Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket in Ireland/Pimp your Club!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

Old Belevedere, ohh yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I played loads as a kid, until we moved to Mayo:eek: ...kinda put a halt to my fledgling international career !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i used to when i was younger, but being from tallaght, it wasnt the very "in" sport to play :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Warney

I play but i dont have a local club so I am going to try to join a Dublin one this year I spent all last summer practising on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Very popular in North County Dublin where the main clubs are Malahide, Rush, The Hills, North County, Balbriggan etc.

• Advertisement

its a pity there isnt a crappy league, that older first timers could join ,now that would be enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nor me. It really is a locale sport, no chance of it really stretching out beyond its grassroots.

The ICU should see if they can get a club into every county that currently doesnt have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ninja 101 wrote:
    Old Belevedere, ohh yeah!!!

hahah i played there,. when i was young.
    23 wickets in my season, yessss, never go back though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

its a pity there isnt a crappy league, that older first timers could join ,now that would be enjoyable

There is, it's called the Taveners league and a lot of teams have initially started out there before moving into the Junior leagues afterwards.

Plays with limited rules

20 overs per team
    every player (bar wicketkeeper) bowls two overs each
    you cannot be out first ball you face
    you cannot be out LBW
    when you score 20 you have to retire

It's good fun as a starting point, as for playing regularly myself I played a few seasons with North Wicklow and 2 years with Merrion but haven't played at all in about 4 years now.

Iago wrote:
    There is, it's called the Taveners league and a lot of teams have initially started out there before moving into the Junior leagues afterwards.

Plays with limited rules

20 overs per team
    every player (bar wicketkeeper) bowls two overs each
    you cannot be out first ball you face
    you cannot be out LBW
    when you score 20 you have to retire

It's good fun as a starting point, as for playing regularly myself I played a few seasons with North Wicklow and 2 years with Merrion but haven't played at all in about 4 years now.

really, where can i get more info on this?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Litcagral wrote:
    Very popular in North County Dublin where the main clubs are Malahide, Rush, The Hills, North County, Balbriggan etc.
    And in South Dublin - CYM Terenure, Merrion, YMCA, Pembroke, Railway Union, Leinster etc. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

really, where can i get more info on this?

cheers

Any of the senior cricket clubs have a taverners club afaik. I know that CYM and Leinster do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

how about a boards cricket club?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah good idea, i played for the seniors in belvidier [spell?] when i was 17, it was pretty good for a while, got a wicket or 2, but those men hit the ball well hard and catching it in the cold is pain !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I was born across the pond and played a little at school, until we moved to Ireland in '78. Didn't play again until I was in college in Tralee in the late 80s. Moved to Dublin and played a little with Merrion but work has got in the way for the last number of years.
    Have just moved to Balbriggan. Even if I don't get to play I am hoping to join Balbriggan CC next summer. To play again would be the real deal though.

BTW guess what I try to do with a cricket ball:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I played a bit at school in SA, but only a social whack about every now and then since... I'm 28 now ;)

legspin wrote:
    I was born across the pond and played a little at school, until we moved to Ireland in '78. Didn't play again until I was in college in Tralee in the late 80s. Moved to Dublin and played a little with Merrion but work has got in the way for the last number of years.
    Have just moved to Balbriggan. Even if I don't get to play I am hoping to join Balbriggan CC next summer. To play again would be the real deal though.

BTW guess what I try to do with a cricket ball:rolleyes:

its not sexually entoriated is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Anyone here played with Railway Union????
    Thinking of Joining for the up an coming season...would love some insite to the club.
    Played Taverners and a little senior league last season been in India all winter working on my bowling(Not)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Railway is a very good, club, multi-sports club with soccer, rugby, hockey tennis sections. Good facilities, bar, club house. The cricket team are good, in last 3 years runners-up in Irish Cup, also of the 1st team 4 are members of the Irish training squad, the most famour member of recent times ina player called Niall O'Brien who is playing with Kent, wicket keeper and played all last season in teh county championship as Gerant Joney was with England. Railway have 4 mens teams, and always welcome new members.

I am a member and former captain of the 1st team, if you want further information you can look at their website www.rucconline.com and get contact details or send me a mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

its not sexually entoriated is it?

I am offended, I have nothing to do, sexually or otherwise, with the Tory party:p

• Advertisement

Just thought i'd sticky this thread for people to pimp their own clubs and maybe tell us all the info we might need to go and join, e.g, location, when training starts, facilities, bar prices, sub costs....

This will be the only thread to shamelessly promote your club....any pimping elsewhere might lead to deletion and/or bannings.

I'd prefer not to see people spamming their club every other thread!:)

Dubhelp likes
    www.sandyfordcc.org:D

Thanks for the Info, I have already contacted the team and am looking forward to a bit of winter net action and the on coming season. And I doubt I'll be playing for the 1st's but hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

Try www.Sandyfordcc.org. we start our winter nets soon and have a very good mix of social and serious cricketers.

we also proudly hold the only Double D Cup at the end of each season. Essentially what this is is that we buy an oversized bra, usually left behind by one of the Leinster players, and cut it in half. We then have a double wicket competition whereby everyone bowls 2 overs and everyone bats 5. The winners then have to go around with the bra on top of their heads and were it to the annual dinner.

Our nets start in Wesley College, just beside the Luas on Feb 2nd at 9 o'clock. We run coaching courses for beginers and have serious sessions for our first team players. You also should be able to drink pints in order to play for Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Ichrio,

Which club have you contacted about playing for next season, if it is Railway I'm sure I'll see you at pre-season training.

Dubhelp wrote:
    Try www.Sandyfordcc.org. we start our winter nets soon and have a very good mix of social and serious cricketers.

we also proudly hold the only Double D Cup at the end of each season. Essentially what this is is that we buy an oversized bra, usually left behind by one of the Leinster players, and cut it in half. We then have a double wicket competition whereby everyone bowls 2 overs and everyone bats 5. The winners then have to go around with the bra on top of their heads and were it to the annual dinner.

Our nets start in Wesley College, just beside the Luas on Feb 2nd at 9 o'clock. We run coaching courses for beginers and have serious sessions for our first team players. You also should be able to drink pints in order to play for Sandyford.

when you say coaching for beginners, is that kids, or older beginners?

Both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

cloughy wrote:
    Railway ......, the most famour member of recent times ina player called Niall O'Brien who is playing with Kent.....

I presume you guys got free ear plugs playing with him ;)

Cloughy,

I have contacted Railway and am very Keen to join them, they have replied to my email and I know have a contact.
    I played a couple of games last year with Sandyford (no names) but I did'nt like the atmosphere, and Railway seems to be the better organised, (No disrepect to Sandyford)

To be honest I just wanna get stuck in and get some games under my belt, I love the team element of things and I love cricket.
    Just hope I can make a team.

• Advertisement

enjoy railway..see u in 2007

Advertisement