Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tai Chi v Kung Fu v Anything else?!

• 21-01-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Sort of have a New Years plan to try out at least one martial art this year but not sure which one to be honest.

Was honing in more on Kung FU or Tai chi mainly for the perception I gather that they are good for helping to centre the body and the mind. Ideally I wanted something that would be a bit if excercise and good on the mental health side of things ( I know technically all excercise helps but I believe these are particularly good with eg breathing excercises).

I’m not interested in fighting but will do if it’s required. That said I believe you can some forms of defencive techniques in Kung Fu but Is it the same in Tai Chi? Be handy to learn some moves.

I tried some Boxcercise before and enjoyed the intensity of it at times. I also tried meditation which I found boring. Just thought Thai Chi or Kung fu would be a better mix of the two.

Any other advice or suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Try different styles and find out what you like.
    Ultimately most people here will only be able to tell you what works for them.

For example, I do Jiu Jitsu. For me it ticks all the boxes you mention, plus some extra boxes of my own.
    Whether or not it ticks them for you, nobody can tell you. That goes for Kung Fu and Tai Chi also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Drumpot wrote: »
    Was honing in more on Kung FU or Tai chi mainly for the perception I gather that they are good for helping to centre the body and the mind. Ideally I wanted something that would be a bit if excercise and good on the mental health side of things ( I know technically all excercise helps but I believe these are particularly good with eg breathing excercises)..

I've done Yang-style Tai Chi Chuan for a few years, and the classes were a 50/50 split of breathwork / form and stepping and partner-work. I'm learning a different style at the minute which is more martial-oriented.

There are lots of different flavours of TCC and I'm sure other teachers will highlight certain aspects of the art over others. But if you're looking for something that rewards hard work, encourages 'internal' focus, breathwork as well as strength-building, flexibility etc, TCC would fit the bill.

I’m not interested in fighting but will do if it’s required. That said I believe you can some forms of defencive techniques in Kung Fu but Is it the same in Tai Chi? Be handy to learn some moves.

TCC is a martial art, but you can certainly train and learn without ever engaging in competition or sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

beans wrote: »
    I'm learning a different style at the minute which is more martial-oriented.

Are you attending a class and if so could you provide some details? Much obliged.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Are you attending a class and if so could you provide some details? Much obliged.

The style is 'Practical Tai Chi Chuan / Wudang Tai Chi Chuan', my teacher's teacher is Dan Docherty, who is worth a Google for some context.

I'm based in Galway, we have sessions every Monday in the city. If you're based elsewhere in the country, I'd maybe try asking a question on the PTCC facebook group and they might know who to put you in touch with.

We do qigong, form, partnerwork (push-hands, striking, locks), various drills, possibility to learn sabre-, spear-, sword-forms etc.

beans wrote: »
    The style is 'Practical Tai Chi Chuan / Wudang Tai Chi Chuan', my teacher's teacher is Dan Docherty, who is worth a Google for some context.

I'm based in Galway, we have sessions every Monday in the city. If you're based elsewhere in the country, I'd maybe try asking a question on the PTCC facebook group and they might know who to put you in touch with.

We do qigong, form, partnerwork (push-hands, striking, locks), various drills, possibility to learn sabre-, spear-, sword-forms etc.

Ah yes I know of the Galway group. I was meant to travel to Galway for the seminar last week. I used to be trained by Niall Keane but he's moved from Dublin so i'm all on my lonesome now.

• Advertisement

I too am looking for a kung fu class preferably Northside Dublin. I wonder if anybody knows anything about this group

http://www.chineseboxingdublin.com/

or if anybody could tell me anything about http://www.chentaichiireland.com/

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Ah yes I know of the Galway group. I was meant to travel to Galway for the seminar last week. I used to be trained by Niall Keane but he's moved from Dublin so i'm all on my lonesome now.

I would have met you so :) Good luck in finding a group to train with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Did a few different styles (not in Ire), and some years ago.
    Including JJ/Boxing/Kickboxing/Karate, and found Kung-Fu the best by far.

We trained under a self-appointed, but very experienced Sifu Grand-Master ~ of sorts, with own school, based loosely on Wing Chun.

Varied stuff: 10% warm-ups, then 20% more intense exercise (to point of cardio-exhaustion), then 20% fighting (ccompetitive points, also full offensive & defensive scenarios), 10% specific techniques (inc weapons, street, confined space & more general SD), 20% forms(kata), 10% meditation (gongs, incesnse etc), Chi pressure points, contextual history bits, and even a spot of Chinese scripting with ink brush. All from the getgo at white-belt, up to, and including senior grades.

All of which, including meditation skills, still of great use years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chatterman

I know I'm late to this thread, but if it's of interest I have been training in Lung Ying Dragon Style Kung Fu for approximately the last 5 years. We are based in the North side of Dublin City.

https://www.kungfu.ie/contact

Advertisement