Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overclocking?

• 03-07-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have no major need to overclock or upgrade the ram but im curious as to what the possibilities are.

Processor= i7-4790 3.6ghz
    Motherboard= MSI H97 ms-7918
    GFX card= Radeon RX 480 8Gb
    Ram= 12Gb DDR3

So any suggestions?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

If your motherboard is a H97, that means it can't overclock. Z97 means it can overclock. Although you can mess with a few settings...

Additionally you cannot overclock a non-K Intel CPU, except perhaps a bit of BCLK overclocking, which is dependant on your motherboard, but this will give you little advantage for a lot of work...

I believe that your only limited to these types of overclocks:

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-overclocking-software-15-top-apps-721381

Personally I wouldn't bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would upgrade the RAM first, 12GB is a bit odd, is that 2 sticks of 4? Or a 4 +8? either way you're probably not benefiting anymore than you would from 8GB [2x4] - Get 2 sticks of decent 8GB and you'll notice a bump in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would upgrade the RAM first, 12GB is a bit odd, is that 2 sticks of 4? Or a 4 +8? either way you're probably not benefiting anymore than you would from 8GB [2x4] - Get 2 sticks of decent 8GB and you'll notice a bump in performance.

Have to dissent there. Unless you're hitting your memory limit or accessing virtual/pagefile memory a lot, there's no need. Up until someone threw old sticks at me @ work to use, I was happy to use 8GB in my machine for the longest time running Solidworks, Matlab, gaming and all else; it was only a combination of a lot of multitasking while playing heavier titles that saw me regularly hit that cap, so I went to 16 GB. That said if you're managing your tasks and only doing things for gaming etc. then 12 GB should be ample, more is only going to net you perhaps marginal increases in performance while tabbing between apps.

Unfortunately on team Blue, overclocking is harder to do as they lock the multiplier in most cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

put in better gpu when they get cheaper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement
Advertisement