Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Was it a full team out? Any injuries?

There were a few of the usual starters missing and both Billy Dardis and Rob Lawlor went off injured early on although Lawlor came back on towards the end

They can't afford to lose Dardis. They should wrap him in cotton wool fo the cup. Is Lawlor pushing for a starting spot for the cup do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Quint2010 wrote: »

They can't afford to lose Dardis. They should wrap him in cotton wool fo the cup. Is Lawlor pushing for a starting spot for the cup do you reckon?
    I think so and from today alone, I think he deserves the spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Do people really see rock as genuine contenders? Michaels destroyed this crop 3 years ago in J's semi and Terenure beat them handily enough a few weeks back. I'd be far more positive about their chances next year no?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

funtime93 wrote: »
    Do people really see rock as genuine contenders? Michaels destroyed this crop 3 years ago in J's semi and Terenure beat them handily enough a few weeks back. I'd be far more positive about their chances next year no?

I wouldn't consider them serious contenders but certainly they could be dark horses. Still have a decent squad with some handy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

They're considered to be the best of the chasing pack. This year there is a huge gulf between the favourites (Michael's and Gick) and everyone else, with Rock being the strongest of the chasing pack by a good bit. Clongowes are a good step down from Blackrock whereas Belvo and Mary's aren't in with a shout at all. No one from the league looks like they can bring much to the table either.

Hence there's a lot of talk about the 'Rock even though they are underdogs as they're the competition's best hope for an upset against either Nure or Mary's although it would be a VERY big upset.

• Advertisement

They're considered to be the best of the chasing pack. This year there is a huge gulf between the favourites (Michael's and Gick) and everyone else, with Rock being the strongest of the chasing pack by a good bit. Clongowes are a good step down from Blackrock whereas Belvo and Mary's aren't in with a shout at all. No one from the league looks like they can bring much to the table either.

Hence there's a lot of talk about the 'Rock even though they are underdogs as they're the competition's best hope for an upset against either Nure or Mary's although it would be a VERY big upset.

Presume you mean 'Nure or 'Michaels there. I saw 'Rock when they played Terenure and they do have a good pack and half backs. The final score was38-20. Jaeger was missing for 'Rock that day and Timoney went off at HT so if they have both of those players back I wouldn't discount them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Castleknock have posted impressive scores.

themont85 wrote: »
    Castleknock have posted impressive scores.

Absolutely. I think they are a team the other big guns will want to avoid in the draw.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Presume you mean 'Nure or 'Michaels there. I saw 'Rock when they played Terenure and they do have a good pack and half backs. The final score was38-20. Jaeger was missing for 'Rock that day and Timoney went off at HT so if they have both of those players back I wouldn't discount them.

Yes Michaels sorry don't know where Mary's came from there!

Are zaga any good at all?They always flatter to deceive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 podo

Rock are always good. Knock have a good pedigree, Michaels are a boom school,

• Registered Users Posts: 15 67John67

Heard from a very reliable source today that Michaels are going to pay Dan Leavy to come back and play for the school! Leavy dropped out of college last week and Michaels are willing to pay him more than Leinster are

67John67 wrote: »
    Heard from a very reliable source today that Michaels are going to pay Dan Leavy to come back and play for the school! Leavy dropped out of college last week and Michaels are willing to pay him more than Leinster are

you should be a comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

As a first time poster and a long time admirer of cup rugby in Leinster, I'm really keen to know how my alma mater of Cistercian College Roscrea are doing this year? I followed the U18 Schools this summer and through the Interprovincials and was heartened to see the number of CCR boys involved! I attended the matches against St Michaels last year and was devastated, as were all the lads. (I had a relative on the team last year). Really hope to see them go far this year with Heffernan, Moloney and Brennan coming through from their Schools success! Hon the Crea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    As a first time poster and a long time admirer of cup rugby in Leinster, I'm really keen to know how my alma mater of Cistercian College Roscrea are doing this year? I followed the U18 Schools this summer and through the Interprovincials and was heartened to see the number of CCR boys involved! I attended the matches against St Michaels last year and was devastated, as were all the lads. (I had a relative on the team last year). Really hope to see them go far this year with Heffernan, Moloney and Brennan coming through from their Schools success! Hon the Crea!

As far as I know,the seniors are third in their league and play Castleknock tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

id love to know what they feed you down there Fosi? many of the Crea team look like young heffers when they take the field,especially in their black and white jerseys! ;) :pac: :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hayden1994

67John67 wrote: »
    If you aren't joking all players who are repeating have to be passed by a Leinster branch hearing to play and that their reason for repeating is academic not based on rugby , even if they are the correct age

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Are zaga any good at all?They always flatter to deceive

As a Gonzaga fan, I can tell you yes. We have the best half back pairing in the competition and the centres wouldn't be far off.
    However, every cup team have two taboos over their heads that they can't seen to break: We've never beaten a "big six" in the cup and we've never gotten part the quarter final. Any time we seen close to doing either we fall short. The 2008 (I think) team should have beaten Belvo in the quarters but our Irish international out half missed 5 or 6 penalties. They genuinely could have won the Cup. The 2011 team lost two hands all year and were dumped out by a painfully average Terenure. It's very frustrating.
    This year's side have a top-class attitude though and even if we don't win I think these guys could be the year to beat a "big six", particularly with Belvo and Mary's looking very weak.
    To answer your question, we'll see how the draw goes, but I think we'll do well this year.

Ah it was a great time when I was there, graduated in 2008! Great food, and lots of it!

I haven't heard anything as of yet, but I'll get onto my nephew and see what he can find out about this Islander! I wonder if this guy was recruited or if he has links down there or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

Ah it was a great time when I was there, graduated in 2008! Great food, and lots of it!

whats the training schedule like Fosi? what with it being 7 day boarding and that.

It was intense enough. We'd do a fair bit of scrummaging alright, and the fitness on our Senior pitch was brutal but we had great camaradrie! The lads would be training 6 days a week with an optional bitta individual skills on Sunday, lineouts, kicking, etc.

As a Gonzaga fan, I can tell you yes. We have the best half back pairing in the competition and the centres wouldn't be far off.
    However, every cup team have two taboos over their heads that they can't seen to break: We've never beaten a "big six" in the cup and we've never gotten part the quarter final. Any time we seen close to doing either we fall short. The 2008 (I think) team should have beaten Belvo in the quarters but our Irish international out half missed 5 or 6 penalties. They genuinely could have won the Cup. The 2011 team lost two hands all year and were dumped out by a painfully average Terenure. It's very frustrating.
    This year's side have a top-class attitude though and even if we don't win I think these guys could be the year to beat a "big six", particularly with Belvo and Mary's looking very weak.
    To answer your question, we'll see how the draw goes, but I think we'll do well this year.

I thought they were fairly beaten in the '09 quarter final given that they had never beaten that Belvedere team in a friendly, had a penalty count of 10+ in their favour during the 2nd half and enjoyed 5+ minutes of extra time. Also I don't think they were ever serious cup contenders that year, despite making it to the Junior final in '06 (having been brought to a replay by Pres Bray in the quarters I think and beating quite an average Newbridge side in the semi) given the amount by which they lost to 'Rock in the final.

I thought they were fairly beaten in the '09 quarter final given that they had never beaten that Belvedere team in a friendly, had a penalty count of 10+ in their favour during the 2nd half and enjoyed 5+ minutes of extra time. Also I don't think they were ever serious cup contenders that year, despite making it to the Junior final in '06 (having been brought to a replay by Pres Bray in the quarters I think and beating quite an average Newbridge side in the semi) given the amount by which they lost to 'Rock in the final.

They definitely should have beaten rock in 2006 or 2007 cant remember which exactly. It finished 6-3 or something like that to rock and gonzaga completely dominated the whole game and i think rock may have even gone on to win the cup that year

Im aware of their half backs but who are the centres? Would they match up to the likes of Leavy and Brewer

They definitely should have beaten rock in 2006 or 2007 cant remember which exactly. It finished 6-3 or something like that to rock and gonzaga completely dominated the whole game and i think rock may have even gone on to win the cup that year

That was Senior Cup '07, 'Rock were atrocious that year and deservedly went out the next round to Kilkenny. Michael's won that year for the first time ever (6-5 or 6-3) against Clongowes. Very evenly matched cup that year as I recall.

That was Senior Cup '07, 'Rock were atrocious that year and deservedly went out the next round to Kilkenny. Michael's won that year for the first time ever (6-5 or 6-3) against Clongowes. Very evenly matched cup that year as I recall.

Ah yes that was the final played in a hailstorm,the last year with the old stand in Donnybrook aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is Conal O'Brolchain one of the centres? He was decent in the one match I saw him in, against Nure. Not as good as the Nure centres though, but still good.

Ah yes that was the final played in a hailstorm,the last year with the old stand in Donnybrook aswell

Them's were the days alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

given the quality of players produced by gonzaga, strange their record is so poor in big games - their coach is meant to be good, it used to be all the good coaches went to Clongowes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement