Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Commuter Rail: Galway-Athenry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Maybe the easiest option is a shuttle bus service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭serfboard

The car park being oversubscribed is not automatically a mark of success, if those people are driving from beyond the Oranmore/Roscam area to get the train then you are right, but if a large proportion of them are coming from Oranmore/Roscam then it indicates that the station is not serving those towns properly, which it would if people in those towns could easily and safely walk/cycle to the station.

Every person walking to the station from Oranmore is another space available in the car park for someone wanting to use the park and ride facilities. If all those cars belong to people in what should be 'easy walking/cycling distance' then it means others driving from further away either wont get a space if they try, or will just drive into town as they know there wont be a space.
    I don't disagree with what you say but consider the trade-offs. Someone says to you to build a Park n' Ride in Oranmore. I'd bet that between CPOs and everything else (objections, etc.), the quickest, cheapest and easiest location you would find would be the one where the station is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what you say but consider the trade-offs. Someone says to you to build a Park n' Ride in Oranmore. I'd bet that between CPOs and everything else (objections, etc.), the quickest, cheapest and easiest location you would find would be the one where the station is now.

Looking at the site of the old station, its not exactly backing on to a lot of houses etc, negotiating for space with the business park would be considerably simpler than a host of house owners. That puts the station in walking distance of Oranmore itself and in the middle of the Business park. If its to be a commuter line proper Roscam definitely looks like it would do for a station also, its clear the current station is exactly as claimed, covering Oranmore and Roscam at once, and failing to adequately serve either.

EDIT: Relocating to the old station position would actually stop people driving through Oranmore to reach the station as its right beside a junction on the N67... the current station is only beside an overbridge. the more I look at the location the more it seems like a no brainer to move it back to where it was...

Looking at the site of the old station, its not exactly backing on to a lot of houses etc, negotiating for space with the business park would be considerably simpler than a host of house owners.
    Simpler? Maybe, maybe not. Don't underestimate the recalcitrance of some business owners. Cheaper? I wouldn't be sure. The land take for the Park n' Ride is considerable. Quicker? I don't think so.

As I say, any brief to build a train station to serve as a Park n' Ride in the Oranmore area, and to do it within time and budgetary constraints, would arrive at the location where it is now.

the more I look at the location the more it seems like a no brainer to move it back to where it was...
    Whether you think that or not is academic, because it ain't moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

AngryLips wrote: »
    Maybe the easiest option is a shuttle bus service

with a proper bicycle/walking path connecting all three together with the village and industrial park expanding to fill the green spaces in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I not questioning if the station is used or not but its highly likely not reaching it's full potential.

Not necessarily, the original station land is owned by IE and it's a relatively small park and ride. The yard would offer the same if not more parking than the current. I think the yard in question could possibly be in IE ownership. There is also land on the other side too. Most park and rides are located next too or as close as possible to major roads or motorways not 4 or 5 kilometers away while diverting traffic through built up areas.

Whether you think that or not is academic, because it ain't moving.

I mean, it may not be moving in the immediate plans, but if there were to be a genuine review of optimising Galway commuter rail, with the funding breakdown that the Greens negotiated providing a bit of ambition, and a focus on maximising foot/bike/pt links to stations I don't see why it wouldn't at least be considered...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I mean, it may not be moving in the immediate plans, but if there were to be a genuine review of optimising Galway commuter rail, with the funding breakdown that the Greens negotiated providing a bit of ambition, and a focus on maximising foot/bike/pt links to stations I don't see why it wouldn't at least be considered...

Well presumably the provision of a passing loop (which incidentally will be longer than just necessary for the station which would presumably account for some of the higher than expected cost) includes another platform with a footbridge and lifts - the notion of the station then being relocated is really fanciful, given the cost of providing lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is it possible that the current station was located there based on a longer term plan of eventually having it as one of many stops on an electrified commuter service? It is half way between the R381, where a new Oranmore station could be added, and Doughiska Road where a Roscam station could be located.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Is it possible that the current station was located there based on a longer term plan of eventually having it as one of many stops on an electrified commuter service? It is half way between the R381, where a new Oranmore station could be added, and Doughiska Road where a Roscam station could be located.

I think that falls at the first hurdle of there being a 'longer term plan' for any rail infrastructure in Ireland...

I think that falls at the first hurdle of there being a 'longer term plan' for any rail infrastructure in Ireland...

That’s a bit unfair - they’re effectively putting in a dynamic loop at Oranmore, which is better than a standard passing loop as it’s longer and allows trains to pass while on the move.

Elsewhere on the network, level crossings are currently being eliminated and automated southwest of Limerick Junction on the Dublin-Cork line and the Dublin-Cork line is now about to start being fully relaid (last time was in the late 1970s) to deliver better line speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well presumably the provision of a passing loop (which incidentally will be longer than just necessary for the station which would presumably account for some of the higher than expected cost) includes another platform with a footbridge and lifts - the notion of the station then being relocated is really fanciful, given the cost of providing lifts.

Given that the current station is elevated above the car park, and the line is on an embankment, might the access to the second platform be a tunnel instead of a bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

LXFlyer wrote: »
    they’re effectively putting in a dynamic loop at Oranmore, which is better than a standard passing loop

Do you have any link with the details on that? I'd assume the passing part would stay on the straight, and the stopping one would curve over?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Geuze wrote: »
    Given that the current station is elevated above the car park, and the line is on an embankment, might the access to the second platform be a tunnel instead of a bridge?

Have a look at Grand Canal Dock - the station is built way above street level, and yet they still have a bridge to get from one platform to the other. Not just that, but they have since built a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Have a look at Grand Canal Dock
    That station always bugged me the most, because I used to work on Grand Canal Quay, and the only way to get there was to walk all the way around the block, when we were literally within touching distance. It's something I noticed when I was out in Frankfurt, they seem to allow access to stations from all corners (at least on the S-Bhan that I used)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Rulmeq wrote: »
    That station always bugged me the most, because I used to work on Grand Canal Quay, and the only way to get there was to walk all the way around the block, when we were literally within touching distance. It's something I noticed when I was out in Frankfurt, they seem to allow access to stations from all corners (at least on the S-Bhan that I used)

I think it is time that the Dart copied the Swiss and Italians and put the Revenue Protection efforts into inspectors on trains - certainly off peak. Only have ticket barriers at busy stations, and inspectors on at least 10% of trains, or stations. Make it so the chance of being caught is too high to chance.

I heard of a case in Switzerland where a guy ran for a train and bought his ticket just as he got on - but the delay on posting the payment meant it had not got through the system when the inspector checked his ticket a few minutes after he got on and he got a heavy fine even though he had paid. No excuse - no ticket then you get a heavy fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think it is time that the Dart copied the Swiss and Italians and put the Revenue Protection efforts into inspectors on trains - certainly off peak. Only have ticket barriers at busy stations, and inspectors on at least 10% of trains, or stations. Make it so the chance of being caught is too high to chance.

I heard of a case in Switzerland where a guy ran for a train and bought his ticket just as he got on - but the delay on posting the payment meant it had not got through the system when the inspector checked his ticket a few minutes after he got on and he got a heavy fine even though he had paid. No excuse - no ticket then you get a heavy fine.

That must have been several years ago as buying a ticket for public transport in Switzerland is as easy as opening the SBB app and swiping to start the EasyRide. The app locates where you are and when you get to your destination, slide the other way to turn off EasyRide. It then calculates for you the best fare, and if you use it multiple times in a day, you get the day ticket rate rather than paying for each journey individually.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    That must have been several years ago as buying a ticket for public transport in Switzerland is as easy as opening the SBB app and swiping to start the EasyRide. The app locates where you are and when you get to your destination, slide the other way to turn off EasyRide. It then calculates for you the best fare, and if you use it multiple times in a day, you get the day ticket rate rather than paying for each journey individually.

Maybe, but if you run for the train and are immediately asked for your ticket before you can even reach for your phone you get wacked with a fine. They are very strict.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That’s the type of stringent application of the law that the Swiss agree with but would never fly in Ireland.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    That’s the type of stringent application of the law that the Swiss agree with but would never fly in Ireland.

I was over there and thought my ticket was valid when it was not - I went much further than the ticket allowed. Fortunately no ticket inspector.

We need proper revenue protection here - not necessarily as harsh as continental railways do it, but at least check tickets more often.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It’d need bouncers to back up the checkers considering the responses some members of the public give when asked for tickets.

spacetweek wrote: »
    It’d need bouncers to back up the checkers considering the responses some members of the public give when asked for tickets.

They use transport police in the UK. The current RP crowd work in teams - probably for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Wasn't there talk about introducing transport police here nearly a year ago now? Or was that just political kite flying?

Wasn't there talk about introducing transport police here nearly a year ago now? Or was that just political kite flying?

Only by the transport worker unions - nothing has come of it.

There are transport police here.

The Dublin Airport have police, as does Dun Laoghaire Port. I do not know if other airports or ports do, but I imagine some do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Port. But those harbour police forces are tiny, comically so - single digits of officers each.

L1011 wrote: »
    Dublin Port. But those harbour police forces are tiny, comically so - single digits of officers each.

They don't exist anymore. Its a private company doing that now.

IE 222 wrote: »
    They don't exist anymore. Its a private company doing that now.

So they are just security - no police authority.

• Advertisement

So they are just security - no police authority.

Pretty much although I think legally "1 Port Police" officer needs to remain due to the bye-laws.

They paid them all off handsomely years ago. Can't remember the amount but it was ridiculously high.

Advertisement