Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

Hagz wrote: »
    I must say I like Jack Fitzpatrick. I don't think he's the most threatening player with ball in hand, but I think he's quite an intelligent and skilled footballer. I watched him play in last seasons senior cup and he was brilliant. His effort was what you want from your captain (at least I think he was captain) and I remember he had to be taken off with a concussion or something. He gave it bloody everything.

One small thing was his ball placement. It's a very minor detail but it's a sign of a smart player. Every time he went to ground he put the ball on a plate for his scrum-half.

You say he's "surely" better than Byrne, but I don't know about that. Byrne is much more of a threat when he's on the ball imo. I would like to see Fitzpatrick get more opportunities though.

Takes a knowledgeable eye to notice his ball placement,which I agree is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

anyone know when the draw for the vinnie murray is ?

Dardis is a magical player, he is sure to set the cup alight this year

my word there was a lot of tomfoolery earlier,all sorts of awful things being said. back to rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Leinster5

Blackrock play 'Michaels in St. Michaels. KO @ 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

6dsp9 wrote: »
    my word there was a lot of tomfoolery earlier,all sorts of awful things being said. back to rugby!

Nothing to see here, move along.

.ak wrote: »
    Nothing to see here, move along.

.ak you're like my knight in shining armour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Think Mary's are gonna surprise most of the people here.

Think Mary's are gonna surprise most of the people here.

I'm interested elaborate

I'm interested elaborate

There rate of improvement has been fantastic under Hugh Hogan and I can see it continuing. At the start of the season they got thrashed by Rock and Methody looking at the team now they're on a completely different level. They beat Clongowes and could have won by more and while the score in the match against the gick looks bad it was 13-6 with 7 minutes to go. At that time they'd just had a huge maul and won a penalty in an attacking position. They chose to kick. If they'd got it it would have been 13-9 and a completely different game instead they missed and were visibly deflated. They also had to go for broke and start playing from deep leading to the next two tries.

They're probably the smallest of the big teams yet they have a scrum that works smartly and can when it gets it right can really get a shove on, they also have a strong maul. There defense has also improved at an incredible rate and probably will continue to do so this is also complimented by a really good ground game. There ball skills across the park are also pretty good.

They've had a number of injuries this season which for a school of their number is hard to take. While the coaches have also done a lot of experimentation playing a 9 at 10, a 10 at 15/12, a flanker at prop and another flanker at centre. The same team has not been played twice in a row. Now the players are either beginning to grow into those roles are were moved back to their positions.

Their big weaknesses are a lack of a real linebreaker, a tendency to put themselves under pressure and a lack of strength in depth in some positions.

Also the way some are talking about them on this thread it won't be hard for them to surprise people.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

There rate of improvement has been fantastic under Hugh Hogan and I can see it continuing. At the start of the season they got thrashed by Rock and Methody looking at the team now they're on a completely different level. They beat Clongowes and could have won by more and while the score in the match against the gick looks bad it was 13-6 with 7 minutes to go. At that time they'd just had a huge maul and won a penalty in an attacking position. They chose to kick. If they'd got it it would have been 13-9 and a completely different game instead they missed and were visibly deflated. They also had to go for broke and start playing from deep leading to the next two tries.

They're probably the smallest of the big teams yet they have a scrum that works smartly and can when it gets it right can really get a shove on, they also have a strong maul. There defense has also improved at an incredible rate and probably will continue to do so this is also complimented by a really good ground game. There ball skills across the park are also pretty good.

They've had a number of injuries this season which for a school of their number is hard to take. While the coaches have also done a lot of experimentation playing a 9 at 10, a 10 at 15/12, a flanker at prop and another flanker at centre. The same team has not been played twice in a row. Now the players are either beginning to grow into those roles are were moved back to their positions.

Their big weaknesses are a lack of a real linebreaker, a tendency to put themselves under pressure and a lack of strength in depth in some positions.

Also the way some are talking about them on this thread it won't be hard for them to surprise people.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Interesting. I do remember when Terenure won the junior cup in 2010-while they put 20 points on Clongowes and 31 points on 'Michaels-they only beat 'Mary's 8-6 in the first round so I am not really surprised they are improving.

When is marys next match? Would like to see them play ?

When is marys next match? Would like to see them play ?

Ballymena tomorrow. As I understand it very experimental team. Michaels next week in Kennelworth I believe. Better chance to judge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Michaels rock will be a great clash.The more i hear about Rock's recent performances the more i think they could seriously challenge Michaels and Terenure.I still expect them to lose tomorrow though.

funtime93 wrote: »
    Michaels rock will be a great clash.The more i hear about Rock's recent performances the more i think they could seriously challenge Michaels and Terenure.I still expect them to lose tomorrow though.

expect wrong you did young one,rock won about 17 7 or something,two triesto one anyway,cracking game to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Anonymous874

Blackrock won 19-7 and that's a scoreline that flatters Michaels

expect wrong you did young one,rock won about 17 7 or something,two triesto one anyway,cracking game to watch

Great win for 'Rock. How many were 'Michaels missing?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Great win for 'Rock. How many were 'Michaels missing?

funny you should assume that,none really from what I could see,denis Coulson is the only one I can think of,was a fairly full team. Jager wasn't playing for rock

Michaels missing 4/5 I think Rock missing 2/3

funny you should assume that,none really from what I could see,denis Coulson is the only one I can think of,was a fairly full team. Jager wasn't playing for rock

Wasn't assuming anything it's just someone credible earlier in the week said 'Michaels had a load of injuries. If they had a full team out as you say then it's a great win for 'Rock. Funny you say Jager wasn't playing-he didn't play against Terenure either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Very poor performance by Michales again,rock deserved winners.Terenure seem firm favourites now,nyone know when Michales next match is?

Michaels missing 4/5 I think Rock missing 2/3

can you give names? It didn't look like either team were missing many
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Wasn't assuming anything it's just someone credible earlier in the week said 'Michaels had a load of injuries. If they had a full team out as you say then it's a great win for 'Rock. Funny you say Jager wasn't playing-he didn't play against Terenure either.

yeah he must be injured. they had two great props though. as far as I could see both teams were pretty full,rock were incredibly persistent and most of the game took place in the michaels half,nearly their 22

I think people underestimate Rock on this to be honest, they were unlucky last year not to beat Terenure in the first round of the cup, they are major dark horses for the cup this year

Michaels we're missing nick mccarthy at scrum half Denis coulson at prop, a winger I think and a second row Harold is the name I think.
    Blackrock were missing Jäger and Gavin Tynan

Michaels we're missing nick mccarthy at scrum half Denis coulson at prop, a winger I think and a second row Harold is the name I think.
    Blackrock were missing Jäger and Gavin Tynan

dave duggan was very good at 9 for michaels but mc carthy is an important cog in the team id say. even enough injuries then. with two schools with such large playing numbers as rock and michaels have they always have the depth to carry injuries

I think people underestimate Rock on this to be honest, they were unlucky last year not to beat Terenure in the first round of the cup, they are major dark horses for the cup this year

No. They. Weren't.

dave duggan was very good at 9 for michaels but mc carthy is an important cog in the team id say. even enough injuries then. with two schools with such large playing numbers as rock and michaels have they always have the depth to carry injuries

Exactly injuries can't be used as an excuse, this match shows that the cup will not be the two horse race most are predicting

17-16? I beg to differ

17-16? I beg to differ

It was 17-15 actually. 'Rocks second try was a slam dunk and should not have been allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

'Michaels were missing four/five Leinster reps today. Also interesting choice of referee for the Leinster branch, is he not an ex-rock man?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement