Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary teaching.......mountain to climb

Options
  • 15-04-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Ok. So thinking of going doing primary teaching. Need to do the post graduate master in primary education.

Aiming to secure job from it locally which is why I will try hard if it's gonna be worth it but need those qualifications. Absolutely none of which I have and I mean none. Not even a leaving cert.

Long story short, was good at school but didn't have heart for differing reasons. (just a fckued up situation so dont ask)

I went on to get a masters in another field so I'm absolutely sorted in the 3rd level area.

I was speaking to one of the colleges today, and they told me I'm going to be 2 years away from even postioning myself to apply for one of these courses.

Thats because I effectively need to do leaving cert Irish, English and Maths. None of which I have. The way places are handed out in March even people who do the leaving this summer they won't be able to apply until the next academic year.

That's the bad sh1t out of the way.

#######################

Now I need as I say to start working on those 3 areas. Leaving cert Irish, English and Maths.

I've been told I should do the Leaving cert irish which is honours through Teg.

English needs to be sat as if i were enrolling in a leaving cert exam.

Then alternative for the maths if i wish is to be done through this QQI level 5 thing requiring 60/70% outcome. English and Maths can be sat at pass level.

Is this too big of a mountain?? Is there another way??

And if it is the only way I need to be thinking of starting some of this stuff soon. The learning alone I'd have to be doing will be insane.

Where who what how when to begin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

Then alternative for the maths if i wish is to be done through this QQI level 5 thing requiring 60/70% outcome. English and Maths can be sat at pass level.

Is this the QQI Level 5 Maths course through Nightschool.ie/Summerschool.ie? If so, I've just finished it myself. I believe they're still taking applications for the new term starting next week if you want to bite the bullet and get it out of the way. It's a 12 week online course, with one 3 hour session per week with two assignments and a final exam at the end. It's well worth doing and a lot less hassle than sitting the LC exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 closequarter

Proferoxa wrote: »
    Is this the QQI Level 5 Maths course through Nightschool.ie/Summerschool.ie? If so, I've just finished it myself. I believe they're still taking applications for the new term starting next week if you want to bite the bullet and get it out of the way. It's a 12 week online course, with one 3 hour session per week with two assignments and a final exam at the end. It's well worth doing and a lot less hassle than sitting the LC exam.
    Hmmm yeah seen that. What was the cost by the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

Hmmm yeah seen that. What was the cost by the way??

I believe it was €190. Less if you're on social welfare.

Yeah 200 bucks. Anyway I don't have internet ATM so it's not a runner. I'm not going to rush in until I get further clarity on all 3. I'm not going to act like things are a dead cert right away.

I seen this earlier today but think I will wait

Also........

Anyone have any recommendations regarding actual leaving cert type courses that last say maybe 12 months and then I could be ready to sit leaving cert exams next year

• Advertisement

Basically instead of someone doing leaving cert (2 years as normal) I will spend 1 academic year and then exams next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 19 itrip

Try Kilroys College, they used to do correspondence courses in leaving cert subjects...probably all online now...you submit work to them, they correct and give feedback, .....https://www.kilroyscollege.ie/

Yeah I had a look at them alright. First place gonna call Monday. Their phone wasnt answering today

Looking like the most likely decision.

One final question. I would be thinking of starting late summer ok, I'll start sooner if necessary but I'm taking on as if it were an academic year.

I stopped this stuff after Junior cert and went the work/training route non school stuff route. Didn't care really

So with all that in mind and based on the requirement of the course/career I wish to apply for. The need to cram in Irish, English and Maths.

Is this doable in an academic year and be exam ready???? I'm at nothing else and will put all into it if people think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd echo the post on doing the QQI Level 5 Maths. I used to teach it and I assume it hasn't changed much in the last 4-5 years. There are two assignments worth 30% each, and then then exam is 40%, so far less pressure than doing two exams in maths for LC.

The passing grade required is 50% for QQI. Do decent assignments, which you will be doing at home and you are already over the line.

Find a way to get internet access and then get you maths done and out of the way before the summer. That takes the pressure off for the next academic year.

This is the module.

https://www.qqi.ie//sites/docs/AwardsLibraryPdf/5N1833_AwardSpecifications_English.pdf

I'd echo the post on doing the QQI Level 5 Maths. I used to teach it and I assume it hasn't changed much in the last 4-5 years. There are two assignments worth 30% each, and then then exam is 40%, so far less pressure than doing two exams in maths for LC.

The passing grade required is 50% for QQI. Do decent assignments, which you will be doing at home and you are already over the line.

Find a way to get internet access and then get you maths done and out of the way before the summer. That takes the pressure off for the next academic year.

This is the module.

https://www.qqi.ie//sites/docs/AwardsLibraryPdf/5N1833_AwardSpecifications_English.pdf

Right this is where I have been looking at starting

https://nightschool.ie/maths/ <<<<<<

Do they cover course, assessments/exams, results the whole lot??????

I didn't apply for these because I wasn't whether they do the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just double check the new requirements - the QQI maths is the best option, but you need a merit or a distinction, a pass isn't sufficient. They've increased the minimum entry requirements for next year.

Advertisement