Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was I right?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

As much as I think this didn't happen, if it did good on you.

It drives me fecking insane.

Out and about etc they are for emergencies. No one needs to be contactable 24/7.

Shopping centres, public areas, public transport etc, they should be banned, except for emergencies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So you did all that and didn't even say in plain English what she was doing wrong.

I'd call it passive aggressive but it wasn't any way passive. Really stupid behaviour (if it happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If it were in a library I'd be nominating you for a citizenship award, but this is Penny's. I think shooting her a dirty look would have been the limit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If you took my phone off me I would have smacked you. I never talk loudly on my speaker though. Don't touch strangers or their property. You could have asked politely if she could keep it down.

Both arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The use of mobile phones has changed dramatically how people behave in public. It takes a while for us to adapt.

I recently had a nice breakfast in a nice cafe ruined by a fool having a 30 min rambling conversation into her stupid earphones/microphone thing.

I remember working in Verbatim Limerick in 1994 and one of the security guards getting dogs abuse as he was seen carrying a mobile phone in a pub on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So today I went to Pennys to get a new pair of jocks. There was a middle aged lady in the menswear section talking loudly on a speakerphone in either Polish or Latvian etc. She seemed oblivious to the rest of the store and I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, in fact I couldn't even hear myself think. So I went over to her and said excuse me, and took the phone out of her hand and hung up the phone and handed it back to her. She immediately started screaming at me, calling it assault and threatened to ring the guards. I knew I had the wrong thing done then so I exited the store briskly. hence no jocks. It just annoyed me that some people think they are the only person the planet and have no consideration of others. Should I have done what I did?

Few things here.

One. You are probably still asleep after one too many Dutch Gold, but when you wake up, you'll feel the shame hit you on why you made up such a sad story.

Two. In the unlikeliest of events this is true, i wouldn't trust you around women. Cowardly and if you did it to me i would have dragged you out of the shop by the scruff. You sound and behaved like a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Were you lost in Ireland's largest lingerie section??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

She didn't look like she was receiving bad news, if she did she wouldn't have been looking at clothes whilst doing so for several minutes. But anyway, I did what I did, probably shouldn't but I felt I needed to make a point, probably went in one ear and out the other. To the people who say I should have been able to shop for a pair of boxers regardless, shopping is an endeavour that requires concentration, comparing prices etc when there is someone buzzing in your ear whilst trying to come to rational conclusion aint that easy, you should try it sometime

You were shopping for underwear ... In Penney's. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Liar liar pants on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Maybe English sounds annoying to her, but I bet she can still speak it you monolingual clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You shouldn't have done what you did.
    But you did the right thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Didn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You should've stuck some cannibal corpse full blast on your phone and followed her around. She would've legged it from the shop pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Are you the guy who took the earphones out of the girl's ears on the bus a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Had I known then what I know now, I almost certainly would have reconsidered putting the salami back. Be careful next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

frash wrote: »
    Are you the guy who took the earphones out of the girl's ears on the bus a few years ago?

No but I could see where that bloke was coming from :D:D

Apparently if you go to countries like Norway and Sweden if you are being too loud or annoying other people you will be told to pipe down straight away. A mate of mine was playing a movie on his laptop on public transport over there and was told to shut it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Apparently if you go to countries like Norway and Sweden if you are being too loud or annoying other people you will be told to pipe down straight away. A mate of mine was playing a movie on his laptop on public transport over there and was told to shut it off.

I’ve no problem with people politely telling others to quiet down. I don’t think rudeness is acceptable though in asking. You can get your point across without it.

However, you went further than that and got into her personal space and grabbed her phone. There’s no law against it but it’s common sense to not do that. It was an overreaction on your part.

I’ve no problem with people politely telling others to quiet down. I don’t think rudeness is acceptable though in asking. You can get your point across without it.

However, you went further than that and got into her personal space and grabbed her phone. There’s no law against it but it’s common sense to not do that. It was an overreaction on your part.

I accept it was wrong, two wrongs don't make a right and all of that. Anyway, lesson learned, we move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You'll definitely be on next month's Crimecall.
    You might as well hand yourself in now.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

You'll definitely be on next month's Crimecall.
    You might as well hand yourself in now.

Good I always wanted to get on TV :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Would you have done it if it was an 18 stone Polish/Latvian bodybuilder?

You'd be suprised, but the biggest men are sometimes the quickest attacked for breaches of social protocal.

Edit: As a sidenote, she falsely accused you in my mind imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That I'm racist? No I don't think so. Its a pet hate of mine people talking loudly and being inconsiderate, in fact I think the conversation would have annoyed me even more could I understand it

I’m pressure sure Russians or Latvians aren’t another race

Oh, forgot to say I’ve seen people do this in Ireland. It’s no big deal.

Oh, forgot to say I’ve seen people do this in Ireland. It’s no big deal.

Yeah but the Scandanavians wouldn't be as shy or apologetic about it, you would be told quite bluntly that you are being an arse

Yeah but the Scandanavians wouldn't be as shy or apologetic about it, you would be told quite bluntly that you are being an arse

I’ve seen people do it bluntly in Ireland!

I’ve seen people do it bluntly in Ireland!

Im sure you have, but in general the Scandanavians, also Germans and Dutch would be a lot more straight forward, especially when it comes to things like that. We are a shyer nation and don't express ourselves as abruptly, but I digress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yes, I always hate when the peaceful oasis of a Pennys store at Christmas is shattered by the a single person on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Tonight, on “Things that Never Happened”..

I agree. No way would east European women be in a shop without a dedicated stonewashed denim section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement