Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi applying for permission in Tuam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Great news alright. Don't see planning number yet.

And is there anything that can be done to counter the pending RGDATA objection

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Great news alright. Don't see planning number yet.

And is there anything that can be done to counter the pending RGDATA objection

Yes, a petition in support by locals can go a long way

Not that it will come as a surprise, but RGDATA have lodged an objection

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/30/4168478-grocers-group-object-to-aldi-big-box/

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

DaCor wrote: »
    https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/12/05/4166050-aldi-set-sights-on-tuam-town-centre/

Hopefully they get it

However, it's depressing to know that Joyce's voicebox, RGData, will be lodging their usual copy and paste objections.

Why do you say 'Joyces' are the objectors?
    Its widely believed in Tuam that O'Tooles Supervalu are the serial objectors in matters such as these. I've never before heard mention of Joyces and I'd be grateful for any proof you could provide. I shop in Joyces but am willing to take my custom elsewhere if Joyces are preventing progress in Tuam.

• Advertisement

bagels wrote: »
    Its widely believed in Tuam that O'Tooles Supervalu are the serial objectors in matters such as these. I've never before heard mention of Joyces and I'd be grateful for any proof you could provide. I shop in Joyces but am willing to take my custom elsewhere if Joyces are preventing progress in Tuam.

Call it a consistent pattern.

Where there's a Joyce's, you will ALWAYS see RGDATA lodging objections to developments from Tesco, Aldi or Lidl.

Plenty of RGDATA objections long before Joyces came to Tuam.

Joyces only opened in 2010, before that the Anchor Tenant was Costcutter.

So maybe they (O'Tooles & Joyces) have joined forces, however I'm only guessing.

I had to laugh at the nature assessment and impact to Bats. No such concern when the old road, walls and trees were bulldozed for the large carpark.

Anyway, all previous RGDATA objections centered around sustaining the Town Centre etc and that out of town developments pull business out of such areas. Now that Aldi are tring to locate in the Town centre, the RGDATA pack are clutching at straws and hopefully Galway CoCo or ABP will see this and grant permission.

Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bagels wrote: »

The term "dogs in the street" come to mind here

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

That location is a large space that is central - the place for a tastefully designed purpose built cinema complex, theatre, civic centre, museum, trendy bars, trendy coffee shops, trendy food market etc. I like ALDIs but that location, imo, is wrong (just as it would be wrong for TESCO or Dunnes etc). If a town is expanding, and all persons seem to have cars nowadays, large tracts of peripheral locations are available for retail developments. If Tuam wishes to become a separate independent entity from Galway with its own identity rather than just another satellite town, then it needs to build up civic and entertainment reasons to amble into town rather than putting large retail outlets into its core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Regardless of who’s right or wrong re planning what you have here is a chain store from another country coming into a provincial town .
    This will be spinned as creating 20 jobs but will lead to the loss of at least 40 more on other stores in Tuam and surrounding villages plus the stores profits will be transferred out of North Galway to Germany each week and gone forever out of the area.
    Happening everywhere unfortunately . Not sure what can be done but rural Ireland is in meltdown .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Is there any update on the planing process?

I thought I'd read that a decision was due in February.

Dev1234 wrote: »

Looking for changes

http://gccapps.galwaycoco.ie/ViewPlanningDocuments/ViewPDF?ref=2211423

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Dev1234 wrote: »

From today's herald

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Tuam doesnt need aldi its does need a cinema so we can avoid going to galway we are well served grocery wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Advertisement