Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

MM; Goats can be penned / fenced in. The Kiwi's sussed it out to perfection. But, yes, granted; For us mortals? are 'practically' impossible to contain.

I've watched one of mine walking under the mains Cow Fence. Sparks flying. Hair and flesh sizzling. He didn't have a care in the world! icon_eek.gif

Getting rid of the wet? Be real! We're in Eire! It's wet, full stop! :D

Seriously though; My pasture's on an incline. But, the field below it is a nightmare. As was my one, when I took it over. Donkey took it from knee deep, Japanese soldiers could be in there, no space between the stuff 98% Juncus.

Some goats did what ever they did ~ and plenty more carnage to balance any possible good. Never again :rolleyes:

Now it's just my " Horses ". Donks, the original donkey. And my Rosie; Gypsy Cob. Rosie's too crafty to feast on much juncus and I suspect she's teaching Donks that 'the idiot will come through' for them.

Meanwhile, the idiot harbours (pipe?) dreams of getting the damn place Mole Ploughed and / or laying in some of the yellow pipe.

Just not sure how much good either would do. Lot of money and hard work involved. I've burned myself once already. See above :(

Meanwhile; Eat ye hearts out! Look at this scrap of newspaper I found under some old lino here. It dates, as I recall, just from the seventies! Get the prices!!! icon_eek.gif
    MoleDrains.jpg
    If Only!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Kayla Moldy Supernova

From Ecology and management of Juncus effusus (soft rush)BOGFOR Research Programme M. J. McCorry and Florence Renou :-

J. effusus is relatively easy to control using a variety of mowing and herbicide applications, along with land improvement (drainage).

A bit of alkaline ash won't do the job. If the drainage is bad then the Ph, while a contributing factor, is only one of the secondary factors supporting Juncuc effusus.

Goats will do the mowing but not improve the drainage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

artieanna wrote: »
    Soot is great fertilizer for any green foliage plant full of nitrogen, spread a fistful of it around the base of plants.
    does coal soot have any of the drawbacks associated with coal ash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

anyone know if you can upload an mp3 to boards??

or would you have to upload to youtube and then post in a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

trebor28 wrote: »
    anyone know if you can upload an mp3 to boards??

or would you have to upload to youtube and then post in a link?

I think you can try uploading it as a zip file.

It didn't work for me one time I tried but that could've been just my inept-ness.

• Advertisement

here goes nothing.

attached is a zipped file of what i think is two birds flying over head one night around midnight. was recorded on my mobile so quality isnt that good.

thanks littlebug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

trebor28 wrote: »
    here goes nothing.

attached is a zipped file of what i think is two birds flying over head one night around midnight. was recorded on my mobile so quality isnt that good.

thanks littlebug.

I think those are Oystercatcher contact calls

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rushes are a war of attrition. Agree with drainage. I'd mow them, then depending on sensibilities spray or lick/wipe (from at least two directions) with suitable herbicide.

This'll be popular comment here but to be rid of rushes, as well as destroying the weed itself, you need to destroy it's habitat, and that is wet.

You already know how many seeds they produce, and how long those seeds live in the soil.

I've opened many drains on my farm and have the plans of a DIY rickshaw weedlicker floating about in my head, terrain not really vehicle friendly... If I had vehicles for it to be friendly with.

LostCovey wrote: »
    I think those are Oystercatcher contact calls

LostCovey

may well be LC, but what would be doing this far inland? im counties away from the coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Kayla Moldy Supernova

Osytercatchers often flock and indeed nest inland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Despite the frost, the last 2 days of sunshine is good for the soul and Spring is upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have seen a good few bees about, and a butterfly yesterday.

Did I ever mention I really dislike butterflies? And moths of course! :eek:

whyulittle wrote: »
    Have seen a good few bees about, and a butterfly yesterday.

Did I ever mention I really dislike butterflies? And moths of course! :eek:
    No :eek:
    How could you? :)

I've come across dislike of moths...creatures flying in the night etc but I don't recall anyone with a dislike for butterflies...

Saw Small Tortoisehell yesterday.

Yeah 'fraid so. They're just big colourful moths to me!

saw my first (HUGE) bumblebee in the garden today.
    It's lovely to see activity starting again.

I was down by the River Shannon yesterday, beside some reeds. There was something in them, making a sound that can only be described like a hammer, hitting down on metal. A real kind of high pitched, dink, dink.

Any ideas?!

whyulittle wrote: »
    I was down by the River Shannon yesterday, beside some reeds. There was something in them, making a sound that can only be described like a hammer, hitting down on metal. A real kind of high pitched, dink, dink.

Any ideas?!

Eh, there is a type of pump that can work underwater. No motors or anything, just needs water to fall into it, then it pumps something like 10% of the water that falls into it, uses the waters weight to work. Maybe that, but I don't know why it'd be put in reeds. Can't for the life of me think of it's name.

Ram pump,

shouldn't be making that kind of noise though, no metal on metal parts.

Mothman wrote: »
    Ram pump,

shouldn't be making that kind of noise though, no metal on metal parts.

Videos of them on YouTube for the OP to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

did anyone see Dermot O Neills show on RTE last night?

thought it was very good, walled garden was fab!

• Advertisement

I'm loving that we're starting to talk about bees and swallows and all things spring again. Now if we could just get this promised cold snap out of the way and let it start properly :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

yeah it's great to see the chases on between the birds :) all of them flying about with sticks in their mouths! :D

Hold onto your hat/wig/insert what's appropriate day today!

Never mind my wig :pac: I just had trouble keeping my car on the right ( I mean left) side of the road :eek:

Wish it'd warm up a little, there was ice/sleet in the showers here today. People keep talking of a white Paddys day.

No. Thank. You.

I got sunburnt on Paddy's day 2003!

littlebug wrote: »
    I got sunburnt on Paddy's day 2003!

:pac: Herself got sunburnt a few days ago. She's notorious for it!

2003... was that the year it got to 19 degrees in Feb? Think it was Feb, I remember doing draining on the farm and it was hot for the time of year.

I'd say you're thinking March 05. 19C was widespread and above 20C in places.

16C is about as high as it gets in Feb, though the overall record is 18.1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I wonder if the supposed upcoming cold snap is going to affect the birds at all.

I like going to and coming back from work, i work in a residential area and it's full of wildlife. collared doves sitting on wires at the entrance, blackbirds hopping about just outside. and of course my little wood pigeon whose calls i can hear down the chimney of the building, sounds like he's in the room with me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Went walking the dogs at the river today and not 6 feet away was a Kingfisher:)
    I only ever see them from a distance, a little flash of blue, it was so beautiful and sat still for about 5 seconds (flew off as I got the phone out from under the many layers for a pic).
    Even though I got soaked and cold, I was very happy after that.:D

Advertisement