Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mysterious Lights in Glenmalure

Options
  • 06-08-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

When I first noticed this I was looking in its direction. I noticed the area in the sky behind the mountain was beginning to get an orange color. I was hit with some confusion as it seemed to me that it was the glow from the sun as it continued to go down..It felt a bit late for that as we had I thought passed that hour, it was now 11.25..then it dawned on me that the direction was all wrong, I wasn't facing west.

As I kept my eye on the light that seemed to be growing brighter I said to my friend, what the hell is going on this is weird. As I was saying this the light started like pulsating and growing bigger. My brain was really confused as I was just trying to explain to myself the facts of what was happening. A fire we simultaneously thought but our reasoning that a fire on the far side of the hill was the cause of the light was challenged then quickly quenched as it was like, BAM, gone..starting up again and pretty violently (as this is the only word I can think of at the moment) pulsing, pulsing, brighter, lighter, lighter, dim, BAM bright BAM gone... this went on for about ten minutes constantly..not a sound.

I was freaked out big time although I held it together and kept my cool, on the outside (you know that feeling of spreading the fear if you freak out) I just couldn't make sense of what it was so that didn't sit well with me. Makes sense as we need to understand stuff to take away the magic, surreal, ghostly alien stuff as that's all a bit ..unusual. My friend seemed pretty calm but she couldn't lend any explanation. When it seemed to stop we sat back at our fire and talked about what it could've been. We both agreed it also looked like a massive fireworks show at the other side of the mountain except we couldn't hear a sound. the color of the light/s was consistently orange just changed in intensity if brightness. We discussed the option of it being a military training thing on late at night which seemed reasonably but what on earth type of training could that be without noise.
    I did stop some army dudes the next day about if they been up behind the mountain and did they use stuff that was like how I described. He said they used flares but they just light the sky up in one go and wouldn't pulse..what we saw was like tons of fire works at different times and short lived. I dunno! Any ides? The distance covered along the mountain ridge was about 40 feet from end to end.
    :eek:
    Thanks for reading and hope I didnt bore and my story is decipherably :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sounds like hand held flares, maybe Army lads searching for something or just sending signals to each other, it may seem to pulsate from behind a hill if they are lighting more than one of them, or moving around with one in their hand.

If it was in a roughly southerly direction it's probably from the Glen of Immal training ground. Could also be a large spotlight used by the Army. Just because on group of soldiers didn't know about it doesn't mean that it wasn't a different unit of the Army up to something else.

See this here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGA23WxHYU

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

A handheld flare, or some big magnesium light would be my initial thoughts. The flickering/pulsating could be down to something/things moving near the source of the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

When I've been staying down in Kiltegan I sometimes see bright ferocious lights flashing behind Keadeen Mountain which I assume are the army practicing at night over in the Glen. Seldom hear anything because the mountain blocks the sound very well. Course I could be wrong and aliens could be taking over Donard ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bob1985

Supposedly Glenmalure is haunted by soldiers from Fiach McHugh OByrnes army that faught the English there in the 17th century. Its written about in an old book I have that was written about 40 years ago by Patrick Byrne called Irish Ghost Stories. The actual battle is mentioned in the song "Follow me up to Carlow". Ive been out that way in the day time and the isolation is breathtaking it must be very eerie at night. Apparently the haunting is lights being seen moving about at night and sounds of an army preparing for battle, people talking and horses neighing.

Advertisement