Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Discussion

Comments

Latest craic in Dublin covered

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gardai-probe-mans-claim-punched-14250710

I guess that eliminates the suspicion that it wasn't actually McGregor as some were insinuating lol

Another bender that went into the second day.

Doesn't seem to handle that well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Ffs, what a clown. I understand that he must get a lot of crap of people when he's just trying to have a few drinks with mates. If this crap continues he's going into the slammer when a judge that's sick of him is in front of him. He's going to end up with Notting if he doesn't get his sh1t together. He really needs a fight camp to get busy and away from this crap.

Also is it just me or does he look small in those photos? Could he go for the 145 belt again?

Ffs, what a clown. I understand that he must get a lot of crap of people when he's just trying to have a few drinks with mates.

or alternatively where he's been on the lash since the previous day (quite possible on something to keep him going) and totally the worse for wear, wearing the same clothes as was pictured in at the previous evening's function, comes into your local and is acting the loud obnoxious knob and someone asks him to pipe down a bit and then he hits them (albeit the guy may have mentioned the battering he got from Khabib in the exchange).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Seeing as it's topical at the moment (again), does getting busted for PED usage cause you to completely change your opinion of a fighter? I'm still a little undecided. In theory it should for me, but I also feel it's probably naive to think it's not fairly wide spread. In a game of inches, people will try anything to get an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It doesn't do anything for me, over the years I've just came to accept that any of the guys I liked when I first got into the sport were juiced up to the eyeballs and there's a great chance all of my current favourite guys are too, they're just smarter at it now as they are tested (somewhat) but they can beat the test, not always but they can. And this isn't just MMA as the testing in all the major sports are pretty much non existent.

The fact at two events 60% of track and field athletes admitted to taking performance enhancers at some point in the previous 12 months and they can only catch a tiny percentage shows the prevalence of use and effectiveness of testing. It's part of the game and always will be, if anything I think the long bans are horrible, acceptance of it going on and not hard lines is the way to go. Prohibition isn't going to work. The big sports have accepted this and ignore it.

Will fans accept accept a drop off in the level of fitness, skill, athleticism etc? I doubt it. What do I get out of the testing as a fan? Nothing but loss, Jon Jones banned, TJ banned etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If DC fails one I will be pretty disappointed, but other than him I wouldn't really care too much, just ban them and get on with it. As was said above, so many of my old favourites were caught at some point or had a very reasonable doubt, coupled with the steady stream of modern failures that I think I see the 'sport' as irrevocably tainted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Restraining order issued against BJ

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/04/ufc-bj-penn-restraining-order-physical-sexual-abuse-allegations

Edit - it seems to be an extension of a temporary one issued at the end of last year, still some distressing reading. BJs lawyer seems to think those documents shouldn't have been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Worst thing about that vid is Julian Dalby's trousers. Surely even in Miami they're a crime.

Guy wasn't even bothering McGregor really at all. Thinks he's above the law.

Re Peds and the UFC, the UFC have been total hypocrites in dealing with guys they want around Vs those they don't care about much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

glasso wrote: »
    Guy wasn't even bothering McGregor really at all. Thinks he's above the law.

Re Peds and the UFC, the UFC have been total hypocrites in dealing with guys they want around Vs those they don't care about much.

Always the way. Lesnar - 1 fight in 8 years which he got popped for yet his next fight will be for the Heavyweight championship.

Not just the UFC match makers though. Fighters too.

DC "This guy’s very, very deserving of a fight"

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/10/18304239/ufc-daniel-cormier-brock-lesnar-is-very-very-deserving-of-a-fight-mma-news

The Nal wrote: »
    Always the way. Lesnar - 1 fight in 8 years which he got popped for yet his next fight will be for the Heavyweight championship.

Not just the UFC match makers though. Fighters too.

DC "This guy’s very, very deserving of a fight"

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/10/18304239/ufc-daniel-cormier-brock-lesnar-is-very-very-deserving-of-a-fight-mma-news

Cormier is not the worst - wants a payday before he's done.

The UFC are the puppet-masters tho and have influence on the ped dealings and tests so I would lay the blame at their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If anyone deserves a big payday to set off into the sunset with, it's DC. The guy is a credit to the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've no problem with DC getting a payday.
    But he could do so and just say nothing. When he starts justifying Brock he comes across as hypothetical

Cormier is not the worst - wants a payday before he's done.

Agree
    The UFC are the puppet-masters tho and have influence on the ped dealings and tests so I would lay the blame at their feet.

Cormier is the one saying that a well known gear head is "very, very deserving" of a shot at the heavyweight title. Same line of PR Dana comes out with when theres money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Cormiers a hypocrite. All against steroids when it's Jones but happy to stand by Ruslan & push the Brock fight. Fair play to him though I'd do the same for that cash

ASOT wrote: »
    Cormiers a hypocrite.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Fair play to him though I'd do the same for that cash

32551263.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor said today on Twitter he broke his foot few weeks before the Khabib fight. This is 1st time I heard this. Has this news come out before??
    Seems to me he is doing everything possible to get the rematch next, which is something you have to admire about him. He is confident he can beat Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Conor said today on Twitter he broke his foot few weeks before the Khabib fight. This is 1st time I heard this. Has this news come out before??
    Seems to me he is doing everything possible to get the rematch next, which is something you have to admire about him. He is confident he can beat Khabib.

Hes confident he can get paid that's about it.

must have been really hurting a lot mmm

• Advertisement

SyxbtiO.jpg

Mc-Book-II.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Worst thing about that vid is Julian Dalby's trousers. Surely even in Miami they're a crime.

Ha!

McGregor was clearly irritated by the guy with the phone and talked to him before slapping the phone, so maybe he asked him to put it away (in an effin and blindin type of manner!) But what he did was utterly stupid, and then his entourage full of gombeens standing around scratching themselves instead of putting themselves in the way to protect their golden ticket.

Imagine somebody was in Floyd's face taking an unwanted photo. His entourage would sort it out in a blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It had been rumoured before the fight but Conor never confirmed it until now from what I remember.

coming out with an excuse 6 months after a fight is not a great look is it?

better not to mention it at all at this stage.

coming out with an excuse 6 months after a fight is not a great look is it?

better not to mention it at all at this stage.

Looks worse saying it in the post fight press conference tbh. For what it's worth I believe he did injure his foot, whether the severity of the injury is up for debate though

dulux99 wrote: »
    Looks worse saying it in the post fight press conference tbh. For what it's worth I believe he did injure his foot, whether the severity of the injury is up for debate though

compared to saying it immediate post-fight yes, would fully agree.

but not sure how much it adds now (more detracts?) towards getting a rematch due to the nature of the loss.

Tony Ferguson would have to feel aggrieved if he doesn't get the fight.

(has come through medical evaluations just the other day I see).

but this is the UFC organisation we are talking about.

but not sure how much it adds now (more detracts?) towards getting a rematch due to the nature of the loss.

If I had to guess I would say he probably never wanted to bring it up but probably cracked. But I dunno.

These days the UFC will always plump for the money fight. But I imagine they must be concerned about things properly boiling over after all the twitter stuff recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Good thing he spent most of the fight off the feet so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The reality tho is, Khabib v Mcgregor 2 will sell 2.5million ppv give or take bit both ways. It may even smash last fight if marketed properly and in way that Conor has a chance of redemption in the rematch.
    Khabib v Ferguson will sell 0.5million ppv.
    Fight organizers have to factor this in.
    I think a big obstacle now for rematch is being able to ensure safety between both opposition fighters, camps and fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

If Khabib McGregor 2 happens i think it will go through the roof. Over 3 millions ppvs I'd say.

Advertisement