Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Truthvader wrote: »
    Duh..... The road is blocked..

I was there just the day before yesterday. Looked pretty vibrant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you sure? It seems to be wide open for lots of people in the videos and photos above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would "shut down" not be the place is closed off to everything?

Google says so?

shut down (or shut something down)
    cease (or cause something to cease) business or operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

micosoft wrote: »
    Yeh. I'm going to suggest this is not true unless you live on Clare Island and even then. Either the electrics are screwed up in your house or you have a coin operating meter you forget to put coins in.

I have some news for you that we tend to replace poles/transformers every forty or so years - in some case longer. Do you really imagine we replace them every ten years or so?

happens all the time in wexford / hook area so it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What the hell is an ESB fanboy? I enjoy the aul electricity, does that make me an ESB fanboy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

micosoft wrote: »
    Yeh. I'm going to suggest this is not true unless you live on Clare Island and even then. Either the electrics are screwed up in your house or you have a coin operating meter you forget to put coins in.

I have some news for you that we tend to replace poles/transformers every forty or so years - in some case longer. Do you really imagine we replace them every ten years or so?

Could be a coastal situation where the infrastructure gets corroded quite quick, couple that with an upgrade from 10 to 20 kV then throw in a storm or two, it’s possible infrastructure can be replaced that often, however it wouldn’t be the norm. 30 years would be average lifespan.

Electricity going off every fortnight is more than likely a problem with your house, if others are affected I presume it has been reported to ESB if not then got onto them, you could have an intermittent fault on a single phase spur on the network or something like that.

tom1ie wrote: »
    What the hell is an ESB fanboy? I enjoy the aul electricity, does that make me an ESB fanboy?

Yes....seemingly so

ESB have the highest fanboy ratio in Ireland :-) who dislikes electricity?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

See the Green / bicycle loons have shut down Malahide now. On and on the fantasy goes
    Seriously, what is wrong with you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Garzard

Jizique wrote: »
    Diesels should be banned from built up areas ergo no SUVs; no problem with a land cruiser out the country but it doesn’t have a role in towns and cities; if the height of our ambition is a >2t vehicles to allow a single person of 80-90kg to commute, we really haven’t evolved much

I tend to take hardly any notice of people's choice of cars, but I can kind of see the anti-SUV side when I look at it for a minute. Crossovers like Qashqai's, Jukes, Toyota CHR's etc. are one thing - it's the likes of Audi Q7's, Jag F-Paces, Volvo XC series and huge Range Rover types are what I've an issue with. Surely SUV's of that size are more intended for large families with a life of outdoor activities? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel they've become much more of a ''soccermom'' fashion trend with nothing else in mind, and I very rarely see huge SUV's like those being packed to capacity with families and outdoor equipment for a weekend away; rather, they generally appear to be occupied by a single woman on rush hour who has barely a clue how to drive the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Jizique

Garzard wrote: »
    I tend to take hardly any notice of people's choice of cars, but I can kind of see the anti-SUV side when I look at it for a minute. Crossovers like Qashqai's, Jukes, Toyota CHR's etc. are one thing - it's the likes of Audi Q7's, Jag F-Paces, Volvo XC series and huge Range Rover types are what I've an issue with. Surely SUV's of that size are more intended for large families with a life of outdoor activities? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel they've become much more of a ''soccermom'' fashion trend with nothing else in mind, and I very rarely see huge SUV's like those being packed to capacity with families and outdoor equipment for a weekend away; rather, they generally appear to be occupied by a single woman on rush hour who has barely a clue how to drive the thing.

As families have got smaller, cars have got larger

• Advertisement

As families have got smaller, cars have got larger

And bigger cars are very much a necessity even with one child. A large estate or SUV is simply a must if you want any comfort, a modern travel system for a child will fill the boot of a normal “family” hatchback on its own so trying to manage with a car this size would be a total pain and total hardship really even going to do the shopping as there is no room.

Some people appear very willing to put up with the hardship of living in tiny houses and struggling around with tiny cars inadequate for their needs.

And bigger cars are very much a necessity even with one child. A large estate or SUV is simply a must if you want any comfort, a modern travel system for a child will fill the boot of a normal “family” hatchback on its own so trying to manage with a car this size would be a total pain and total hardship really even going to do the shopping as there is no room.

Some people appear very willing to put up with the hardship of living in tiny houses and struggling around with tiny cars inadequate for their needs.
    Such utter crap!

Such utter crap!

Absolute facts obvious to anyone with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Garzard wrote: »

Always the nannying jelousy. This time with a little topping of misogyny.

Did a pretty girl, way out of your league, in a Land Rover drive past you as you grunted uphill through the rain on your bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Jizique

I need to take a trip to the US again to remind myself that larger cars are truly the future for society

Absolute facts obvious to anyone with experience.
    I've raised children. I know what is involved. I stand by my comment that your post above was utter crap.

I've raised children. I know what is involved. I stand by my comment that your post above was utter crap.

And my experience tells me otherwise you cannot physically fit what’s needed in many situations into a hatch back or normal saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I need to take a trip to the US again to remind myself that larger cars are truly the future for society

Or to China in the 1950's to remind us what Eamonn has in store for us

And my experience tells me otherwise you cannot physically fit what’s needed in many situations into a hatch back or normal saloon.

Well I have kids, too many and sorry but your talking out of your bum

If you walk around a car park with all these suv you can clearly see people have no idea how to drive them, the game of pick a panel without a bang is interestin. Plus meet them on a N road and they can’t even judge the size of the thing

Plus you will find the likes of France etc where small cars are the norm they have no issues at all. If you wanted the Netflix F1 documentary, they had the boss of the Renault F1 team, on millions, he was drivi around in a ....... Clio :-)

So humour us and tell us what necessities you have in your boot for your kids that you won'tfit in a normal car?
    I've even been to France on hols with the family in a RWD car (which would have a shallower boot) and packed travel cot, buggy, bags of clothes, pillows & sleeping bags, cleaning stuff and everything else my wife can think of. It all managed to fit fine!

• Advertisement

So humour us and tell us what necessities you have in your boot for your kids that you won'tfit in a normal car?
    I've even been to France on hols with the family in a RWD car (which would have a shallower boot) and packed travel cot, buggy, bags of clothes, pillows & sleeping bags, cleaning stuff and everything else my wife can think of. It all managed to fit fine!

Bad planning and bad buying is the only reason you can’t fit equipment into a car....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I get your point you but it's a bit vague unless you can you tell us what car? Estate or saloon?

I get your point you but it's a bit vague unless you can you tell us what car? Estate or saloon?
    Both E30 3 series and E39 5 series saloon. We've also managed to pack that stuff into a Pug 206 and Seat Leon for some weekend trips within Ireland.

Would you care to answer my question now please?

A modern travel cot and buggy will fill the boot of most standard hatch back (golf size) alone. Saloons like the 5 series have a bigger boot but are awkward and you can’t stack as high. I’m not going spending ages listing off what people might want to carry but I am saying that in my experience there are many cases where you couldn’t physically fit all the things you might want in anything other than a large estate or SUV and in a lot more cases you are making compromises, things are awkward etc.

Look people can’t afford to buy the right tools for the job but the fact is some of us can and won’t make do with compromises and awkwardness or simply not having something adequate for your needs.

A modern travel cot and buggy will fill the boot of most standard hatch back (golf size) alone. Saloons like the 5 series have a bigger boot but are awkward and you can’t stack as high. I’m not going spending ages listing off what people might want to carry but I am saying that in my experience there are many cases where you couldn’t physically fit all the things you might want in anything other than a large estate or SUV and in a lot more cases you are making compromises, things are awkward etc.

Look people can’t afford to buy the right tools for the job but the fact is some of us can and won’t make do with compromises and awkwardness or simply not having something adequate for your needs.
    The E39 boot is not big and the opening limits what you can get in. The current 308 is much bigger than the E39.
    Nonetheless I got it to fit quite easily. I also got bags, travel cot, buggy and other kinds of crap into a small Pug and still had room for the myriad of crap my wife insists on packing.
    Large estates and SUVs are not needed by the majority of owners. Lets call a spade a spade: the purchase was made as a preference and not a necessity. Youve effectively confirmed this with your last paragraph.

I take 2 adults and 4 kids in Golf, that’s kids from 7 to baby. In car will have bugaboo, travel cot with mattress, then standard bags etc for kids and family, that all goes in car for a weekend without any issue....that’s perfectly comfortable as well

No idea why anyone would say you need to compromise or be ark ward?

We also have SUVbut prefer the Golf

The E39 boot is not big and the opening limits what you can get in. The current 308 is much bigger than the E39.
    Nonetheless I got it to fit quite easily. I also got bags, travel cot, buggy and other kinds of crap into a small Pug and still had room for the myriad of crap my wife insists on packing.
    Large estates and SUVs are not needed by the majority of owners. Lets call a spade a spade: the purchase was made as a preference and not a necessity. Youve effectively confirmed this with your last paragraph.

Well I regularly fill to the boot of the largest estate you can buy, right to the roof of the car and barely able to get the boot closed along with pretty much filling the back seats also. I could not physically manage with anything smaller and I regularly see people struggling to manage with smaller cars than they need and frankly it’s looks like a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Ryan wouldn't be my first choice from the Green TDs, but he's certainly got the best handle of the transport brief of any minister in a long time and he has a genuine passion for it too. I look forward to seeing how he gets on. The €360m a year for walking and cycling could be a game-changer for urban transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I take 2 adults and 4 kids in Golf, that’s kids from 7 to baby. In car will have bugaboo, travel cot with mattress, then standard bags etc for kids and family, that all goes in car for a weekend without any issue....that’s perfectly comfortable as well

No idea why anyone would say you need to compromise or be ark ward?

We also have SUVbut prefer the Golf

How do belts work on back seat, 4 kids ,3 belts?

• Advertisement

How do belts work on back seat, 4 kids ,3 belts?

Magic

or Multimac. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement