Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EA UFC 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Yep just on now

Good fights man. It's such a messy game. Subs are broken, you'd nearly want a gentleman's agreement not to go for them. Ground and pound is so weird, like effort starts striking gets locked into it while the defender just blocks and then auto breaks posture. Ea dev said this is on purpose for to inactivity but that's bollox.

We had some good stand and bang wars, some great ground battles as well but it's not satisfying trying to finish someone on the ground.

Nate is a stamina machine but his kicks are horrible and he bleeds so easily, just like real life :)

I've heard Anik say a few times now "oh we might see a doctor stoppage" mmmm no we went Jon cuz it wasn't coded into the game.

Dev answered my question about freezing during ground and pound. I'm still a bit stumped but need more practice with it. Must try it with some of ye during the week, get into full mount and take turns attacking and defending.
    If the opponent is postured up, you're in the new GnP system. It's a somewhat isolated mode that focuses on striking and defense in grappling. While some transitions/escapes are possible, they're not the same as in regular grappling/wrestling. Holding R2 puts up your block, but your arms have health of their own and eating too many shots with weak block up will crush your block.

You need to use head movement and posting to survive longer, more technical exchanges. Just like the standup. You can't turtle forever.

Just posted on reddit that Beta is now closed. You might still be able to play today but that will be it.

Overall, I'm still looking forward to the full release. I have a feeling this will be the last UFC game by EA though. Reading a post from a dev on Operations Sports forum just sounded like he was sick of the whining, nothing they try is good enough or misunderstood and tbh, I'd probably be the same working on something for years only to have it ripped apart.

Anyway, I just long for an MMA experience like EA MMA career mode where I felt like I was efficient all round (like any mma fighter) but still learning little bits of advanced moves from different gyms. I'd try keep it standing but always felt that if it went to the ground, I could lock in a specific sub, full control of my fighter. I never got that feeling with EA UFC games.

Hoping career mode is interesting at least.

Message from the devs on the beta:
    Hey EA SPORTS UFC fans,

Thank you for playing the closed beta! As we’ve adapted to new work environments and extraordinary circumstances to develop games from home, a beta has been more critical for us this year than ever before.

One of the biggest challenges we’ve had to face is our ability to stress test servers and QA for bugs and tuning at large scale. The closed beta has enabled us to ensure we launch UFC 4 with the highest degree of stability and polish possible. That wouldn’t be possible without your help.

We’re also reading and listening to your feedback. It’s impossible for us to reply to all of it directly across forums and social platforms, but we hear you and appreciate the passion and constructive feedback for us to make this the best EA SPORTS UFC yet.

A lot of feedback we’ve seen so far is centered on gameplay controls and tuning. One of our goals this year was to address long-standing community feedback to improve the grappling, clinch, submission systems, and takedown controls; implementing more user-control and responsiveness, as well as the ability to combine grappling with seamless strikes as so many UFC fighters do in real-world MMA.

The challenge we faced in doing so was simple: the lack of available button inputs remaining on the controller. With UFC 3, adding RPM Tech to the stand-up game allowed players a great deal of control over their movement and striking, but it came at the cost of complexity in the controls and using more button combinations. The result was that players struggled with the new controls at first, but overwhelmingly became advocates for them as they surpassed the 4-5 hours-of-play milestone and became more comfortable with complexity.

In UFC 4, we solved for the challenge of lack of available button inputs by implementing a tap vs tap-and-hold mechanic to strikes, clinch and grappling. This allows us to increase the depth of control and fluidity, but - not unlike UFC 3 - it comes at the cost of another learning curve to adapt to the new control scheme.

Here’s some good news to look forward to on that topic:

In just two days, we’ve received an astounding amount of data and feedback to help improve this system and are already hard at work to implement it for launch. We can’t say it enough: thank you! We’ve learned more about the mechanics and tuning from one technical test than we’ve been able to in months of work-from-home testing. This is incredibly valuable and will make the game better in a variety of ways.

The full game will include much better onboarding tutorials for the new controls and all of the new gameplay features in UFC 4. The closed beta was purely a gameplay technical test and, unfortunately, we weren’t able to include the menu tutorials or the Career Mode onboarding into the beta build. For the final product at launch, getting used to these new controls to take full advantage of the features should be much more seamless and enjoyable.

For those of you that try the new ground game controls and decide that it’s not for you, the menus provide the option to switch back to UFC 3 legacy controls at any time.

Last, but not least, the beta is just a small window into the final game. We can’t wait for you to try out the new modes like Blitz Battles, the new Career Mode, the Connected Fighter Profile for customized fighters, and all the other great new features in UFC 4.

We’ll be ending the closed beta tonight at midnight (12:00 am PST)****. Thank you again for your continued support and we can’t wait for you to play more UFC 4 on August 14.

Check in on the official UFC 4 website for more info and deep-dive looks on all the gameplay features, new modes, and more. We’ll be rolling out even more details about the changes and features coming to gameplay on July 21.

- The EA SPORTS UFC Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Fair play for all the info! Without it I would of jumped on the pre order ha!

I'll leave it till last minute now to decide what I'll do.

Fair play for all the info! Without it I would of jumped on the pre order ha!

I'll leave it till last minute now to decide what I'll do.

Well I'm still hoping people get it as we need to fill the usual Boards UFC Tourney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well I'm still hoping people get it as we need to fill the usual Boards UFC Tourney :)

Its usually a day one purchase for me so I'm hoping the final version improves!

Has there been any mention of a patch for next gen consoles or will they leave it as is until the next game?

Its usually a day one purchase for me so I'm hoping the final version improves!

Has there been any mention of a patch for next gen consoles or will they leave it as is until the next game?

No mention and that's interesting in itself. If UFC doesn't / didn't renew the contract, EA probably don't want to waste money on a next gen update that would be free like their other sports games. Pure speculation from me, I'd love to know about the contract renewal process and when/how it gets worked out.

Was waiting for this, Martial nails this, especially the problem with the ground grappling. Any of us that have played together, we all do the same thing when it goes to the ground......we wait. Wait for someone to move so you can deny and then get grappling advantage so your next transition is almost a certain. It's so rare you see that irl. Sure you get some stalls while both are planning their next move and that bjj is like chess waiting to counter your opponent but mostly in mma, they're always moving on the ground, scrambling to advance position, block, reverse. If you do that in ea ufc, your stamina shoots down and you get mounted or you're shot when you stand up.

Ground grappling in this isn't fun and their attempt to fix it with simplified grappling doesn't change the core. Also the not being able to transition when someone postures seems almost cartoony where they just want 'casuals' to hammer strikes to try finish the fight. None of that is gonna get fixed for the main game imo. BJJ is my favourite A of MMA and i understand it must be incredibly difficult to code a good ground game but it's just not fun in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Was waiting for this, Martial nails this, especially the problem with the ground grappling. Any of us that have played together, we all do the same thing when it goes to the ground......we wait. Wait for someone to move so you can deny and then get grappling advantage so your next transition is almost a certain. It's so rare you see that irl. Sure you get some stalls while both are planning their next move and that bjj is like chess waiting to counter your opponent but mostly in mma, they're always moving on the ground, scrambling to advance position, block, reverse. If you do that in ea ufc, your stamina shoots down and you get mounted or you're shot when you stand up.

Ground grappling in this isn't fun and their attempt to fix it with simplified grappling doesn't change the core. Also the not being able to transition when someone postures seems almost cartoony where they just want 'casuals' to hammer strikes to try finish the fight. None of that is gonna get fixed for the main game imo. BJJ is my favourite A of MMA and i understand it must be incredibly difficult to code a good ground game but it's just not fun in this game.

Watched it myself. Pretty much has the same issue as me.

Nate doesn't seem to be a fan :pac:

tlevn3q1w4c51.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Meh.. a lot of marketing hype and filler, very little we didn't already know after the beta. Would have liked more info on career mode but I fear they are just talking it up but it will turn out more or less the same as last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah nothing new there at all. I‘ve been playing UFC 3 a fair bit since the beta closed and it’s reminded me that it’s a really solid MMA game, from what I’ve played of 4, it feels like it’s gone backwards but hopefully the final product will deliver. Just not hyped for it at all though, unlike the last 3 UFC games.

It actually looked like a trailer for investors. Most of the big points the talked about were broken in the beta. Now they might have been fixed but I'd say any fans of the series would see that trailer as BS.

Martial Mind breaking down new trailer.

Career mode trailer tomorrow at 4pm Irish time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hopefully its a decent trailer, career mode is gonna probably play a big part in whether or not I get this at launch.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Hopefully its a decent trailer, career mode is gonna probably play a big part in whether or not I get this at launch.

I don't have high hopes. Brian Hayes mentioned a few times a big thing this year is player choice like you can now refuse fights like " if you get offered khabib, but don't want to fight him, you can turn it down. Careful though, turn down too many fights and you can be cut". It's a ****ing game, why would you turn down fights when the main goal is to reach GOAT status. Also, you could choose your fight on career in ufc 3 as well.

Also, i don't know if i like the fact you can only improve moves through using it in sparring and fights. It will lead to fights where you are constantly throwing the same move to improve it.

One thing i do like the sound of so far is you can have a full career in WFA winning the title and defending it before going to ufc.

Hopefully it has something more interesting than previous career mode as without ultimate team, i don't know how much longevity I'll get out of this if career is ****.

Career mode trailer tomorrow at 4pm Irish time.

Well that sounds really good but won't know the depth until we can actually try it which, holy ****, is next friday on ea access trial. I like the sound of how you can build your fighter, the coach davis figure although Davis MMA name is a bit lame, and the ko'ing sparring partners if you want to go the heel route. Looking forward to lashing into this.

Also, a few things look copy and pasted from last year like injuries and weigh ins.

I really don't know whether I'll start as backyard brawler, WFA or DW contender series. Glad ultimate fighter isn't v there, that was never implemented well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Looks really good! I've pre ordered there got the ea access and in game discounts for €56 or so :)

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Looks really good! I've pre ordered there got the ea access and in game discounts for €56 or so :)

Yeah, i couldn't pass it up for that price. Now, to see if the trailer tempted Axwell :)

To be fair to them it sounds decent - I just hope that it is unscripted like they say and you can have the journey you want on it. I assume while still unscripted you are forced at certain times to take certain options rather than being completely free to do what you want and then at that stage you are given choices to choose from.

I like the idea of replaying it going through the different organisations and routes to the UFC and the title but that appeal only works if your career does feel truly different each time you play it. Saying the same stuff to a different fighter just because you picked a different weight isn't enough, it needs to feel like you made the decisions and that makes a proper impact on your path.

Is the end game status the same as before do we know, get hired, win the belt and get GOAT status?

I have loads of idea's of how I would like it to be and how it would be great if it played that way but chances are that's not going to be what it's like so its more a case of what percentage of that it meets.

Its enough though right now to keep me interested anyway. Realistically there's not enough time between release and the beta feedback to make a lot of changes and fixes so I am hoping that the beta we got was a very early one and with the bigger issues that they already made a lot of improvements themselves just based off their own testing during development and that these were already implemented in the full game before they even dropped the beta and the feedback only compounded that those changes needed to be made when put in front of the players.

Probably will buy it but will be looking out to see what the cheapest option is. On a completely seperate note its really annoying that PSN doesnt allow you to change your profile region and store on your profile on a permanent basis - I understand why with content availability etc. But I have moved to the US and it means I have my Irish profile with all my PS plus games and digital purchases from before, but then a cheaper US store where id rather just move my profile to and use going forward. Will probably end changing to a new US profile and use that going forward and just let my Irish one expire next year and lose out on my content, I probably wont care as much when the PS5 comes out since i'll have less interest going back playing older games then.

Might be the best time to start a new US account so, get 7 day free trial with ea Access, download and install ufc 3 from it and get 20% discount off UFC 4.

Caught something absolutely class watching back the trailer. You start as a positive relationship with Colby and invite him to camp. You KO him in sparring. He tweets you should be cut as you couldn't last 2 rounds with him and then you can release the footage of the sparring ko on twitter. This leads to heated conference and a 'very high' hype fight. That was pretty cool.

Caught something absolutely class watching back the trailer. You start as a positive relationship with Colby and invite him to camp. You KO him in sparring. He tweets you should be cut as you couldn't last 2 rounds with him and then you can release the footage of the sparring ko on twitter. This leads to heated conference and a 'very high' hype fight. That was pretty cool.

Yeah, I noticed that, its the kind of thing I'm hoping happens off the back of it not being scripted - that your actions in camp and on social media can lead to potential fights but you don't have to take them. For example in the situation above you could already be training for an upcoming fight and then off the back of the camp with Colby have a fight with him lined up afterwards..but if you didn't KO him you would just have your fight that was scheduled and then continue on and find your next opponent as normal.

It would also be good if your actions of KO'ing him and the bad blood on social was something you could use later on, so maybe not fight him at the time but that bad blood remains and later on if he had moved up the rankings you could use your previous history with him to start some social media back and forth to try to build up a fight between you. Basically the freedom to engage with fighters when you want and not when the game wants or forces you to.

Might be the best time to start a new US account so, get 7 day free trial with ea Access, download and install ufc 3 from it and get 20% discount off UFC 4.

Yeah I have one that I have used to purchase a few games cheaper already, just haven't got a subscription for it and play the games on my Irish account. It works out fine for single player games or games where I am not going to buy any dlc that is locked to that account but might be time to just bite the bullet and move to it now.

• Advertisement

So, knowing what we know so far, how are ye starting career? What division you choosing? What's your fighting base (i think we can choose 2 out of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, bjj and a couple of others), what League are you starting in (i think it's a choice between amateur, wfa or DWCS).

Myself, i think I'll be going with a LW (jumping up to ww or down to fw means a nice choice of fights across 3 divisions. Definitely bjj background but as tempting as kickboxing or muay thai is, if it's like the last game, boxing will be the best choice for power, speed and chin. Then I'll be hoping to start amateur but not sure if backyard or kumite is part of career. If they are, will be picking backyard before moving into WFA and planning to stay there for a title run to help build up my fighter before moving to UFC. That's the plan in theory anyway.

Advertisement