Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

not yet, but it sounds very interesting

yes...there was a need for a female in the radio 2 daytime line up...but this is a strange partnership at this stage of their careers and a strange it ending at 8pm, like a pairing that would happen in the mid 90s on radio 1.
    i'm sure this drivetime show will be whiley's soon anyway and mayo will move to weekdays radio 6 or weekends on radio 2, or back to radio 5.

not sure if mayo was tongue in cheek saying this:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/12/simon-mayo-says-last-weeks-difficult-upsetting-ahead-drivetime/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I’ve been a regular listener to Mayo’s show, and have listened this week.

It’s terrible, car crash stuff.

No chemistry between them, Mayo sounds bored out of his mind, guests taking up far, far too much time, fcuking badges, Whiley dominating the mic, and it all just sounds so dreary.

I regularly had his show on but I won’t be tuning in for the foreseeable. Maybe in a while when they’ve settled down a bit. What used to be light and breezy radio is now drab and dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Roar wrote: »
    I’ve been a regular listener to Mayo’s show, and have listened this week.

It’s terrible, car crash stuff.

No chemistry between them, Mayo sounds bored out of his mind, guests taking up far, far too much time, fcuking badges, Whiley dominating the mic, and it all just sounds so dreary.

I regularly had his show on but I won’t be tuning in for the foreseeable. Maybe in a while when they’ve settled down a bit. What used to be light and breezy radio is now drab and dull.

Couldn't agree more. It was always going to be difficult to shoe horn Jo Wiley into an existing slot, but all the joi de vivre seems to be gone out of it. And what happened Simon's original companion Mr Mosh (on Wednesday's at least)?

listeners are not happy with the Mayo and Whiley show over on the BBC Radio 2 facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I listen to Huey Morgan’s R2 show on the BBC radio player, whose programme goes out from 4-6am on Saturday. Fantastic music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Best of luck to Nick and the new guy in August.

The reason for departing breakfast does seem a bit weak though.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/31/nick-grimshaw-quit-hosting-bbc-radio-1-breakfast-show

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

More Music wrote: »
    Best of luck to Nick and the new guy in August.

The reason for departing breakfast does seem a bit weak though.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/31/nick-grimshaw-quit-hosting-bbc-radio-1-breakfast-show

Greg James is far far better than nick grimshaw. He will do far better than grimmy ever did.

Yeah being too tired is a weak reason. I mean it's the fecking BBC radio 1 breakfast show. I wouldn't care how tired I'd be, I'd love to be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Greg James is far far better than nick grimshaw. He will do far better than grimmy ever did.

Yeah being too tired is a weak reason. I mean it's the fecking BBC radio 1 breakfast show. I wouldn't care how tired I'd be, I'd love to be doing it.

What I would have done was put Scott Mills on breakfast, kept Greg on Drivetime, and put Grimmy on 1-4. Scott would have been the best choice; unfortunately it's becoming increasingly unlikely he'll ever get the breakfast show.

I think Grimmy will go when his contract is up next year, maybe a year on drive before Matt and Mollie, or maybe Jordan North, take over.

What I would have done was put Scott Mills on breakfast, kept Greg on Drivetime, and put Grimmy on 1-4. Scott would have been the best choice; unfortunately it's becoming increasingly unlikely he'll ever get the breakfast show.

I think Grimmy will go when his contract is up next year, maybe a year on drive before Matt and Mollie, or maybe Jordan North, take over.

Either Greg or Scott should have taken over from Sir Christopher of Moyles when he left. Yeah Scott is 41 or thereabouts so it's probably gone even though he's one of the best they have. For a station that targets young people not alot of their on air presenters are in the target audience. Is mollie the mollie king out of the Saturdays ?

Yeah I've heard about this Jordan North lad so he's clearly one for the future.
    I did see someone say that Grimmy would move to Radio 2 at some point. I mean imagine him on Radio 2, it would be a disaster IMO.

Listening to radio 2 and Tony Blackburn's golden Hour and it's gone from the Friends theme song( I can't remember the bands name) to the Supremes in a few songs and I've only heard one link. I mean it makes you really wonder why I still try to listen to some Irish radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Feedback returned to Radio 4 last week.
    The number one issue: the Drivetime car crash of Simon Mayo and Jo Wiley.
    In fairness Lewis Carnie (head of) came on to defend the changes under the usual bromides of "time for change..".
    He alleged that there were many listeners who had praised the program, but the presenter Roger Bolton pointed out that they hadn't received a single positive view.

Listening to the wonderful Sara cox on BBC radio 2 at the moment. It's been a very enjoyable nearly two hours of wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

John McEnroe presenting the Six Love Six Wimbledon phone in on Five Live now is always entertaining.

He shoots from the hip and mangles the pronunciation of British placenames in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

First time I've ever got the "Rights restriction" announcement when listening to The World Tonight - presumably analysing the England game?

That’s only for the live broadcast. You can listen to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

his past catching up with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I listen live on the bbc app think that only happens on Tunein etc

I listen live on the bbc app think that only happens on Tunein etc

Definitely not. Try listening to live sport on 5 Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

I listened to some of laura whitmores show this morning, and you know what she was actually better than I expected. She spoke well into the mic and seemed confident.

I listened to some of laura whitmores show this morning, and you know what she was actually better than I expected. She spoke well into the mic and seemed confident.

wow. a basic pre-requisite to get a slot on the BBC???

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

Uhm, ike, err, ahh, yknow......fashion segment

like, uhm, err, ahh, ehh.......women are great

ahh, err, emm, like, ah.....men are bad

***uploads bikini pic to instagram***

RisingDamp wrote: »

Uhm, ike, err, ahh, yknow......fashion segment

like, uhm, err, ahh, ehh.......women are great

ahh, err, emm, like, ah.....men are bad

***uploads bikini pic to instagram***

I never said that the content of the show was high brow to be fair. I said that she sounded confident and didn't sound lost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like Stephen Nolan. Have found him good at drawing out difficult issues - people who've been abused, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I like Stephen Nolan. Have found him good at drawing out difficult issues - people who've been abused, for instance.

Did you hear him this morning going on about getting two dogs and naming them Dick and Dora? And bringing them in to work with him.

Duffy and D'Arcy would be crucified here if they tried that sort of spiel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did you hear him this morning going on about getting two dogs and naming them Dick and Dora? And bringing them in to work with him.

Duffy and D'Arcy would be crucified here if they tried that sort of spiel.

I only know him from an evening slot 10pm-1am on 5 live. He seems to like to facilitate a debate. Did a good job holding the Heathrow airport manager/CEO bloke to account after Frank Gardiner's wheelchair/accessibility issues a few months ago.

Advertisement