Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

Ar_14 wrote: »
    'Michaels were missing four/five Leinster reps today. Also interesting choice of referee for the Leinster branch, is he not an ex-rock man?

nick McCarthy,steve Harold,denis Coulson and?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

6dsp9 wrote: »

nick McCarthy,steve Harold,denis Coulson and?

Alex Penny, normally 7. There was also no 2nds game due to injuries in 'Michaels is what i have been told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Anonymous874

Blackrock we're missing 3 Leinster players from their 15 as well, not really a disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I would have thought 'Michaels had the squad to cope with 3 or 4 injured players. 'Rock are not that great. Terenure-albeit a full strength one-hammered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I would have thought 'Michaels had the squad to cope with 3 or 4 injured players. 'Rock are not that great. Terenure-albeit a full strength one-hammered them.

Four Leinster players missing from Michaels and many others as the other game had to be cancelled. Although, good win for Rock. Anyone know if the ref was an ex-rock man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Anonymous874

How can you say Rock aren't that great based on one game when they've won every game since? This includes wins in clongowes michaels and over in England against Ivybridge aka Exeter Chiefs academy. They lost away to a full strength terenure while they were down 5 players and they led that game at half time and were only 4 points downwind 5 minutes to go

How can you say Rock aren't that great based on one game when they've won every game since? This includes wins in clongowes michaels and over in England against Ivybridge aka Exeter Chiefs academy. They lost away to a full strength terenure while they were down 5 players and they led that game at half time and were only 4 points downwind 5 minutes to go

you can never write off rock I think,they have the mental edge cos they've won so much,simple as

'Rock scored last in that match right in the corner and converted so they were 38-13 down and Terenure had a man in the bin. How can you say they were only four points down with 5 minutes to go? Also-'Rocks only other try was a defensive mix up by Terenure when the full back and left winger went for the same garryowen.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    'Rock scored last in that match right in the corner and converted so they were 38-13 down and Terenure had a man in the bin. How can you say they were only four points down with 5 minutes to go? Also-'Rocks only other try was a defensive mix up by Terenure when the full back and left winger went for the same garryowen.

You can find an excuse for every try that's scored. Take Gonzaga's game vs terenure last year for example. Nures first try came because the Gonzaga second row didn't fall on the ball properly,their second came from a centre not pushing out,and their third came from a block down where,again,they only had to fall on the ball over the line

6dsp9 wrote: »
    You can find an excuse for every try that's scored. Take Gonzaga's game vs terenure last year for example. Nures first try came because the Gonzaga second row didn't fall on the ball properly,their second came from a centre not pushing out,and their third came from a block down where,again,they only had to fall on the ball over the line

If me auntie had balls...my point is 'Rock only scored one try that they created themselves and that's when Terenure had a man in the bin. Terenure created and scored five tries-all scored by the backs. Hence my point that 'Rock didn't look that great. They have obviously improved since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 the shocker

Think Mary's are gonna surprise most of the people here.

marys have gone down hill in recent years. to a stage were teams are probably more worried coming up against the likes of castleknock and roscrea

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Terrible performance by Michaels, missing players and the ref didn't help one bit but still a very sub par performance. Oisin O Meara the centre for michaels looks very good and only in 4th year. I noticed there is a fair few 4th years on the Michaels squad. Probably a combination of a poor 5th year and strong 4th year. James Ryan is another great player from 4th year.

Come cup time performances will need to be better, I'd say the lads know this themselves.

Still think Rock don't have a chance against an in form Nure or Michaels though. Two horse race IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

marys have gone down hill in recent years. to a stage were teams are probably more worried coming up against the likes of castleknock and roscrea

And that's why they will surprise people no one expects anything. Also recent years? More like last two years. As far as I can remember they ran Clongowes the closest in 2010.

And that's why they will surprise people no one expects anything. Also recent years? More like last two years. As far as I can remember they ran Clongowes the closest in 2010.

They haven't done anything in Js rugby in years. In fairness you can't blame people for not having blind faith. I've seen this Mary's team in action and I would describe them as ordinary. Lacking in the pack. Could well surprise us, but don't think they can bluff their way through rock, michaels and Nure.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

I wasn't at the match today between Rock and Michaels but I have noticed a few interesting things. Sean Coughlan, the Leinster U19 No. 8 has moved back to wing, his original position. He played in the back row against Nure when Nure beat them and then has been playing wing since. Any idea where he was playing today? Also, every year it seems that Michaels are missing Leinster representives for the whole year almost and then they all miraculously recover for pre Cup time. Could be a case of resting key players and wrapping them in cotton wool almost. Not just Michaels I've noticed suffering from this, other big schools too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    I wasn't at the match today between Rock and Michaels but I have noticed a few interesting things. Sean Coughlan, the Leinster U19 No. 8 has moved back to wing, his original position.

Ahhh that makes sense. I've been seeing photos of 'Rock's recent games and I kept noticing that the left wing was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leinster99

There rate of improvement has been fantastic under Hugh Hogan and I can see it continuing. At the start of the season they got thrashed by Rock and Methody looking at the team now they're on a completely different level. They beat Clongowes and could have won by more and while the score in the match against the gick looks bad it was 13-6 with 7 minutes to go. At that time they'd just had a huge maul and won a penalty in an attacking position. They chose to kick. If they'd got it it would have been 13-9 and a completely different game instead they missed and were visibly deflated. They also had to go for broke and start playing from deep leading to the next two tries.

They're probably the smallest of the big teams yet they have a scrum that works smartly and can when it gets it right can really get a shove on, they also have a strong maul. There defense has also improved at an incredible rate and probably will continue to do so this is also complimented by a really good ground game. There ball skills across the park are also pretty good.

They've had a number of injuries this season which for a school of their number is hard to take. While the coaches have also done a lot of experimentation playing a 9 at 10, a 10 at 15/12, a flanker at prop and another flanker at centre. The same team has not been played twice in a row. Now the players are either beginning to grow into those roles are were moved back to their positions.

Their big weaknesses are a lack of a real linebreaker, a tendency to put themselves under pressure and a lack of strength in depth in some positions.

Also the way some are talking about them on this thread it won't be hard for them to surprise people.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Can you resend the link that you were talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

8 to wing is an odd move.

I wasn't at the match today between Rock and Michaels but I have noticed a few interesting things. Sean Coughlan, the Leinster U19 No. 8 has moved back to wing, his original position. He played in the back row against Nure when Nure beat them and then has been playing wing since. Any idea where he was playing today? Also, every year it seems that Michaels are missing Leinster representives for the whole year almost and then they all miraculously recover for pre Cup time. Could be a case of resting key players and wrapping them in cotton wool almost. Not just Michaels I've noticed suffering from this, other big schools too.

Yeah he was playing wing today, played well enough, didn't get the ball much in the second half but in the first he made some nice breaks. Certainly has the pace for wing. Rock have a pretty good pack overall and their backs are also good, a very solid outfit. Only major weakness is their scrum(going from today anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

goreyguy wrote: »
    8 to wing is an odd move.

Wing forward? that's how I read it.

• Advertisement

Profiler wrote: »

Wing forward? that's how I read it.

Nope he moved to wing. Like Brewer moving between backrow and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Nope he moved to wing. Like Brewer moving between backrow and centre.

Well that is ,like goreyguy said, a strange move.

They haven't done anything in Js rugby in years. In fairness you can't blame people for not having blind faith. I've seen this Mary's team in action and I would describe them as ordinary. Lacking in the pack. Could well surprise us, but don't think they can bluff their way through rock, michaels and Nure.

Not asking anyone to have blind faith. Marys aren't the sort of school to do well at Js where size counts for so much, though this years team is decent. Anyway that's why I said they could surprise people as people like you aren't expecting much so it's not too hard. Anyway they've got Michaels Sunday should be interesting. Of course after me talking them up they'll probably play crap.

leinster99 wrote: »
    Can you resend the link that you were talking about?

Not a link was meant to be a smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Who will qualify through the Vinnie Murray to people think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charliemant

Terenure cbc cork results senior and junior ??

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

Senior League quarter finals this Wednesday, I know that Presentation and Gonzaga are in one, who are CBC playing? Can anyone fill in the blanks for the quarter final draw for me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Senior League quarter finals this Wednesday, I know that Presentation and Gonzaga are in one, who are CBC playing? Can anyone fill in the blanks for the quarter final draw for me please?
    Look at post 318 in provincial schools thread
    Some results are not on the leinster website so maybe some games havent been played therefore some quarters may not be played this week

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Terenure cbc cork results senior and junior ??
    The senior game is tomorrow at 2

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested Orna Cassidy Photography has some great photos from today's 'Michaels 'Rock match on FB. As a matter of interest-who was the 'Michaels no 4 playing today? He is absolutely huge. Actually-the whole 'Michaels pack looks huge. Fair play to 'Rock-it's not about the size of the dog in the fight afterall...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement