Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

cant verify my identity online so i have to post my return i presume?

that extends the period of receipt from 12 business days to 50....what a blow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Batgurl wrote: »
    Migration agent fees - no. Tax agent fees - yes.

And despite being told on boards that you can't claim back health insurance fees, my provider has yet again sent me a statement with my rebate amount which my tax agent said I can claim back so .... who knows!

are you talking about the health insurance government rebate that's on your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

give it another two weeks or so and your company will have lodged their payg return or the bank will have submitted your interest record (if you gave your tfn and earned interest)

then you wil be able to be verified on e-tax

Legend100 wrote: »
    give it another two weeks or so and your company will have lodged their payg return or the bank will have submitted your interest record (if you gave your tfn and earned interest)

then you wil be able to be verified on e-tax

cool, cheers boss

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Anybody get their return yet? lodged mine last wednesday so hoping to hear something early next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Etax website is such a pain in the arse. Having to log in every time they ask you a question. I also dont like the way they question every single thing you put down.

They even questioned my rural tax credit thingy which is not even listed on their site, I had to bring it up. Im sorry Im using them again. Next year for sure I am calling into an agent on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

manlad wrote: »
    Anybody get their return yet? lodged mine last wednesday so hoping to hear something early next week.

No not yet. Got $3500 big ones comin my way :cool:

No not yet. Got $3500 big ones comin my way :cool:

Near enough the same as myself. I'm back in Ireland now so it kind of feels like free money. The Superannuation did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kfc1210

I am slightly worried about mine, i have used an accountant for the last 2 years and i came home in April and i met him before i left to discuss it and he nows im not coming back...

I have emailed him my group certs and nothin yet, im aware it takes up to 10 working days but im wondering does he have to put his details in as an accountant to lodge it? Its hardly a thing you would get scammed at is it?!

manlad wrote: »

Lodged mine on the night of Friday the 5th and refund is in my account today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Went to do my return today with an accountant he said I had to have a medicare exemption vert or i'd lose out on 4 grand! Does everyone get these? I didnt last year like? I think I sent a letter off for one and got some weird response about 4 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

colman1212 wrote: »
    Went to do my return today with an accountant he said I had to have a medicare exemption vert or i'd lose out on 4 grand! Does everyone get these? I didnt last year like? I think I sent a letter off for one and got some weird response about 4 months later.

Yea, they seem to be cracking down on that this year.

My agent told me the same even though I didn't get one last year. Should only take 2 weeks he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

colman1212 wrote: »

Yup I did one last year and again this year. Pain in the tits as you have to get every page of your passport signed etc

Lodged mine on the night of Friday the 5th and refund is in my account today :D

how did you manage to verify your identity so quickly?

If it is not your first tax return, you can verify your identity with last years assessment

Got my return yesterday morning, took exactly 5 days. Just a pity the exchange rate is absolutely shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please enter all tax questions in here.
    I'll make sticky for a month, as there will be a lot of tax questions.

I'm sorry in the delay of creating this.

Please note, the tax thread of 2012 contains a shed load of info and can be found here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056688769

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Hi
    I'm a new bee to this tax return - arrived in January 2013 on PR visa and started work at end of Feb. What do I do? log on to etax and complete the form - is that correct?
    I don't have private health cover - do I need to get it - a person in work said U will get charged a lot of tax cause I don't have private health cover. Anyone have experience of this

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So i'm going to apply for my medicare exemption cert today (once i get everything signed off). Should i wait to get it before claiming my tax back, or hope i just don't get asked for it?

In theory you should wait, but if you have been on a WHV/457 for the entire tax year, then apply without it. But do apply for it as if 2/3 years down the line they ask for it you have it.

(which happened to me, luckily medicare had a record of my application)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've only been working since April, so i might wait. Is there any penalty to not doing your tax return for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I was unable to fill out the 2012 tax return due to not being able to verify my identity, first time trying to use e-tax.

I tried again for 2013 and same issue.

Went onto the website and eventually found the the link for the paper return. Turns out there's no option to download it so I've had to request it to be posted to me in Ireland.

Absolute joke.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I was unable to fill out the 2012 tax return due to not being able to verify my identity, first time trying to use e-tax.

I tried again for 2013 and same issue.

Went onto the website and eventually found the the link for the paper return. Turns out there's no option to download it so I've had to request it to be posted to me in Ireland.

Absolute joke.

When you did your 2012 return, they would have sent you an assessment in the post of your liability/refund (usually about two or three days after you get your refund)

Did you keep this? (Advice to everyone by the way is to make sure to hang onto this for 2013!!!)

If you have it, there is a reference number on it that will enable to you to be immediately verified for 2013

Kiith wrote: »
    I've only been working since April, so i might wait. Is there any penalty to not doing your tax return for a few weeks?

You have until Oct 31 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bossdon

Is there anyway to check if you ticked resident for tax purposes = Y?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hi all,

if you forgot to claim the medicare levy exemption last year can you claim it with your tax this year if you have a cert from last year and this year? (got both of mine in the post on friday) or is the october 31st cut off for this also?

aswell an accountant told me if you have private health insurance that you can claim the medicare levy surcharge!

Yes you can for last year but you will have to do an amended return (not sure if you can do amendments on e-tax, may have to do a paper return)

if you are exempt from the medicare levy, you are exempt from the medicare levy surcharge (i.e you don't need health insurance not to pay it)

Don't know what your accountant means by claiming the medicare levy surcharge - it is a tax, not a deduction??

Yes you can for last year but you will have to do an amended return (not sure if you can do amendments on e-tax, may have to do a paper return)

if you are exempt from the medicare levy, you are exempt from the medicare levy surcharge (i.e you don't need health insurance not to pay it)

Don't know what your accountant means by claiming the medicare levy surcharge - it is a tax, not a deduction??

well thats good if its all the same tax in relation to medicare and now i dont have to wait for my company to send me my insurance details.
    i dunno how this tax business works! great so i can send me stuff to the accountant today. i have my poor accountant bombarded with questions!!!

cheers folks

Oh just be careful on that point in relation to the details from your health fund.

apparently the ATO are cracking down on people not making disclosures in their returns even if it doesn't affect their liability (that's what the accounting firms are telling us at work) so maybe best to have your insurance details to make full disclosure - even though you are already exempt from the medicare levy surcharge

• Advertisement

ya thanks legend100
    i will have my insurance details if they need it, i have sent everything to the accountant now including my medicare exemption certs so ive told her if she needs it just let me know..

oh i hope i get a lot of $$$$$

Advertisement