Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crow banger

• 07-04-2021 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

perhaps the wrong forum to ask but i was wondering if setting up a crow banger might help evict a colony of crows which has completely taken over a small enclave of residences , my widowed mother lives in one of the houses and she cant go outside her house these days without being shat on , she cant hang out clothes , her car is being destroyed , the situation is absolutely chronic . , she cant even feed her few hens outside as the crows steal the food

crows are intelligent , would they get used to a crow banger in a short space of time ? , ive spoken to all of the neighbours and all would be on board if they thought it would work , the hope is that the crows would abandon the nests having heard the sound and the chicks would obviously freeze to death , thus warning the crows that the area was not safe as a breeding ground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

when did this issue present itself?? Most rookeries date back decades or more - did you folks only notice now?? The young rooks will start leaving the nests from mid May with nearly all gone by the start of June. I would suggest you then deal with the issue by either pruning the trees or scaring the birds using bangers, false owls etc. before they start nesting the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Every window in my house is ruined by them, Their **** has my back yard balcony ruined, my car destroyed from them but the strange thing is I like them, I like their mischievousness. I also have Seagulls though and the noise of them is quiet funny they are absolutely crazy things. But I can fully understand and sympathise with anyone who wants rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Photo of the location would help us understand the situation? It sounds quite bizarre - a little enclave surrounded by crows and an old lady who can't feed her chickens and everything covered in bird **** - is it plot for a remake of Hitchcock's "The Birds"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Every window in my house is ruined by them, Their **** has my back yard balcony ruined, my car destroyed from them but the strange thing is I like them, I like their mischievousness. I also have Seagulls though and the noise of them is quiet funny they are absolutely crazy things. But I can fully understand and sympathise with anyone who wants rid of them.

Crows are vermin, no different to rats, amazes me how some people can like them or get squeamish about dealing with them

Each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Sounds like it's the chicken feed that might be attracting them. They're intelligent enough to take advantage of a regular free lunch. Perhaps feed the chickens inside they're coup? The crows will move on when the food disappears.

A crow banger will upset the neighbors, possibly scare the chickens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: What you have proposed is in breach of the Wildlife Act and is illegal. If you want to find a legal solution, talk to your local NPWS Ranger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement