Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildlife Ranger jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Itsawelsummer

Has anyone heard anything from Pas about this post since the closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SavageSpuds

Not a tap. 6 weeks and counting since applying... starting to wonder if the job even exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Out of interest, what qualifications or training would you need for a job like this

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevespring

There's been a lot of movement around NPWS lately, so there are definitely jobs available. Might be a similar amount taken on as the last intake - 20ish over the next couple of years. There's been a good amount of interest this time around but not as much as there was in 2016.

PAS have a very poor reputation so don't be putting too much stock on not hearing anything yet. They will get around to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Out of interest, what qualifications or training would you need for a job like this

i suppose a qualification in biology or maybe horticulture or anything nature related,

don't know tbh, like to know myself

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    i suppose a qualification in biology or maybe horticulture or anything nature related,

don't know tbh, like to know myself

Direct quote from the information booklet: 'Essential: candidates must have 1) relevant experience* in wildlife management or nature conservation. * - experience can come from current or previous job role, your education (including relevant experience gained on work placement) or other experience you may have including voluntary work. 2) possess a satisfactory knowledge and keen interest in wildlife or nature conservation.

Desirable: a biology or other related science degree.'

So degree in science isn't essential but would be a big plus...

Received a message as any one who applied would have that they are only getting round to shortlisting candidates from Monday... so we'll be waiting another while before we get any news back but least we know they're doing something!

are these vacancies nationwide? and do applicants have a choice in where they are based?

Yes they are nationwide, you're asked to specify three counties of preference in the application ranked first, second and third.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevespring

The shortlist for interviews has been completed.

Rumours of a very BIG recruitment of rangers to take place following the interviews. Interesting times ahead but I have no idea where the new rangers are going to be deployed if the numbers i hear are correct. Besides the obvious need for vacant ranger areas to be filled, if they start splitting existing ranger areas there will be a lot unhappy NPWS staff.

Any one called for interview make sure you do a good interview as you might have a very good chance of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

The shortlist for interviews has been completed.

Rumours of a very BIG recruitment of rangers to take place following the interviews. Interesting times ahead but I have no idea where the new rangers are going to be deployed if the numbers i hear are correct. Besides the obvious need for vacant ranger areas to be filled, if they start splitting existing ranger areas there will be a lot unhappy NPWS staff.

Any one called for interview make sure you do a good interview as you might have a very good chance of getting a job.

I don't really get the point about unhappy NPWS with increased staff to be honest- there is one ranger for my county at the moment so surely a second one would make the job more effective and satisfying for both if they aren't permanently overwhelmed by workload?

• Advertisement

will these roles have anything to do with an coilte? or is it completely separate from them?

*btw - i suppose having a drivers licence would be a big plus

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

If I remember correctly a full drivers license was mandatory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

will these roles have anything to do with an coilte? or is it completely separate from them?

Completely seperate from Coillte.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cbsam74

Just wondering did anyone who applied for the post get shortlisted or called for interview yet

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone got shortlisted or had interview for conservation/wildlife ranger posts with Publicjobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Itsawelsummer

cbsam74 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone got shortlisted or had interview for conservation/wildlife ranger posts with Publicjobs

I was placed on a reserve list for interviews, so missed out in been shortlisted but still could be called. (very unlikely to be called I imagine)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Camabu

The willingness to except low pay, long hours and no resources are the main criteria - A quote given to me by a Wildlife Ranger Friend of 20+ years when asked what are the necessary traits to get a job as an NPWS Conservation Ranger. As an aside he loved his job.

Just wondering did anyone who applied for the post get shortlisted or called for interview yet

I got a message on my public jobs account at the end of March to say that I was being put on a panel and would not be invited for interview at this time. I would love to hear from anyone who actually did get an interview to hear how it went!

is investigating illegal dumping part of the remit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that's the council's job, is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

i think that's the council's job, is it not?

Generally yes, if on public land or visible from a public place the council's job is to investigate it- I guess if dumping occurs within a national park the ranger might need to be more directly involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After the recent Killarney National Park fires, a statement was issued mentioning they had appointed 50 more Rangers.

Just got word that I am placed no1 on the panel for my location preference. Emailed PAS about upcoming posts and they told me that no posts are currently available throughout the country- no recruitment has taken place yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rainbow2000

Hi Guys. I had an interview for this in April 2021 and have been placed on the panel at No.7. Not sure how many jobs are going or where, although there is rumoured to be 50 across the country which is great as more rangers are needed for sure. The interview was on Zoom and was actually pretty nice. A representative from PAS, A Wildlife Officer and a lady from the department of finance. They really put me at ease. No very technical questions, just explaining your application form in more detail. Asked about any volunteer work and experience surveying. I work in consultancy and asked about different mitigation measures I might recommend for a windfarm proposal on blogland for example. Anyways if anyone knows the number of rangers being recruited and in what location I would love to know!

Just got word that I am placed no1 on the panel for my location preference. Emailed PAS about upcoming posts and they told me that no posts are currently available throughout the country- no recruitment has taken place yet

Congrats hope you hear back soon. Its a ridiculously slow processes... a waiting game now!

Congrats hope you hear back soon. Its a ridiculously slow processes... a waiting game now!

I do hope we get some luck on our locations.. fingers crossed. I know there is a big push on increasing the numbers as some rangers have 3 to 4 counties to look after.

I do hope we get some luck on our locations.. fingers crossed. I know there is a big push on increasing the numbers as some rangers have 3 to 4 counties to look after.

Hopefully! If its true that they will recruit 50 rangers then that averages at around 12 per division the way I see it. I am guessing Kerry, Mayo, Galway Leitrim and Donegal will be the areas where the most are recruited as a lot of ground to cover and due to the increasing issues such as wildfires etc. in these areas - but I could be wrong! I am sure they will recruit at least 1 per county anyways so I'd say you will get the call soon!

Hopefully! If its true that they will recruit 50 rangers then that averages at around 12 per division the way I see it. I am guessing Kerry, Mayo, Galway Leitrim and Donegal will be the areas where the most are recruited as a lot of ground to cover and due to the increasing issues such as wildfires etc. in these areas - but I could be wrong! I am sure they will recruit at least 1 per county anyways so I'd say you will get the call soon!

Just found out that they are hoping to recruit 60-62.

Just found out that they are hoping to recruit 60-62.

I contacted the HR section in the department of heritage and they said offers should be made by PAS to successful candidates "in due course". I asked about exact numbers and locations but no response. It's very difficult to get a direct answer on anything! Am curious to know the timeline to recruit all these rangers. I am assuming it will be over the panel lifetime - 2 years.

• Advertisement

I contacted the HR section in the department of heritage and they said offers should be made by PAS to successful candidates "in due course". I asked about exact numbers and locations but no response. It's very difficult to get a direct answer on anything! Am curious to know the timeline to recruit all these rangers. I am assuming it will be over the panel lifetime - 2 years.

I do hope we are included. The panel lasts for 18 months approx. Did you select many locations.

Advertisement