Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2020

• 23-01-2020 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

This year's Tournament starts next Friday (31st Jan) - a bit earlier than usual I think. The 15-team, three-Conference format remains the same.

Australia Conference: Brumbies, Rebels, Reds, Waratahs, Sunwolves [Japan]

New Zealand Conference: Blues, Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders, Hurricanes

South African Conference: Bulls, Lions, Sharks, Stormers, Jaguares [Argentina]

Full fixture list HERE

Gatland's Chiefs will host the Crusaders (tournament favourites) on 8th Feb which should be a cracker!

If any team can stop the Crusaders winning 4 in a row, it's probably the Chiefs!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm expecting great things from the blues this year.

They have bolstered their team well with obviously BB, but marchand from quins could be a hit there too.

If they can sort out their defense I think they have a real shot.

I fear for my beloved Highlanders this year.
    Any team would really suffer the loss of Ben smith, luke whitelock, liam squire and waisake naholo...... But put on top of that, younger top class players like tevita li, Jackson hemopo, tyrel lomax.... And long Standing club Main stays like bucky, elliot Dixon, Marty banks, matt faddes and Tom Franklin...

Its a real changing of the guard. Only five players left from the team that won the final five years ago.....

I fear we will struggle to make the play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Don't think the Crusaders can be considered favourites tbh, as they've lost Read, Whitelock, Todd, Franks, Crotty, Hunt, and Taufua, and haven't adequately replaced them. Their backline is still quality - could see Goodhue moving to 12 and Ennor to 13 as they've got Bridge, Havili, Jordan, Reece and Mataele competing for game time in the back three, but their pack has been gutted and won't provide the same platform for the backs to work off this year. The efficiency of their pack and how well drilled they were was made the team what it was, no matter how fun the backs were to watch and I can't really see them replicating it. Backup 10 a real concern as well. I think there's been some doubt over the quality of Scott Robertson's coaching ability considering the team he had at his disposal (I don't agree), and this year could really be the making of him.

Chiefs are a very interesting side for me this time round. There are some holes in the squad, but they have international experience in the front row and I'm a huge fan of a backrow with Jacobson and Cane in it (providing they've properly recovered from their injuries). Really looking forward to seeing what Gatland can do with the pack. Centre partnership of ALB and Tupea has the potential to be great, and I hope Damien Mackenzie can comeback a similar player from before his injury. A lot may depend on how Cruden goes at 10.

All eyes on the Blues as well with Barrett signing for them. They will still lose. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm expecting great things from the blues this year.

They have bolstered their team well with obviously BB, but marchand from quins could be a hit there too.

If they can sort out their defense I think they have a real shot.

I fear for my beloved Highlanders this year.
    Any team would really suffer the loss of Ben smith, luke whitelock, liam squire and waisake naholo...... But put on top of that, younger top class players like tevita li, Jackson hemopo, tyrel lomax.... And long Standing club Main stays like bucky, elliot Dixon, Marty banks, matt faddes and Tom Franklin...

Its a real changing of the guard. Only five players left from the team that won the final five years ago.....

I fear we will struggle to make the play offs.

Stolen from Reddit but had to be posted....

q9VOvuz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I will be in Cape Town for 2 weekends Stormers are playing at home so reckon I'll go to at least 1. Can't remember who they're playing.

LLOLLLL

Paging Yeah Right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hahaha. **** you!!! It is our year! This is the year that Akira Ioane will take the ABs no. 8 jersey.

In all honesty I think this year's SR tournament will be interesting for the kiwis. A lot of top players are gone. Not just ABs but the next tier down as well.

I have no idea how the Blues will go. No doubt they will be both brilliant and crap. Isn't Beauden on sabbatical?

6 of the Sunwolves 23 are Japan qualified :(

Their team sheet reads like a place journeymens careers go to die

I fear this year is just going to be trouncing after trouncing for them.

Anyone interested in play the Superbru predictor game??

Join boards.ie SR2019, my Super Rugby Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/superrugby/pool.php?p=12188382

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

inchwads

sydthebeat wrote: »
    6 of the Sunwolves 23 are Japan qualified :(

Their team sheet reads like a place journeymens careers go to die

I fear this year is just going to be trouncing after trouncing for them.

I'm not really surprised to be honest, between it being the season after the world cup and their final season in super rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement

I'm not really surprised to be honest, between it being the season after the world cup and their final season in super rugby

the big change is the fact that the japanese top league is running pretty much concurrently with Super Rugby this year.

Round one started 12th january, and will run through to mid may.
    Their league is generally finished by this time

so all their internationals wont appear in super rugby this year

Looking forward to Super Rugby. I will be avoiding this thread tomorrow because I'm recording the game. I'll watch the Blues crush the Chiefs after work with a cold beer or 2.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Looking forward to Super Rugby. I will be avoiding this thread tomorrow because I'm recording the game. I'll watch the Blues crush the Chiefs after work with a cold beer or 2.

I see dmacs return is on hold ;)

I think the blues can cause an upset here

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Good start from the Blues, 12 : 0 after half an hour.

Same old blues :(

I'd like to refer to my earlier meme..... :D

They really should've won that, they were definitely the more dominant team for the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Good start for Gatland and Cruden was surprisingly decent off the bench. Blues desperately need Barrett back from his sabbatical.

hahashake wrote: »
    Good start for Gatland and Cruden was surprisingly decent off the bench. Blues desperately need Barrett back from his sabbatical.

Thought Perofeta was very poor in the first half. Not just kicking from the tee, but place kicking and decision making were sub-par as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Thought Perofeta was very poor in the first half. Not just kicking from the tee, but place kicking and decision making were sub-par as well.

He's not a bad player (not sure about his place kicking stats though) but he's been constantly sidelined with injury and is not the answer to the question of "when will the Blues have a world class 10?". Or 9 for that matter...

Still young so may one day be a world class player as he has shown glimpses.

hahashake wrote: »
    He's not a bad player (not sure about his place kicking stats though) but he's been constantly sidelined with injury and is not the answer to the question of "when will the Blues have a world class 10?". Or 9 for that matter...

Still young so may one day be a world class player as he has shown glimpses.

Absolutely. I think expectations were raised after he led the blues to a win over the British and Irish Lions and he looked a cut above at u20 level as well.

• Advertisement

Biggest disappointment for me was the blues handling and lack of control in the opposition 22.

id love to see stats as to how many games they have lost at Eden Park in the last say 5 years, after being leading at some stage during the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

The standard of rugby in the Bulls v Sharks game is shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is it 3 tries for a BP? Crusaders scored three so far here, scoreboard shows BP.

I've just seen the Sunwolves v rebels score

WTF??

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is it 3 tries for a BP? Crusaders scored three so far here, scoreboard shows BP.

Its 3 tries more than your opposition

FFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!
    Stupid ****ing Blues! For ****s sake!! Stupid bastard ****head Blues. 😡😡😡

Oh well. C'mon Liverpool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Stormers leading the hurricanes 19-0, still first half.

Canes lost some good players this year. When your best players are as wild and inconsistent as Jordie Barrett and Perenara then you're going to struggle when your pack isn't on top. They've also been giving away personalities and knock-ons for fun.

Anybody know why Lincoln McClutchie wasn't picked up by a super rugby team? Has to be better than some of the options I've seen this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Matias Moroni for the Jaguares....what a player!

• Advertisement

Canes lost some good players this year. When your best players are as wild and inconsistent as Jordie Barrett and Perenara then you're going to struggle when your pack isn't on top. They've also been giving away personalities and knock-ons for fun.

Anybody know why Lincoln McClutchie wasn't picked up by a super rugby team? Has to be better than some of the options I've seen this weekend.

I wouldn't call TJ wild and inconsistent. For the past couple of years I'd have rated him in the top 5 halfbacks in world rugby. Only watching the Canes game now so maybe he was crap in that.

McClutchie is playing in Japan for a season then back to Hawkes Bay. Needs to improve his kicking, from the tee and from hand but he's only 20 so plenty of time.

Advertisement