Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Finish

• 20-10-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

From watching this video http://www.fightmagazine.com/mma-blogs/Ladd-Dunwoody/Pride-Knockout-Reel-74.html

I noticed Rampage seems to take it easy on his opponents once he knows he has them beaten, whereas Fedor, Cro Cop, Hendo and Wanderlei seem to smell blood and are at their most vicious.

What do people think about this? If you were fighting and you knew a guy would not recover do you/ would you hammer away until the ref steps in or do you ease off and sail over the finish line Usain bolt style?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Hammer until subbed, KOed or ref setps in.

Never be complacent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

great video thanks for posting!!!
    I agree with jason mc, take them out never leave it to the judges to settle it.

off topic some what , i forgot they allowed knees to a head of a downed opponent in pride.
    I hated this about it there where a few potentially good matches i saw stopped much to early because of it, some really vicious stomps in that video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

What do people think about this? If you were fighting and you knew a guy would not recover do you/ would you hammer away until the ref steps in or do you ease off and sail over the finish line Usain bolt style?

You never know that a guy won't recover. You can smash someone standing, throw them around like a rag doll, mount them, pound them again and again for three rounds and still there's the chance that he'll get a reversal and a quick submission or land one clean punch in the dying seconds.

It's a fighter's job to finish the fight - it's the referee's job to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

In the video in my first post there's quite a few guys that are (appear to be) out cold and still taking shots. Now I know that's part of the game but it was interesting to see Rampage ease off the kill once he felt the guy was done. (you can see in the clip against randleman, at the end he's not putting full power into the punches and they are glancing off randlemans head. The canvass seems to take more impact than randleman for some shots)

Fedor, Cro Cop, Hendo and Wanderlei however, seem to have to be dragged off guys even if they are out cold. Now I don't think what they are doing is wrong, but I wondered do other people hesitate at that point like Rampage?

I clearly remember Andre Arlovski pausing to tell the ref the fight should be stopped before throwing a few more half hearted punches to satisfy the ref.
    I think I also remember he had taken it easy when finishing one of his recent fights because his opponent had a neck injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

An unconcious opponent does not need to take anymore hits (this is what will cause fatalities/brain damage).This video really shows how important a good ref is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

calex71 wrote: »
    great video thanks for posting!!!
    I agree with jason mc, take them out never leave it to the judges to settle it.

off topic some what , i forgot they allowed knees to a head of a downed opponent in pride.
    I hated this about it there where a few potentially good matches i saw stopped much to early because of it, some really vicious stomps in that video too.

I think knees and stomps should be introduced. Elbows on the ground are more viscous IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Knees to the head possibly but stomps? cmon man they were just barbaric, there is no skill to stomping on a guys head or kicking him in the head when he is on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

stevemc01 wrote: »
    there is no skill to stomping on a guys head or kicking him in the head when he is on the ground.

Really? Have you ever tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

stevemc01 wrote: »
    Knees to the head possibly but stomps? cmon man they were just barbaric, there is no skill to stomping on a guys head or kicking him in the head when he is on the ground.

Try it, you will get heel-hooked or kneebarred if you dont do it right. Shogun was a master a stomps, super-quick so he was never caught in a leglock.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Bring back the days of the Chute Boxe bhoys stompin some heads!

• Advertisement
Advertisement