Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for that sickpuppy32....I will keep it in mind if the Rescue Remedy Night fails...I bought it today so tonight will be the first time. I'm not expecting miracles so I'll give it a week or so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

If it works for you during exam time it should do the same trick for sleep. Thats excatly how I started to use it in the first place! I hope you sleep tight!

If not, my bro took melatonin for a while when he was on other meds that kept him up, and they literally knocked him out so they were good for that. In terms of getting rescue remedy vs melatonin though, RR is much easier to get!

Jesjes wrote: »
    If it works for you during exam time it should do the same trick for sleep. Thats excatly how I started to use it in the first place! I hope you sleep tight!

OK, I took RR last night as I hopped into bed and read a bit. After about 20 minutes I turned off the light and I nodded off no problem and more importantly I stayed asleep. I'm delighted, now of course it could be a coincidence or it could be a typical placebo type affect but hey, I slept well last night and that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

OK, I took RR last night as I hopped into bed and read a bit. After about 20 minutes I turned off the light and I nodded off no problem and more importantly I stayed asleep. I'm delighted, now of course it could be a coincidence or it could be a typical placebo type affect but hey, I slept well last night and that's good.

Let us know how you are getting on...

ian_m wrote: »
    Let us know how you are getting on...

hmm, well after the first night it's back to the drawing board. I nod off but after about 10 minutes I'm wide awake again. I was reading a new book in bed and the book was replaying in my dreams, this sometimes happens to me and then I wake up.:mad:

I'll keep trying it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

hmm, well after the first night it's back to the drawing board. I nod off but after about 10 minutes I'm wide awake again. I was reading a new book in bed and the book was replaying in my dreams, this sometimes happens to me and then I wake up.:mad:

I'll keep trying it anyway!

Have you tried listening to 'white noise'? Or sea sounds? I've tried that sometimes.

ian_m wrote: »
    Have to tried listening to 'white noise'? Or sea sounds? I've tried that sometimes.

I'll have to use headphones because the wife wouldn't be best pleased with white noise:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i had a machine years ago that had diff settings ie. white noise, rain, sea ... it was great, have no idea where to get one now though:confused:
    if its rainy or windy outside....i fall asleep no prob listening (window open)
    also.....listening to my dogs snoring seems to help me sleep....ironic really, cos if my oh snoring it has opp effect:p

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i find the sound of the dishwasher and washing machine really relaxing, thank god i discovered nightsaver electricity;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I have a book called "The Promise Of Sleep" by William C Dement that I found useful. I don't know if the book has been mentioned before in the sleeping and dreaming forum.

Chapters / contents are listed here on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440509017/scienceandpol-20#reader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dingleye

So i've heard...
    - Hot bath or shower before bed? - THIS WORKS FOR ME :)
    - Horlicks and hot milk, thats meant to make you sleep, I think? :confused: I've never tried it, just know it tastes good in milkshakes :)
    - Heard that rescue remedy stuff is meant to be good :confused:
    - Lavander oil on the corners of your pillow?
    - Don't have lie on's & dont have naps in the evening
    - Take up some physical exercise, buy a bike or go for a walk in the evening to tire yourself out

***** The sound of a hairdrier makes me drift off into a deep sleep for some reason, used to love it when I lived with my sister & she would be up for work before me and have the hairdrier going :rolleyes: Zzzzz... the noise of an electric fan has the same kind of effect, weird? *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Continuous noise sometimes helps for me too. Also, trying to stay awake, for some reason. Otherwise, nothing beats an orgasm for sending you off. That would be my number one recommendation.

Anyone else avoid going to bed because they know it will be a while before sleep? :( Viscious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I know its always said, but its always about a routine

I'm shocked how much my sleep has improved in the last year

Stay up all night and day, then go to bed at about 10pm
    Anyone should be bollixed at this stage!
    Then get out of bed at 7am. This is the hardest part, so havin someone to get u up is a big help

Even on your days off, get up early and sleep early

The worst thing for me was bein on my PC for a couple of hours, then goin straight to bed
    So i have a new rule of no PC after 10pm

Also, no strong lights. Try to use a lamp when it gets dark instead of the main light

Sleep is what u do when you're tired, so do things that will make u sleepy!
    Long walks [as in 2hours+] swimming, and afternoon sports are good

If you're still awake after an hour, get up and do somethin. You'll just get more frustrated = less likely to sleep at all

While medicinal ways may help a bit, you'll outgrow them, and the sleep isnt always as good when it's unnatural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Another thing that helps (and I know that works) is to stay awake until you're tired. Keep yourself busy with a book. Trying to sleep is a no-no. Really. Do whatever you do to relax, but do it to keep awake. I know it might be a bit odd, but it works for me and plenty of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SI NO

ive heard many things to help sleep

1.exercise that day!
    2. Peanut butter and milk before you sleep

however the consumption of a Melatonin aids sleep! and gets you on a regular sleep pattern!

Melatonin is a hormone manufactured in the pineal gland (located in the middle of the brain), and is considered the great regulator of our internal clock. It is thought to be responsible for maintaining the circadian rhythms (natural sleep/wake cycle) within the body. The amount of light hitting our eyes determines the amount of melatonin the pineal gland secretes, so darkness triggers the release of melatonin into our bloodstream, causing a drop in body temperature, and eventual sleep.

CherryActive Concentrate and Capsules are made from carefully-selected Montmorency cherries, using special techniques to harness and optimise their health-promoting nutrients.
    Montmorency cherries have been shown by recent research to be one of the few-known food sources of naturally-occurring melatonin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Never knew there was a Sleeping forum!

I have huge sleep problems. Last night, I was awake for the whole night. 10am this morning was the last time I checked my phone for the time after trying actively since about 5 or 6am to sleep. Managed to get a few hours, never continuous sleep mind, just awake, asleep, awake kind of thing.

No matter what, I can't sleep. I've tried exercising and getting myself into a routine and hot chocolate before bed etc., but I'll still lie there wide awake. No matter how tired I am, I can't shut my mind off. I just think obsessively.

I have been prescribed sleeping pills too, no effect.

It's just nice to know that I am not alone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 FiennesJ

None of that stuff works! I have suffered with insomina for years and it angers me when people babble on about stupid tips that don't work! they clearly never had a serious sleep disorder. Not being able to sleep for a short period is one thing, but to have people fill you full of rubbish about hot baths and lavender etc when its a chronic sleep disorder you are suffering for years and is affecting your everyday life is another. Its a trip to your G.P is what is needed for a possible referral to a sleep disorder clinic! not a gift voucher to the bloody body shop!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK for me to add here?

I have the waking in the middle of the night problem. You know it. No problem nodding off, but the wake at 4 am is a real killer.

Anyway, one weekend morning about 8 am, having been practically awake since 4 am, I took my Berocca (fizzy multivitamin) as I usually do at breakfast during the work week. Well ZZZZZZZZ after that!

I am not kidding. So when I woke the next night at the usual 4 am, somehow or other I remembered to take the Berocca, and I went out like a light. I think it must be some of the ingredients, combined with the middle of the night. But it really works for me.

I found the Berocca expensive, so tried the Boots generic version at half the price, and the same thing, sleep after middle of the night waking.

Now I don't know if it is just me, but NOTHING else worked, and that middle night waking is the absolute pits. You just count the hours until you have to get up for work and do you know, I always fell into a deep sleep about an hour before getting up time.

I don't know if it will work for you, but what the hell, no harm done, no xanax, valium, etc.

I wish you all well, and sympathise. I accept that I will wake up about 4am, but I know what to do now. And it is getting rarer as time goes on, but still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

My sleeping is all over the place lately. Worse problem than not being able to sleep at night is not being able to wake up in the day. Has me in all kinds of trouble at the moment.

Anyway, one serious piece of advice for sleeping:

*** Get off the Internet!!! ***

Goodnight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

I have terrible sleep problems (its 3:14am right now and am online...) and it is very annoying for me and disruptive to my day to day life. Its that age old problem i can't sleep due to excessive thinking/worrying/musings. As well as this i am a incredibly light sleeper, the slightest noises wake me up, and i have to have essentially complete darkness to sleep comfortably.
    It frustrates me a lot cuz, while i feel that staying up till say 1am is relativly normal after that i know i should be sleeping. Iv had loads of people from friends,boyfriends and parents tell me how to fix it from take more exercise to have a tidier room but to be honest i dont think these are the answers. Iv been phsyically exhausted before, from very active days and despite this still struggled to sleep, for me i think it is definetly a mental thing.
    Its strangely good to know that other people go through this too....no1 i know really has insomnia or anything close to it so a lot of the time its generally dismissed and theres nothing more annoying then that. I take sleeping suppliments now when its particularly bad and they do the job but i know that thats a bad road to go down by all accounts...
    Anyway, just my thoughts, its nice to know am not alone tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

4:50am, can't sleep :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I have terrible trouble sleeping also. Im a shift worker, and alternate between 12 hour nights and days, and my body clock is all over the place.
    Its so hard to sleep during the day, i never feel refreshed after trying to sleep during the day.
    Ive tried sleeping tablets, but they only give me about 4 hours sleep. Ive also started trying the Rescue Remedy night stuff, but it only gives me 4 hours sleep.
    Whats also annoying is that when i eventually do get to sleep, im an incredibly light sleeper, so will hear everything.
    Ive also got a new boyfriend, and cant sleep when he is there at all, as im not used to the noises he makes!!!

Has anyone any reccomendations for helping me adjust between nights and days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I have a kind of "self-induced" insomnia as I have spent most nights for the last month staying awake until 4am at the earliest when I could have slept from 1am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Just found the sleeping forum! never knew there was one.

Just want to echo what lots of people here have said, have had insomnia for years - tried everything really. Finally went to the doc who recommended melatonin. Sorted everything out in no time. Would def recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

I once went for 9 days without a wink of sleep and then ended up going to the chemist and got medication, but thats not the answer.

I find now that a bit of exercise does you the world of good, but you also need a clear head, like so many others im a bit of a obsessive thinker, i just try to concentrate on something im looking forward to or i know i will enjoy in the near future.

Needless to say a regular sleep pattern helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jazzelyn

I've spent years not sleeping restfully and nothing seemed to work. Lately I've started taking 30 minute walks in the evening, after dinner, and I've found my sleeping has improved - I think it helps clear the head and relaxes me a bit.

Anyway, just a thought - it works for me; it might for you too. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

I've always had trouble with my sleep, but the last 2 yrs have been hell. Mainly due to anxiety, the last month I averaged 3.5 hours sleep a day, some all nighters. :(

Offered by my Dr. and therapist a script, but always tried to do without. Now I think I need it, but was looking to try an over the counter version first as figured they would be milder. But tried 3 chemists today and everything they had was 'natural herb extract' and fecking homeopathy. :rolleyes:

I'd rather not waste my time on herbs and holy water, Can you get over the counter meds? as in proven by modern medicine or do I have to get a script for it?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone have more details on the technique of relaxing by imagining various bits falling to sleep first starting at the extremities and then gradually getting the rest of your body relaxed ?
    Or where you breath slowly ?

Advertisement