Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Summer Visitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Swallows arrived on the 9th.
    Cuckoo yesterday evening.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

feartuath wrote: »
    Swallows arrived on the 9th.
    Cuckoo yesterday evening.
    Whereabouts are you?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cloud cuckoo-land! :D

(Only messing, I'm really envious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

No sign of our Swallows arriving this year, so far. We normally have three or four pairs nesting by now.

I'm well aware of the disaster that occurred in Greece this year. I hope ours are just late arriving and not victims of the northerly winds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Cuckoo made it to East Galway early yesterday, 16th.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

2 House Martins flying around my area Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cuckoo made it to East Galway early yesterday, 16th.....

Lucky to hear the cuckoo,last heard it in Cloughduv Co Cork 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Lucky to hear the cuckoo,last heard it in Cloughduv Co Cork 15 years ago

Still lots around here, northwest end of Lough Derg. Last year, best I heard was 5 calling simultaneously.....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

First swallows seen in county Dublin (Dublin hills), on 6th April, earlier than last year, not so many though about compared to other years

I’ve been ‘hearing out’ for the cuckoo but nothing yet, they seem to be scarce the last few years where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Cuckoo arrived here in the hills of south Kerry last Tuesday 13th, the house martins have a double nest built on the top of the gable over a week now.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Saw the first swallow during the week and heard the cuckoo this morning. Spring has sprung in Sligo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

First Swallow sighting today in Athlone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spotted today in north county dublin. had to drop food out for herself's horse which we only do every fortnight or so at the moment, so no idea when they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just heard the first cuckoo of the year in central Mayo. A few willow warblers singing about the place also and a blackcap singing it's heart out on a favoured branch of a larch tree down the back of the garden. Blue skies and a real spring chorus if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Whereabouts are you?

Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Swallows arrived here in Wexford yesterday. That's the latest they've arrived in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Cuckoo started singing in this part of West Cork yesterday. A bit later than usual.

Grasshopper Warblers too since Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

whyulittle wrote: »
    First Swallow sighting today in Athlone.

Re Athlone, lots around curraghboy past few days also and spotted two around summerhill about a week ago. Mine was late arriving but finally spotted one yesterday and he's taken to sleeping in the shed, hopfully they will nest there again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

First swallows back in the north west of Donegal today!So lovely to see them back!

Re swallows, Wouldn’t it be lovely if there was some kind of ‘tracker camera’ that followed their journey to us and a live map of their arrival? Maybe it exists already but I don’t know of if?

• Advertisement

Cuckoo started singing in this part of West Cork yesterday. A bit later than usual.

Grasshopper Warblers too since Sunday.

Love this article fro the Irish Times.

“Irish tradition has it that the last two weeks of April and early days of May often bring a short snap of unseasonably cold weather, and since this is the period during which the cuckoo is heard for the first time, our forefathers called such a cold snap Scairbhin na gCuach. "Scairbhin na gCuach, garbh's fuar," they used to mutter to each other: "the cuckoo spell is blustery and cold".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/listening-for-the-cuckoo-1.143830

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Love this article fro the Irish Times.

“Irish tradition has it that the last two weeks of April and early days of May often bring a short snap of unseasonably cold weather, and since this is the period during which the cuckoo is heard for the first time, our forefathers called such a cold snap Scairbhin na gCuach. "Scairbhin na gCuach, garbh's fuar," they used to mutter to each other: "the cuckoo spell is blustery and cold".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/listening-for-the-cuckoo-1.143830

There is definatly something in that - the only decent May bank holiday i can remember was the one the kicked off the increadible summer of 2018

I just find it interesting this year because if you follow the weather forum atm they mention a colder spell coming next week. There must be something in it, Our forefathers must have had some sort of understanding years ago that still lingers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Saw first Swallow on 1st Aril. Looking forward to seeing Swifts return very soon.

Heard the first cuckoo this evening, brought a smile to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

first of May today and as if if right on cue i heard my first call of the cuckoo,

plus....the distant call of a curlew too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Saw my first swifts of the year today; they may have been around for a few days as I haven't been down to the town for a few days

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They arrived in Leixlip yesterday - Summer is here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

They arrived in Leixlip yesterday - Summer is here now :D

Feel the same way every year and when they leave in August they take the Summer with them. They are in Enniscorthy the last couple of days and numbers seem up on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

They're back! Saw first 2 swifts today over Phibsboro. I hope the good weather continues for them.

Advertisement