to even pretend that they are welcoming the Bidens. The stark contrast to how the Obamas, and the Clintons, acted in 2017 for Trumps inauguration and how the Trumps are acting is not a surprise but still should be deeply embarrassing for anyone that supports Trump.

And we had one poster saying yesterday that nothing phases Trump! The man can't even get himself to welcome the new POTUS.

I know there are a lot more serious things that Trump has done, but to me this is so below the line.

And Melania is just as complicit. If there was anyone still thinking that Trump was fit for office, this should be more than enough to show that the man is incapable of leadership.

And the fact that the GOP has not raised one word in complaint about it shows the shallowness of their calls for unity. If they are interested in healing and moving forward, then they should be demanding that Trump fulfil is responsibilities and helps with the smooth transfer of power.

Completely agree.

I think what the last four years have shown without a shred of argument is that American politics is absolutely cancerous. Hideous.

Trump was, in some way, the inevitable result. A giant man-child, entitled, grossly inflated ego, fantasies of being a big dog alpha, all of which which contrasts wonderfully with his own lack of strength, competence and actual achievement.

Orange tan. $70k a year hair. Gold palaces. What a silly, laughable person to be given the keys to the kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

No attempt to even pretend that they are welcoming the Bidens.

I think shallowness is not the word I would use. It’s hypocrisy and it is unfortunately rife within the Republican Party and will continue to be long after Trump has ceased to be in the Oval Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I think we all learned that Melania is also a despicable human being when she worn that infamous “I just don’t care, do you?” jacket around the time Trumps decided that separating kids from their parents and locking them up in cages was a great idea.

Aside this was the last time I spoke to a grandparent in Florida apparently child abuse was ok with him “because it’s the parents choice” the irony of said grandparent being an immigrant to US decades before was obviously forgotten

She was questionable as soon as she married him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Were it a more normal transition I would agree, but given Biden's many years at the White House already, and the bad blood between him and Trump, I imagine that everyone involved is glad that Trump won't be hanging around. He certainly wouldn't welcome the Bidens with any good grace, so better off not having him there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Spot on. It’s not like every outgoing president and incoming president have liked each other but all of them in modern times have done the right thing.

Well the narrative was that poor Melania was lonely and wasn’t as bad as her husband, but she’s just as petty and dislikable as he is. I feel sorry for baron actually.

I know it’s customary for a incoming president to get a tour of the White House but joe Biden and his family know the place well. I’d love if instead of the head usher being there tomorrow it had been bush 43,Clinton, and Obama standing at the entrance to welcome Biden. I know that isn’t happening but it would have just further highlighted the pettiness of the trumps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Melania had a PR open goal really; we all knew Trump, nothing really surprised in hindsight in terms of his behaviour. He was vulgar and an obscenity to democratic normality but he was the known quantity. All Mrs. Trump had to do was present the warm, empathic counterbalance to her husband, then sit back and enjoy the plaudits or puff-pieces. The "be best" campaign was a shaky start to say the least, but it went downhill from there. Her inability to even present a facade of civility or warmth spoke - and continues to speak - volumes to her own character. You could certainly well believe the rumour she was in floods of tears the night of victory in '16, but her sulking across the 4 subsequent years showed she was well suited to her husband

Yeah I was of the mind that Melania would be high tailing it to the divorce courts as soon as they were out of office but it looks like she knows which side her bread is buttered.

She'll wait and see which way the wind is blowing for Trump in terms of debts being called in and charges being brought against him before she'll hit the high road with divorce.

She must know by now though that she has no chance of a life after Trump in terms of tv, modelling, etc. as it's clear she has no personality. The only way for her to stay in any way relevant now is to stay on the Trump train until the tracks run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

“President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.”

Still feels like I'm in some bad Disney movie where a petulant 10 year old wakes up and he's president

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Yeah I was of the mind that Melania would be high tailing it to the divorce courts as soon as they were out of office but it looks like she knows which side her bread is buttered.

She'll wait and see which way the wind is blowing for Trump in terms of debts being called in and charges being brought against him before she'll hit the high road with divorce.

She must know by now though that she has no chance of a life after Trump in terms of tv, modelling, etc. as it's clear she has no personality. The only way for her to stay in any way relevant now is to stay on the Trump train until the tracks run out.

Her asking to see Obama's birth cert to assure herself that he was born in the U.S spoke volumes of her attitude as the wife of President Trump and a naturalized U.S citizen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    Melania had a PR open goal really; we all knew Trump, nothing really surprised in hindsight in terms of his behaviour. He was vulgar and an obscenity to democratic normality but he was the known quantity. All Mrs. Trump had to do was present the warm, empathic counterbalance to her husband, then sit back and enjoy the plaudits or puff-pieces. The "be best" campaign was a shaky start to say the least, but it went downhill from there. Her inability to even present a facade of civility or warmth spoke - and continues to speak - volumes to her own character. You could certainly well believe the rumour she was in floods of tears the night of victory in '16, but her sulking across the 4 subsequent years showed she was well suited to her husband

There's a real whiff of some sort of a medieval marriage there where she just wants a certain lifestyle and once she has that then it doesn't matter to her what her husband gets up to. I haven't heard of her ever being warm. Michael Wolff in his first book, Fire & Fury did report her being despondent when Trump won the election in 2016 which makes sense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    “President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.”

Still feels like I'm in some bad Disney movie where a petulant 10 year old wakes up and he's president
    They've regurgitated that drivel sixteen times by my count. Before that, they had the holiday season version: "During the Holiday season, President Trump will continue to work tirelessly for the American People. His schedule includes many meetings and calls". Kayleigh McEnany's job every day was to cut and paste that into the press release and then go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Todays decision by Trump to rescind his own entry ban on flights from most European countries and Brazil, where the different strains of Covid-19 are in population free flow, is the ultimate in rear-orifice deeds. There seems to be no logic in opening the U.S air travel borders right at this moment in time, unless some-one in the U.S can guide me to changing my mind. With Joe Biden's statement that he will block Trump's deed tomorrow after being sworn in, the U.S might be saved from another vindictive act by Trump against it's population if the federal agencies controlling access to the U.S at airport borders will apply the covid-19 restrictions until things become clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aloyisious wrote: »
    Todays decision by Trump to rescind his own entry ban on flights from most European countries and Brazil, where the different strains of Covid-19 are in population free flow, is the ultimate in rear-orifice deeds. There seems to be no logic in opening the U.S air travel borders right at this moment in time, unless some-one in the U.S can guide me to changing my mind. With Joe Biden's statement that he will block Trump's deed tomorrow after being sworn in, the U.S might be saved from another vindictive act by Trump against it's population if the federal agencies controlling access to the U.S at airport borders will apply the covid-19 restrictions until things become clearer.

I kinda get the feeling this was just an act - both to say “things are fine!” before leaving, and to get the hopes of a lot of people up, so that Biden has to be the authoritarian by blocking it as his first move.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I kinda get the feeling this was just an act - both to say “things are fine!” before leaving, and to get the hopes of a lot of people up, so that Biden has to be the authoritarian by blocking it as his first move.

Yeah it's just sxxt stirring. No airlines would be ready within 24 hours to start flights again and with Biden already saying he will reverse it immediately it's not worth the risk or hassle of trying to sell tickets and then having to give refunds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What is this noise about Trump pardoning Joe Exotic from Tiger King??
    Is it false or can it be expected???

Advertisement